Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Cocke Co.

D2 #1 Morristown West

D1 #4 Sullivan South

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Morristown West

D1 #2 Science Hill

D2 #3 Greeneville

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Science Hill

My early thoughts:

The Jeff County game will be very competitive. According to reports, Central played very well without Whitney Moody tonight, but could be in the wounded animal syndrome...may not last. They get the advantage of playing at home, but I still think it will be very close.

Tenn High has to come to the Hen House, and I think that makes the differnece for Cocke County. Tenn High is a guard oriented team, Cocke County has tons of height. Classic matchup.

West in a romp.

Greeneville I think has too much for Science Hill.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

D1 #1 Sullivan Central

D2 #4 Jefferson Co.

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Sullivan Central

D2 #2 Cocke Co.

D1 #3 Tennessee High

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Cocke Co.

D2 #1 Morristown West

D1 #4 Sullivan South

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Morristown West

D1 #2 Science Hill

D2 #3 Greeneville

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Science Hill

The IMAC should take three of these games, at least.

The lone question mark is the Cocke County/Tennessee High game. A 20+ win basketball team will go home on Friday night.

However, like I told someone tonight and been saying since Friday... If you're Cocke County and had your choice to get this team on Friday at your place, or on the following Monday at Dobyns-Bennett in a semifinal (had they won the District Title), I'd take them at your place on Friday everytime.

Cocke County may not win on Friday, their season very well may end, but I'd rather have the tougher team at home.

I think a sub-state berth is on the line in this one, given the two teams in the other half of the upper bracket...

The IMAC should take three of these games, at least.

The lone question mark is the Cocke County/Tennessee High game. A 20+ win basketball team will go home on Friday night.

However, like I told someone tonight and been saying since Friday... If you're Cocke County and had your choice to get this team on Friday at your place, or on the following Monday at Dobyns-Bennett in a semifinal (had they won the District Title), I'd take them at your place on Friday everytime.

Cocke County may not win on Friday, their season very well may end, but I'd rather have the tougher team at home.

I think a sub-state berth is on the line in this one, given the two teams in the other half of the upper bracket...

Does anyone have the exact brackets for the region tournament? I thought The winner of the West game would play the winner of the Greeneville game on Mon. in the semis. Is this not correct?

Does anyone have the exact brackets for the region tournament? I thought The winner of the West game would play the winner of the Greeneville game on Mon. in the semis. Is this not correct?

That is correct. The teams are listed in bracket order, so the winners of the two top games play for a sub state berth, as do the winners in the lower two games.

Musings and thoughts on last night and on the "end of the IMAC as we know."

Game 1. For 5 years I have watched Nicole Dickson with a bit of awe. She left the IMAC as she came in, dominating. She simply carried G'ville in the 3rd quarter and into the 4th when the game was in doubt. Even against us, she has been a joy to watch. I would be curious to know where she stands in the list of all-time scorers in the IMAC, I would think that she has to be in the top few. I would assume that she is in the 1600-1800 points category. I am sorry that she is going across the state to play as it will be difficult to watch what she does at Memphis. I would also add that I was wrong about this game - I thought G'ville would be more intense especially on defense and they weren't. Outside of Nicole I saw very little energy or intensity from G'ville which is their trademark. They will have to handle the athleticism of SH, but with better defense than they had last night. Jeff you played very well at home this week. Your game appears very dependent on making 3's. Against us 3 weeks ago, you could not put it in the ocean, but you did during the tournament. You caught a bit of break, if you can make some 3's you can win at SC. We won at SC, you can too.

Game 2. What on offensive performance by Mo West! In our last game against West, we did not take anything away from them - nothing. Last night we had a solid defensive plan. Double down on Taylor; don't let Smith have 3's and keep Fanning and Goins in front of you. We did that, except Watson went ballistic and Goins instead of shooting 3's went mid-range and made them. And Fanning said, you don't want to guard me, fine and she drained her shots. However, what impressed me most about Mo West, was their ball control offense. They have 3 people - Hall, Goins and Fanning (and maybe Smith) who can beat you off the dribble. They get a lead, make you come guard them and drive around you. If some one comes to guard you, just pull it out and do it again - eventually you will score. This game was over at 37-22 at 6:30 to go in 3rd quarter. They played ball control after that and we just aren't quick enough to challenge them after they get a lead. In our last game against West, Gaylon called 3 time-outs in the last 3-4 minutes, after that game was over, and was really going after his team about his ball control game - last night it paid off. Incredible team performance from all 7 players. We are not a bad team and you made us look silly. The only "chink" could be once an offense gets beyond the perimeter defense, I think that you are a bit vulnerable on the inside - maybe not to scoring but to fouls - see Jalaese, who should have been on the floor much more last night and Allie S. from last night. When we did that in the first half, Jalaese scored and Goins and Hall both had 2 fouls. We just refused to do that more. Mo West fans and students, not just parents only, you need to get behind this team. Do not take them for granted - they are something special!

