Team accomplishmnets vs Individual accolades

OLD PIRATE

As an older fan Old Pirate has seen a lot thru the years and the team goals have always been stated as the ultimate goal. Back in the days of the old SVC OP remembers well SP coaches making statements like............."Well guys, the coaches in the valley don't think SP has any super stars but a whole lot of individual players working together and all they can do is win football games! What............ an impression that made on this OP.

OP remembers well great teams of the past in the valley from South Pittsburg's original state championship team to Stevenson's championship years prior to consolidation in Ala. to Jasper's great run under Coach Ken, followed up by South Pittsburg's present day successes.Every team had good players but None had any to play on Sundays and few to have successful college carreers. The point is this......, most of us folks are average at everything we do, so the percentages that our kids will be great super stars is what dreams are made of. Yes.........................they can come true but not by anyone else but the individual seaking those dreams.

OP says there have been threads regarding the negatives in todays society regarding parent interferrence. OP thinks it's about time for some constructive, positive remarks about todays society regarding athletics. That said.........OP encourages all who have youngons to let the kids play.

OP's (3) recommendations to young parents toward their child's playing sports. (1) Remind them it IS a game. (2) Encourage/remind them to DO the BEST they can do and (3) HAVE A GOOD TIME DOING IT. These things accomplished will provide your kids with plenty of great memories and EARNED TEAM & INDIVIDUAL awards and accomplishments will follow. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an older fan Old Pirate has seen a lot thru the years and the team goals have always been stated as the ultimate goal. Back in the days of the old SVC OP remembers well SP coaches making statements like............."Well guys, the coaches in the valley don't think SP has any super stars but a whole lot of individual players working together and all they can do is win football games! What............ an impression that made on this OP.

OP remembers well great teams of the past in the valley from South Pittsburg's original state championship team to Stevenson's championship years prior to consolidation in Ala. to Jasper's great run under Coach Ken, followed up by South Pittsburg's present day successes.Every team had good players but None had any to play on Sundays and few to have successful college carreers. The point is this most of us folks are average at everything we do, so the percentages that our kids will be great super stars is what dreams are made of. Yes.........................they can come true but not by anyone else but the individual seaking those dreams.

OP says there have been threads regarding the negatives in todays society regarding parent interferrence. OP thinks it's about time for some constructive, positive remarks about todays society regarding athletics. That said.........OP encourages all who have youngons to let the kids play.

OP's (3) recommendations to young parents toward their child's playing sports. (1) Remind them it IS a game. (2) Encourage/remind them to DO the BEST they can do and (3) HAVE A GOOD TIME DOING IT. These things accomplished will provide your kids with plenty of great memories and EARNED TEAM & INDIVIDUAL awards and accomplishments will follow. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If you cant put the team first youre selfish in my book, I mean without the team how could any one player accomplish anything? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

If you cant put the team first youre selfish in my book, I mean without the team how could any one player accomplish anything? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

No "I" in TEAM last time I checked....football isn't a one on one game. Takes a whole team to win the battle /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> My nephew is a great qb...BUT he has great receivers, "o" line, running backs and so on....if one is down the others pick up the slack....THEY COLLECTIVELY make each other look great. Play as a "unit" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No "I" in TEAM last time I checked....football isn't a one on one game. Takes a whole team to win the battle /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> My nephew is a great qb...BUT he has great receivers, "o" line, running backs....if one is down the others pick up the slack....THEY COLLECTIVELY make each other look great. Play as a "unit" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No "I" in team but there is an"M" and an "E" . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

No "I" in team but there is an"M" and an "E" . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Reckon there is if you get into searching for words within words /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Come on, Old Pirate, do you really think someone is going to get on this thread and seriously say they choose an individual award over a team accomplishment. Surely you jest...

Why not........................................................? Old Pirate says some folks are always about Little Johnny instead of winning championships.

OP won't be surprised to hear someone on here complaining about some player not be able to pad stats or something. Probably not the player but some fan who sees a player as the next Bo or T.O.

Well now dadgum, aren't you the deep thinking stuff stirring Pirate these days !! Thought provoking to say the least.

Team .. a group of individuals working together towards a common goal.

Team building skills are taught not bought or picked up hanging on the fence. This should start at the top with coaches, umbrella out to include support staff at the schools. Also including parents. Everyone could use a few team building exercises, maybe even make it a requirement if your child plays sports of any kind in a school system.

By the way, I can hook anyone up with the above mentioned team building skills .. I have a barn to clean out !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> !!

Oh, and without trust, how can there be a team?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, team accomplishment over individual accolades EVERY season. I have seen many high school football teams in my years and that includes many with one or two outstanding players. But, I've yet personally seen one of those teams take the big prize at the end.

Odd as it may seem, last season's class A championship game was a pretty good example. McKenzie didn't have any superstars on the roster but, we beat some teams with one or two top of the line players to get to the 'Boro. I didn't notice any one player that really stood out for South Pittsburg either. Heck, they all stood out!!! Old Pirate, it is kinda hard to look at South Pittsburg and think "a team of average players" for me and many others. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Thats not to say that ya'll aren't about team because ya'll are definitely about team!!

It's impressive how ya'll seem to be in the hunt every season and have been since back in the '70's that I know of. And that is "team".

Old Pirate says some folks are always about Little Johnny instead of winning championships.

That's going on at the University of Tennessee right now. I am told that Jonathan Crompton and his parents are steamed because he lost the starting QB job, even to the point of his family walking out of the stadium when Stephens was announced in the lineup.

I would be interested in hearing from the kids, individually. "Would you rather get Mr. Football or win a state championship?" I think I know how 99% would answer.

Football is a team sport, always has been and always will be! No one man is bigger than the team, whether he is the best player on that team or not, he cannot do it without his teammates. That is something people really do not look at these days because it is all about that one superstar, but if that superstar was on the field by himself with 11 players coming at him, he would not be the superstar everyone loves. Play and simple, you play to win team championships, not Mr. Football, Heisman, MVP, or anything else! If you step out onto that field and you're playing for yourself and individual accomplishments and not for your teammates, coaches, and fans, then you don't need to be playing! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />