South Doyle @ Knoxville Halls

ZCAR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runkle both those kids are truely amazing. If for talent alone they can and did either motivate or change games by their own athletic assets. Both programs as with Maryville knows you need a great team leader in the QB slot. It could be just a running QB but High School Football has changed and passing is required as well. Powell on offense runs better than ours because they can mix things up when the need arises. They may not have as many playmakers(runningbacks) but they can hone and distribute as necessary. Again a great testament to our defense kept us in all the games this year and many of those have 2 way duties. I agree somewhat that our grind it out 3 yards and a cloud of dust kept our D off the field for good periods of time(witness game 1 against Maryville) but eventually we run out of gas.

Next year will Halls have a stud defense like this year? Perhaps if we work hard in the off season. But positioning our players in the correct places will be paramount to next season success. Also, execution in all phases of the game not just running is required. I won't pick on the coaches or the Wing-T. But I will say we need a little variety to keep other defenses off balance. So perhaps we tried by passing on first down because of our weaknesses. Third down passing will always be a toss up for us. Last year was different because we had a wideout that when he touched the ball scored every fourth or fifth opportunity he had. We didn't seem to have that type individual this year. Can we find another one next year? I think we have to try. If we do you keep more kids interested in our program and it ultimately helps our running game. Halls generally has the defense in line with Coach J. The microscope will be on the offense going into next year. I feel most Halls fans agree from what I hear and on these threads.

I can't imagine that the Halls coaches just didn't notice our glaring weaknesses in the passing game or just refused to do anything about it and focus on the run-only approach. From the games I saw (Bearden comes to mine) pass plays were called to open areas that were either dropped, not thrown, sacked, etc... On top of that, I wonder how many times passes were called at the right time that were executed poorly because the kids did the opposite of what they were coached to do. I would have to think that Coach Julian and staff tried to work out these problems, but for whatever reason, the passing game never clicked. Now, I'm sure that there were many bad calls on both sides of the ball throughout the season and by no means am I suggesting that it was all the kids' fault, but again we don't know how much was bad play selection in comparison to poor execution going against what the players were taught in practice. I think we should all keep in mind that it's never as good as it seems and never as bad as it seems.

Could that be a problem for this year if we don't pursue a passing league? Did it hurt us this year? Ironmantoo said some of the kids were running the wrong routes or confused. Wouldn't this firm up our offense against other defenses and promote confidence for the upcoming campaign.

Runkle,

Variety..............Shotgun every now and then. Spread the field at least give some of these defensive coordinators some sleepless nights having to contend not only with the Wing-T but the element of surprise too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not for a total makeover. I think personel selection is as important as the plays called on given situations. I just hope the Coaching staff finds the right individuals to run the offense more effiencently. I will stay mooted this year going into next season but a Gibson, Mclaughlin pairing is a great start. Find a punishing fullback for the hard earned yards and the running game is locked. My main thought is QB and wideouts and how we can find some consistency. We seemed to spread the wealth around this year is that the right option. Most programs have a couple of go to guys that the QB has a good feeling with.

That right there tells the kids that passing is not part of the Halls offensive scheme. Many teams that run the ball 70% of the time go to a passing camp or league. If kids think they are just going to run the ball all the time, then you will lose a few players to that. While it also tells the kids that learning to pass and catch does not belong or have any priority at Halls.

That right there tells the kids that passing is not part of the Halls offensive scheme. Many teams that run the ball 70% of the time go to a passing camp or league. If kids think they are just going to run the ball all the time, then you will lose a few players to that. While it also tells the kids that learning to pass and catch does not belong or have any priority at Halls.

Nailed it head on. How many Halls fans are in denial they can improve without the passing game. I guess everyone is happy with 4-6 or 5-5 or even 6-4 if the stars all align right. It won't get better until reality sets in.

Halls has a good coaching staff. Even before Julian took over Halls was losing great (really great) players to other schools, due to lack of any passing game. Teams must be able to run the ball. Which Halls does a really good job with, but the passing game opens up so much for the running game. I've always thought the passing game opens up the run, and the running game opens up the pass. Hillsboro played Maryville a couple of years ago and should have won. They could not throw the ball, and it really showed. Hillsboro tried to throw at the end of the game, but it looked like they were just drawing it up in the dirt. They could not even run a hot route with the TE.

I have to agree also. We looked so much better last year with a threat of a passing game and it didn't hurt we had a talented receiver in Dayton to catch the ball. It had to open up more holes for Kitts to have a banner year running the ball. I think if you sat down with the coaching staff they do cater to whats available to them. Perhaps this year they didn't have the confidence in losing a down to a miscue or a drive busting incompletion. I think what our running game did without the threat of the pass was impressive. So the difference between 7-3 and 4-6 has to be the passing game doesn't it?

I have to second Halls has a excellent Head coach and staff. They give so much to the program that can not be just judged on wins and losses. I have enjoyed some of the parents posts on here that have made that much very clear. So I suppose we have to lick our wounds for this year and learn to improve what needs improving.