Grades/Question

catmommy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question some one ask me and I do not know the answer to.

If a child makes an F on their report card do they have to sit out so many games or is it just midterm grades that the TSSAA goes by?

its the grades at semester. and i dont think one F will do it. its based on total gained credits. the school or coach may have rules of thier own regarding grades and such. i know i do

I have a question some one ask me and I do not know the answer to.

If a child makes an F on their report card do they have to sit out so many games or is it just midterm grades that the TSSAA goes by?

Great question.....all I know is that star players don't get F's, EVER.....FOR SOME REASON!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Now, a kid with marginal talent is an entirely different story!!!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

TSSAA rule regarding grades:

If a player earns five credits at the end of a school year (summer credits included), they are eligible to play all sports the next school year. No longer do they become ineligible during the school year as they once did.

If a player does not earn five credits they are ineligible but may become eligible at mid-term if they at that time pass five subjects.

School districts and individual schools may pass stricter guidelines if they choose to, but they all have to adhere to the TSSAA minimum requirements.

I agree! Way back when I know my coach said 1- (F) and you did not play you could not practice until next grading period and then it had to be a © or you did not play. School is for learning some of these coaches forget about that they are in it for a Win they do not care for these kids futures.

I agree! Way back when I know my coach said 1- (F) and you did not play you could not practice until next grading period and then it had to be a ?© or you did not play. School is for learning some of these coaches forget about that they are in it for a Win they do not care for these kids futures.

that would be a great reply if it wasn't for your signature statement at the bottom of the page.

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

As I said in earlier post, that is the MINIMUM grade requirements of the state organization, The TSSAA.

Every school district has the option to add to that minimum. If you want to institutute a grade requirement in your district that every athlete has to have an "A" average and a 25 on the ACT to participate, go ahead. Individual schools and individual coaches can also raise the standard.

In the Memphis city schools, the grade requirement is amended. If an athlete has a grade below a "C" in any course at grading period, the school must document that the player is actively engaged in after school tutoring in that class until the grade improves to a "C" in the next grading period. (A safety net so to speak).

I believe every school and every coach has an obligation to monitor every player's academic progress and provide help in all forms to the athletes to insure they are on track to graduate, and possibly qualify for a college scholarship...but that is an ideal. Coaches have to deal with so many factors when it comes to their individual players' on and off court success.

What do you do with the special ed. student that has an IEP on file, meets those requirements and is eligible to play? What do you do with the player whose home environment is a wreck; no caring parent in the home, extreme financial difficulties, drug and alcohol abuse by parents and siblings, no transportation, no bed to sleep in, not much to eat, few clothes that they themselves have to wash and clean, and a host of other difficulties to overcome just to get to school each day?

What about Joe or Jane that makes a "D" in Ms Hardnose's chemistry class (who has a well known bias against athletes)? Do you just automatically drop them from the team and go on about your business? Or, do you have a conference with Ms Hardnose and Joe or Jane; make sure they go to tutoring with the teacher; give them a goal and a deadline; and work through the difficulty? What about a host of other factors that may come up in these young people's lives they have to deal with in private that may be affecting their performance in school.

Well enough to have some steadfast rule for the lazy, unmotivated player that needs to be punished and made to perform at a higher level. But, if we aren't in this profession to help young people overcome circumstances in their lives to go on and become productive citizens in our society, then we are in it for the wrong reasons. For many of the athletes, the "team" is a shelter from their real lives. They have an adult that cares for them and disciplines them. They have teammates with whom they form friendships. They have goals set for them and goals they set for themselves. They experience success or at least a reward for hard work. To take this network away from them would cause more harm than good.

I recognize the difference between an egotistical, lazy, self-serving "star" who thinks everything should be given to them on a silver platter, and the athletes that are struggling to overcome the aforementioned difficulties. Unfortunately, when you make a steadfast rule that all athletes have to maintain an "A or B" average to be on the team...it applies to everybody.

I don't think anyone disputes that a successful coach MUST have rules and standards, and players MUST be held responsible and accountable for their actions. Minimum standards HAVE to be maintained for the success of the player, team and program. The state sets these minimums and each school has the right to raise the standards for their athletes to whatever they choose. Do what you think is best!

As I said in earlier post, that is the MINIMUM grade requirements of the state organization, The TSSAA.

Every school district has the option to add to that minimum. If you want to institutute a grade requirement in your district that every athlete has to have an "A" average and a 25 on the ACT to participate, go ahead. Individual schools and individual coaches can also raise the standard.

In the Memphis city schools, the grade requirement is amended. If an athlete has a grade below a "C" in any course at grading period, the school must document that the player is actively engaged in after school tutoring in that class until the grade improves to a "C" in the next grading period. (A safety net so to speak).

I believe every school and every coach has an obligation to monitor every player's academic progress and provide help in all forms to the athletes to insure they are on track to graduate, and possibly qualify for a college scholarship...but that is an ideal. Coaches have to deal with so many factors when it comes to their individual players' on and off court success.

What do you do with the special ed. student that has an IEP on file, meets those requirements and is eligible to play? What do you do with the player whose home environment is a wreck; no caring parent in the home, extreme financial difficulties, drug and alcohol abuse by parents and siblings, no transportation, no bed to sleep in, not much to eat, few clothes that they themselves have to wash and clean, and a host of other difficulties to overcome just to get to school each day?

What about Joe or Jane that makes a "D" in Ms Hardnose's chemistry class (who has a well known bias against athletes)? Do you just automatically drop them from the team and go on about your business? Or, do you have a conference with Ms Hardnose and Joe or Jane; make sure they go to tutoring with the teacher; give them a goal and a deadline; and work through the difficulty? What about a host of other factors that may come up in these young people's lives they have to deal with in private that may be affecting their performance in school.

Well enough to have some steadfast rule for the lazy, unmotivated player that needs to be punished and made to perform at a higher level. But, if we aren't in this profession to help young people overcome circumstances in their lives to go on and become productive citizens in our society, then we are in it for the wrong reasons. For many of the athletes, the "team" is a shelter from their real lives. They have an adult that cares for them and disciplines them. They have teammates with whom they form friendships. They have goals set for them and goals they set for themselves. They experience success or at least a reward for hard work. To take this network away from them would cause more harm than good.

I recognize the difference between an egotistical, lazy, self-serving "star" who thinks everything should be given to them on a silver platter, and the athletes that are struggling to overcome the aforementioned difficulties. Unfortunately, when you make a steadfast rule that all athletes have to maintain an "A or B" average to be on the team...it applies to everybody.

I don't think anyone disputes that a successful coach MUST have rules and standards, and players MUST be held responsible and accountable for their actions. Minimum standards HAVE to be maintained for the success of the player, team and program. The state sets these minimums and each school has the right to raise the standards for their athletes to whatever they choose. Do what you think is best!

Excellent post Jumpshot!

Great post! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

TSSAA rule regarding grades:

If a player earns five credits at the end of a school year (summer credits included), they are eligible to play all sports the next school year. No longer do they become ineligible during the school year as they once did.

If a player does not earn five credits they are ineligible but may become eligible at mid-term if they at that time pass five subjects.

School districts and individual schools may pass stricter guidelines if they choose to, but they all have to adhere to the TSSAA minimum requirements.

If a school is on the block schedule they must earn 6 credits the previous year.