7AAA

spartaman

There is certainly a large gap in wins between the two programs, but what bothers me more than who's dominating who is the HUGH differance in support between the two programs.

It was a great atmosphere.

BMex, you are perceptive as usual. We can even tell it on this site. Except for you and about three or 4 others, its pretty silent. Even controversal doesn't drive the peeps out to post. Even mentioning players, etc. I happen to believe the support is there and it is partison but is somewhat underground. On my visits to Cookeville, there are times I see a lot in the stands and otherwise there is not much. A great deal of this has to do with the administration at the school. At the recent Volleyball State Tournament, Cookeville sent, I believe, 8 bus loads to the State at Siegel because the team was in the state. It was so impressive it was the talk of the tournament. it provided a great atmosphere, a little crowded, but a great atmosphere and the great fans at White, at a drop of the hat, gets the word out. These things wind up being the character of the school and the support of the AdM., the students and fans.

You hear some complaint about not enough fans attending from a number of schools. Maybe, just maybe, look from within and see whose driving the support and why. Parents can help and do but mostly someone has found the need for whose attending, to attend. Some laugh about RDman's chile supper and by the way, its quality chile and other things but support has to be developed by everyone and in White, I can say it truly everyone even when 85 takes the time to get on here and talk about hsi team and quite a few others take the time to read it and pay for those reserved seats down close to the floor and FEEL the ATMOSPHERE of the school when you walk in to the gym. Its when the White County Radio station broadcasts the games and those who can't go, tune in to see what going on. Some businesses understand the payback in advertising and do so. Thats high school sports.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverdale girls top Blackman as coach serves suspension

BY DEAN FOX ??? DNJ CORRESPONDENT ??? January 31, 2009

Post a CommentRecommend Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us

Facebook

Digg

Reddit

Newsvine

Buzz up! One of the coaches wasn't around for a neighborhood rivalry Friday night.

But the intensity was there nonetheless.

Riverdale's girls basketball team, playing without coach Hillary Maxwell, fought off a furious Blackman comeback to beat the Lady Blaze 58-52 District 7-AAA win Friday night, punctuating a wild and intense week.

Maxwell was serving the second of a two-game suspension. She was suspended by Rutherford County Schools Director Harry Gill after a TSSAA investigation found her program in violation of recruiting rules. The investigation of Riverdale stemmed from a letter sent to the TSSAA by Blackman athletic director Scott Lawless.

"I think this whole thing that's happened, I think people thought it would break us apart," Riverdale junior Natalie Lanning said. "But we've all hung in there really tightly, and at the end of the day, we just wanted to win."

The teams' earlier meeting also served as an interesting backdrop. Blackman beat the Lady Warriors earlier this month, a day after Riverdale was ranked No. 2 in the first Associated Press poll.

Although the lead never changed hands, the game was in doubt until the end.

Riverdale (19-4, 7-3) led 51-39 with less the five minutes to go, but Blackman pulled within 53-49 on a Shelby Campbell basket with 1:14 left. Campbell added three free throws with 22.2 seconds to go, cutting the deficit to 54-52.

The Lady Warriors' Jaclissa Haislip hit a pair of free throws to make it a four-point game. After Campbell missed a 3-pointer, Shacobia Barbee hit two more free throws for the final margin.

Barbee, a freshman, had a game-high 23 points, while Lanning added 19.

"Shacobia's playing so well right now," Riverdale assistant coach Steve Williams said. "We've relied on her so much, and when she's in there, she's going to go get a rebound or go get a basket."

Campbell led Blackman (13-5, 8-2) with 14 points, while Katie Smith added 10 ??” all before injuring her left knee with 3:01 left in the first half. She did not return.

The finish, along with the storylines, made for an energetic night. Both student sections were standing from the opening tip, trying to top the other

"The intensity makes it fun ??” it really does," Blackman coach Chad Hibdon said. "You come on the road and play in a game like this, it'll get you prepared for situations down the road."