I have searched for a word or phrase to describe the Lady Red over the past month. The confidence of beating Webb, Science Hill, DB, Sullivan Central, Heritage, Pigeon Forge, Shelbyville and G'ville is all gone. We have been beaten soundly in 3 of the past 5 games. Against a good defense our offense has struggled all year. We simply refuse to run our offense and then when we do create mis-matches or one-on-one situations, we become very passive. Teams get better as the season goes on and with our lack of discipline we can't match them. The only phrase I can come up with is we have lost the "courage to compete." We still play hard, but we don't make the hustle plays we did. We still want to win, but give up if somebody makes a couple of baskets. And we are quick to blame officials, Wade, parents, . . . anything. We just want the easiest way out - like not having to play G'ville to get to the finals. I am so disappointed for (not in, but for) them (especially the seniors who were pretty distraught last night), b/c they believe still they are better than what they have shown the past 3 weeks and especially last night. Wade is close to losing the attention and focus of this team. The only advantage we have is that we are playing at home against Tenn where we only lost to Mo West.

I would disagree with some of the awards last night. Why did East get 2 All-Conference players - I'm sure there was a tie somewhere? A case can be made for either but not both. If we are going to award a number based on end of the year team positions, then Cherokee and Jeff got cheated. I am not sure who got left off the all-tournament team from Mo West, but I could make the case for all 7 or at least the starters. Goins would have been my tournament MVP. I believe that 9 of the 11 All-Conference are underclass(wo)men.

I am a bit sad to see the IMAC go. I think picking up Sevier will be good for CCHS - Sevier, Jeff, Mo West and G'ville should be our natural rivals. I am sorry to see G'ville go, especially to 2A. While it may be a good move in football, I doubt that it is in other sports. I would not be surprised if G'ville does not lose a boys coach over this and the fiasco last week (and some may like that). Being a Newport native, Billy D has always been good to Newport kids including mine.

Since I suspect we will all move to a region board now and as my girl graduates, and the end of this board is near, I want to thank those of you who actually read my long rants and responded in kind. This is the only board of any kind that I respond to and it has been cathartic for me and allowed me to enjoy my daughter's playing days a bit more. It has been a good ride. Thank you.

Game 1. For 5 years I have watched Nicole Dickson with a bit of awe. She left the IMAC as she came in, dominating. She simply carried G'ville in the 3rd quarter and into the 4th when the game was in doubt. Even against us, she has been a joy to watch. I would be curious to know where she stands in the list of all-time scorers in the IMAC, I would think that she has to be in the top few. I would assume that she is in the 1600-1800 points category. I am sorry that she is going across the state to play as it will be difficult to watch what she does at Memphis. I would also add that I was wrong about this game - I thought G'ville would be more intense especially on defense and they weren't. Outside of Nicole I saw very little energy or intensity from G'ville which is their trademark. They will have to handle the athleticism of SH, but with better defense than they had last night. Jeff you played very well at home this week. Your game appears very dependent on making 3's. Against us 3 weeks ago, you could not put it in the ocean, but you did during the tournament. You caught a bit of break, if you can make some 3's you can win at SC. We won at SC, you can too.

