Little League Coaches

PayDirt

My two sons played this past season in a town east of Lebanon, and I will say for a fact that they will never play for that league again. Not only was it very disorganized, the coaches kids played the majority of the snaps while several other kids didn't play hardly at all. The team only had 3-4 decent players, and the rest were about the same. Some of the coaches kids and the kids of their friends didn't even make all of the practices, but come game time, they were on the field. It was very disheartening to look at 6, 7, and 8 year olds when they ask why they didn't get to play like the other kids did. One of the games, the head coach walked in with one kid, and his parent, and really built the kid up and talked about how he was going to play "a lot" snaps at QB that game. The kid was so excited, because he had been nothing but the scout team QB for practices. He played all of two snaps in the game, one being an offside by the tackle, and the other a busted play when the center snapped the ball and then didn't block anyone. Needless to say, that parent was very ticked when he had to explain to his son why the coach didn't do what he said he would.

The league had the mission that every kid would play...equal amounts, but many of the kids saw very limited time. The coaches were obviously in a win first, teach last mode, because there was very little instruction, just a lot of yelling when things didn't go right in the games, never mind the fact that they never worked on them in practice.

On top of all that, the president of the league used it as a personal fundraiser most of the year, since he was out of a job. I sometimes wonder exactly where my $100 league fee went. Probably beer and ice cream.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have coached for several years and have had to deal with parents complaining about playing time. In a perfect world everybody would get to play. In a perfect world everybody would always make it to practice with great attitudes, have great ability and give great effort. We don't live in a perfect world. Life dosen't reward not showing up or showing up lazy with a poor attitude.

As long as we keep score, coach's will try and put their team in the best position to win.