T$$AA Volleyball Officiating

Guest bigdaddy9170

Guest bigdaddy9170

I know it's late, but I wanted to get this TOPIC up so that some of you can share T$$AA Officiating BLunders that happened this past week. I saw where Page was involved in one during today.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that all line judges need to be preapproved to judge by a vision test. Not to make anyone feel bad but if your eyes need to be corrected and you can't wear contacts you would have to no longer call lines. Even rimless classes can get in the way of a call. Unfortunately all our matches had problems. One corner missed many in and out balls and never once looked at the fault line for serving- where some faults were over 5 times in a row. He was booed numerous times. He also missed easy antenna out of bounds too. No offense but his glasses were very thick and reaction time very s l o w. Does TSSAA have an age limit for refs?

There are only two reason that I have ever lost a match: poor officiating and/or the other team cheating........ /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I think that all line judges need to be preapproved to judge by a vision test. Not to make anyone feel bad but if your eyes need to be corrected and you can't wear contacts you would have to no longer call lines. Even rimless classes can get in the way of a call. Unfortunately all our matches had problems. One corner missed many in and out balls and never once looked at the fault line for serving- where some faults were over 5 times in a row. He was booed numerous times. He also missed easy antenna out of bounds too. No offense but his glasses were very thick and reaction time very s l o w. Does TSSAA have an age limit for refs?

How can another team cheat when its the officials that make the call. That is a little misleading to say that the other team cheats.

Just one example (there were an unusual number of very bad calls in this match, many subjective and not necessarily quantifiable) from the GPS/Hutchison match Thursday afternoon...I will not name teams or players as the bad calls (at times) went both ways, however those that were there will recognize this one...

-Player hits a kill to the far corner where the line judge is stationed (in correct position behind the corner lines) and the ball hits the line judge in the ankle, clearly out of bounds. After conferring with the up ref, ball is called in.

-Fans of the team the call is made against react loudly. No profanity used or personal attacks were made. Simply loud complaining about the call. Up ref requests that T$$AA official move to the stands to keep an eye on the fans and call a penalty if need be. Fans (and in many cases the coach) of the opposing team were just as loud and vocal when calls went against their team but NO action was taken by the Up ref or the T$$AA.

In general, one bad call does not change a game's outcome and this one probably would have ended the same regardless of the multiple bad calls. Bad calls by the officials are part of the game and are to be expected. However, it is a fact that the bad calls have a huge impact on momentum and the course of the game and the expectation should be that bad calls are rare and not the norm as they were in this match.

And, I'm pretty sure it is all on video if anyone from the T$$AA would like to review the assigned officials performance in this match.

It is always your perspective on a bad call. If you don't like the outcome, it is a bad call. Did the ball hit the line judge or hit the floor and then the line judge? I was sitting on the service line behind the team bench. I saw the ball hit the floor and bounce into the lj. I was supprised it was called out. I am not a GPS or Hutch fan, just happend to be watching the game for some college coach friends. Funny, everything looks different when you don't have a dog in the fight. I am sure the R1 saw different or would not have called the lj over. Sometimes it is best to just over-rule, she may have been given some instruction since she looked hesitent in her call. I did see a fan get up and look like he was going to come out of the stands, but from my perspective I dought it. This action may have alarmed "THE MAN". The Hutch fans seemed to be a great lot. Great team, great fans.

It is always your perspective on a bad call. If you don't like the outcome, it is a bad call. Did the ball hit the line judge or hit the floor and then the line judge? I was sitting on the service line behind the team bench. I saw the ball hit the floor and bounce into the lj. I was supprised it was called out. I am not a GPS or Hutch fan, just happend to be watching the game for some college coach friends. Funny, everything looks different when you don't have a dog in the fight. I am sure the R1 saw different or would not have called the lj over. Sometimes it is best to just over-rule, she may have been given some instruction since she looked hesitent in her call. I did see a fan get up and look like he was going to come out of the stands, but from my perspective I dought it. This action may have alarmed "THE MAN". The Hutch fans seemed to be a great lot. Great team, great fans.

I did not see it but two questions I might ask. Was it judgement? Was the final ruling a judgement call also. All of this reminds me of last years discussions about the officiating. From the discussions then, it coud have been much worse. BUT I think that this State Tournament was more highly contested than any played lately. Consequently what is being discussed now.

Guest bigdaddy9170

oldsetter, I was there at the match and I did not see you there. I was setting about 15ft from the Line Judge and I saw the ball hit her foot , which was out of bounds. Everytime this Line Judge made a call she had to look at the UP-REF (who should have not been able to be an up-ref to begin with) for her approval. She was absolutely horrible!!!!! This same Line Judge had another call in which the ball was hit over the net and then returned and hit the floor,well in bounds at least and I mean at least 6" if not more, that she called out but she had to once again look at the UP-REF for approval. In 15 years as a former T$$AA Basketball Official I never had to look at any of my partners (some who officiated in the SEC and OVC conferences) to get there approval of a call. