New Bradley assistant coach.

sly

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you that he was a 4X AL state champ. Was an asst. coach at Huntsville H.S. and then was a head coach at another high school in Alabama. I agree with you that Bradley can get a good assistant coach and I can tell you I think Bradley did get a good assistant coach. Anyone else who may have more info please post it for those who are interested. Thanks.

Posted by walkenvol:

What's his history? Where did he wrestle HS and college? Whith Bradley's tradition and new facility, I'm sure they were able to get a good one.

Posted by sly:

Chad Laxton from Huntsville, AL has been hired to replace Heath Eslinger as Bradley Central's new assistant coach.

Sly is right.

As posted on www.alabamawrestlng.com and www.ahsaa.com:

4x State Champions = Class 1A-4A (small schools division) - Chad Laxton, Deshler, 1991-94; 103, 119, 130, 135

This is what I know. Chad was a 4xer at Deshler High School in Tuscumbia, Alabama (NW corner of the state). His twin brother, Brad, was a 3xer. Their father, Bobby Laxton, was the Head Coach at Deshler for several years. They had a strong program in the late 70s ~ early 80s. Bobby left Deshler a few years ago for a position at (then 6A, but now 5A) Huntsville High School as an Assistant Football Coach. Chad & Brad followed and served as (voluntary?) Assistant Wrestling Coaches. Chad then took a position as Head Wrestling Coach at Buckhorn High School. Huntsville has always produced top competitors but never a team title. Buckhorn is relatively new to wrestling with a program that's only a couple of years old.

I was surprised when I heard Chad was hired at Bradley. I am, however, glad for him and wish him the best of luck!

[Edited by BamaGrappler on 9-5-02 5:02P]

Don't know that 'surprised' was a good word for me to use on a public forum. It may denote some connotation that he isn't 'deserving' of the position. So before I answer, let me emphasize --- that is not how I intended it, nor do I mean to diminish his accomplishments or alarm anyone with the comment.

I simply meant (from a personal perspective) that I am somewhat shocked for various reasons. First, I wasn't even aware that he had applied although I knew they were looking. Second, since I've been associated with wrestling here in Alabama, Bradley Central of Tennessee has been considered 'upper echelon' in my mind. They've always been pretty tough --- no worse than moderately so, even in some of their reloading years. Third, it's a shock for me to see someone from a small school in Alabama, with no college wrestling experience, gain that position. Even here, the smaller school champions aren't given much credit due to the (perceived lack of) competition versus that of the larger schools.

Don't know if this helped answer or only clouded things even more. Again, maybe I should have used another word --- but that was the first one that hit me.

I am anxious to see how things go for both Chad and the Bradley Central program. Good luck to all!