Riverdale 58, Blackman 52

Blackman 12 14 9 17 ??” 52

Riverdale 13 18 11 16 ??” 58

Blackman-Shelby Campbell 14, Katie Smith 10, Norris 8, Overton 6, Dorsett 6, Bailey 4, Cox 2, Nowlin 2.

Riverdale-Shacobia Barbee 23, Natalie Lanning 19, Haislip 9, Henry 4, Azor 2, Spurlock 1.

last two weeks schedule before the District Tournament

Blackman

2-03Siegel @ Blackman

2-06Cookeville a blackman

2-10 oakland@Blackman

2-13 Blackman @ White

Cookeville

2-03oakland @ Cookeville

2-06 Cookeville @ blackman

2-10 Cookeville @ Warren

2-13 lebanon @ Cookeville

Lebanon

2-03 White @ lebanon

2-06 Lebanon@ Riverdale

2-10 Lebanon @ Siegel

2-13 Lebanon @ cookeville

Oakland

2-03 oakland @ Cookeville

2-06 White @ oakland

2-10 Blackman @ oakland

2-13 Warren @ Oakland

Riverdale

2-03 Riverdale@ Warren

2-06 lebanon @ riverdale

2-10 White @ Riverdale

2-13 Riverdale@ Siegel

Siegel

2-03 Siegel @ Blackman

2-06 Siegel @ Warren

2-10 Siegel @ lebanon

2-13 riverdale @ Siegel

White

2-03 White @ Lebanon

2-06 Wite @ oakland

2-10 White @ Riverdale

2-13 Blackman @ White

Warren

2-03 riverdale @ Warren

2-06 Siegel @ Warren

2-10 Cookeville @ Warren

2-13 Warren @ oakland

Fridge, this was a good post but you could see this coming. I have a feeling that this crew was hand picked to make sure nothing happened in the girls game nor in the boys game. Feelings were high at the two schools because of the drama that had happened and some undue publicity that never came to pass but suspension of a coach for 2 games over wording in a flyer. It was wrong wording on the flyer and the infraction should have been penaltized but this poster thinks the way the infraction was presented originally without much investigation only to find no violation there and a flyer infraction on investigation caused some confusion. These officials were not going to let something happen and the officials association is to be commended along with I am sure the TSSAA for giving a heads up. i am sure the things you said happened did happen but the court cops took over and there was order. And no one got hurt but Katie Smith with Blackman and I have no details on that.

Yeah when the red flag is thrown by the other school but got a lesson anyway. First game was luck flat out luck ! Go Warriors

Campbell can be too unselfish at times. I'd really like to see her try to shoot the 3 more.

The difference in the Blackman/Riverdale game last night was rebounding. Blackman could not rebound with Riverdale. When Katie Smith got hurt early in the 2nd quarter, it really hurt our inside game. Katie already had 10 points at that time and when she went out, it definitely affected Blackman. Barbee is really, really good especially for a Freshman. She has a great career ahead of her. As for the first game being a luck win by Blackman as Str8ballin says, what are you drinking? Riverdale barely won at home tonight. This game did go down to the wire. I was impressed that Blackman was able to go into Riverdale under high pressure and go toe to toe with a team that is suppose to be one of the top teams in the midstate. I have a feeling these 2 teams will meet again somewhere down the road.

The difference in the Blackman/Riverdale game last night was rebounding. Blackman could not rebound with Riverdale. When Katie Smith got hurt early in the 2nd quarter, it really hurt our inside game. Katie already had 10 points at that time and when she went out, it definitely affected Blackman. Barbee is really, really good especially for a Freshman. She has a great career ahead of her. As for the first game being a luck win by Blackman as Str8ballin says, what are you drinking? Riverdale barely won at home tonight. This game did go down to the wire. I was impressed that Blackman was able to go into Riverdale under high pressure and go toe to toe with a team that is suppose to be one of the top teams in the midstate. I have a feeling these 2 teams will meet again somewhere down the road.