Game 2. What on offensive performance by Mo West! In our last game against West, we did not take anything away from them - nothing. Last night we had a solid defensive plan. Double down on Taylor; don't let Smith have 3's and keep Fanning and Goins in front of you. We did that, except Watson went ballistic and Goins instead of shooting 3's went mid-range and made them. And Fanning said, you don't want to guard me, fine and she drained her shots. However, what impressed me most about Mo West, was their ball control offense. They have 3 people - Hall, Goins and Fanning (and maybe Smith) who can beat you off the dribble. They get a lead, make you come guard them and drive around you. If some one comes to guard you, just pull it out and do it again - eventually you will score. This game was over at 37-22 at 6:30 to go in 3rd quarter. They played ball control after that and we just aren't quick enough to challenge them after they get a lead. In our last game against West, Gaylon called 3 time-outs in the last 3-4 minutes, after that game was over, and was really going after his team about his ball control game - last night it paid off. Incredible team performance from all 7 players. We are not a bad team and you made us look silly. The only "chink" could be once an offense gets beyond the perimeter defense, I think that you are a bit vulnerable on the inside - maybe not to scoring but to fouls - see Jalaese, who should have been on the floor much more last night and Allie S. from last night. When we did that in the first half, Jalaese scored and Goins and Hall both had 2 fouls. We just refused to do that more. Mo West fans and students, not just parents only, you need to get behind this team. Do not take them for granted - they are something special!

I have searched for a word or phrase to describe the Lady Red over the past month. The confidence of beating Webb, Science Hill, DB, Sullivan Central, Heritage, Pigeon Forge, Shelbyville and G'ville is all gone. We have been beaten soundly in 3 of the past 5 games. Against a good defense our offense has struggled all year. We simply refuse to run our offense and then when we do create mis-matches or one-on-one situations, we become very passive. Teams get better as the season goes on and with our lack of discipline we can't match them. The only phrase I can come up with is we have lost the "courage to compete." We still play hard, but we don't make the hustle plays we did. We still want to win, but give up if somebody makes a couple of baskets. And we are quick to blame officials, Wade, parents, . . . anything. We just want the easiest way out - like not having to play G'ville to get to the finals. I am so disappointed for (not in, but for) them (especially the seniors who were pretty distraught last night), b/c they believe still they are better than what they have shown the past 3 weeks and especially last night. Wade is close to losing the attention and focus of this team. The only advantage we have is that we are playing at home against Tenn where we only lost to Mo West.

I would disagree with some of the awards last night. Why did East get 2 All-Conference players - I'm sure there was a tie somewhere? A case can be made for either but not both. If we are going to award a number based on end of the year team positions, then Cherokee and Jeff got cheated. I am not sure who got left off the all-tournament team from Mo West, but I could make the case for all 7 or at least the starters. Goins would have been my tournament MVP. I believe that 9 of the 11 All-Conference are underclass(wo)men.

I am a bit sad to see the IMAC go. I think picking up Sevier will be good for CCHS - Sevier, Jeff, Mo West and G'ville should be our natural rivals. I am sorry to see G'ville go, especially to 2A. While it may be a good move in football, I doubt that it is in other sports. I would not be surprised if G'ville does not lose a boys coach over this and the fiasco last week (and some may like that). Being a Newport native, Billy D has always been good to Newport kids including mine.

Since I suspect we will all move to a region board now and as my girl graduates, and the end of this board is near, I want to thank those of you who actually read my long rants and responded in kind. This is the only board of any kind that I respond to and it has been cathartic for me and allowed me to enjoy my daughter's playing days a bit more. It has been a good ride. Thank you.

Thank you for your insight and most of all for your support of your team, and doing it in such a classy manner. I agree with most everything you said. As we go into the region I wish all the IMAC teams the best of luck. You will miss these days more than you know, I have been there, as my daughter graduated a few years ago. It is a fun ride if you don't let some people take the FUN out of it!

I don't know what has gotten into the Lady Red either. They have just been sliding downhill for weeks now. West just seems to play their best ball against us. They play like a boy's team really. They can take people one on one off the dribble and either take it up or pull up for a jumper like many girls just can't do. This team has a real shot at state because they are almost unguardable . Can't focus on Hall all night because the others will make you pay.

You're right about CCHS not wanting to run an offense. We have four six foot girls. West has one weakness really, their inside defense. We just simply refuse to take advantage of that. I have no idea why. We need to work in out of the post against Tennessee High and come together and play as a team, or the girls are probably done for the season.

Can someone post the all conference and all tournament teams? Thanks

All-Conference

Morristown West ??” Sidney Goins, Kelley Smith

Greeneville ??” Nicole Dickson, Morgan Shipley

Cocke County ??” Shannon Depew, Morgan Buda

Jefferson County ??” Haley Nelson

Morristown East ??” Leah Leeper, Kayla Orrick

Cherokee ??” Casey Ryans

Player of the Year ??” Taylor Hall, Morristown West

Coach of the Year ??” Johnny Galyon, Morristown West

All-Tournament Team

Kayla Orrick - Morristown East