While I would think so, many realize the value of K. Smith to the Blackman Team. Is there any word on how serious the injury is? She is a part of the puzzle Blackman needs to do well in the Tourney and after. of course, you and the Blackman fans realize that it is about 3 weeks before the Tournament and a lot can happen or mend.

By the way, I appreciate your post and your candiness about blackman. We don't have enough first hand posters from the school, who we respect. You have no reason to remain quiet, this year you are the real deal. You have an excellent coach and a group of players that have the ability to step up. This years Tournament will be one of the best ever but Blackman does need K. Smith to win in and out of the District. And you have it right, and it does start with a big R.

O agree with your post katie smith going down really hurt yall it was a great battle between her and barbie I do not call the first game luck i thought we just didnt hit our shots and shelby had a great game was happy to see us do a better job of defending her she got 14 but she worked to get them...I thought we was in control most of the night and when blackman would close the gap we would extend it back i also agree we will meet again

I forgot to give props to the student section it was the best it has been all year and for those that were their i am not sure if you noticed a lot of kids was wearing black the reason for that was for support of our coach and their girls it was great to see the students come out and makes for a great atmosphere i hope they can continue to come out and support these teams

GO LADY WARRIORS

While I would think so, many realize the value of K. Smith to the Blackman Team. Is there any word on how serious the injury is? She is a part of the puzzle Blackman needs to do well in the Tourney and after. of course, you and the Blackman fans realize that it is about 3 weeks before the Tournament and a lot can happen or mend.

By the way, I appreciate your post and your candiness about blackman. We don't have enough first hand posters from the school, who we respect. You have no reason to remain quiet, this year you are the real deal. You have an excellent coach and a group of players that have the ability to step up. This years Tournament will be one of the best ever but Blackman does need K. Smith to win in and out of the District. And you have it right, and it does start with a big R.

Concerning Katie Smith, I have no inside info on her injury. I know she keeps tweaking her knee over and over again. My guess is that she will be back soon but if she does come back the question will be how long will it be before she tweaks it again.

Although the Suami likely has a breather this week every game has significance just by having an impact on the standings and possibly the tournament. Siegel/Blackman and Lebanon /White are the two close ones to watch. Siegel needs this win to stay in front of lebanon for 5th place in District standing. While their game with Oakland did not show their true potential, you can bet they remember the game at Blackman and Siegel is always tough at home. The Lebanon/White game is significant and emotional as it is the final game in the LHS gym for the last of the Twin Towers, Icelyn Elie. Elie is not only a great player but one of the best female athletes to come out of Lebanon High School. It is very likely that a great crowd will be there to pay tribute to this fine player and the Schools team who is competing with Siegel for 5th place in the district.

Oakland goes to Cookeville and will face a team that at the end of the season seems to have jelled into a real threat for the district title and possibly a Regional Birth. Cookeville will pay tribute to its seniors the last game of the year at Cookeville, next week. And Riverdale will go to Warren which has been a date the Pioneers have dreaded each year. Barbee and Haisilip are great players and riverdale is expected to have little trouble. So unless someone from up the road jumps in to challenge him, the Suami will be here Monday to predict these games. Airball has taken an extended vacation and came back and lost his chrystal Ball and accused the Suami of taking it but that is another story. Strange though that reports have come back of a Ball being found in Sparta and 85 has been reporting, wonder...................................no it couldnt be. Someone will show up.

The Lebanon/White game is significant and emotional as it is the final game in the LHS gym for the last of the Twin Towers, Icelyn Elie. Elie is not only a great player but one of the best female athletes to come out of Lebanon High School. It is very likely that a great crowd will be there to pay tribute to this fine player and the Schools team who is competing with Siegel for 5th place in the district.

Not so fast my friend.

1. On Monday, February 16th, the Lebanon Devilettes will entertain the Wilson Central Lady Wildcats at Campbell Brandon Gymnasium.

2. First Round Districts

3. First Round Region

4. Substate

Ok 2-4 is pushing it, but it is possible.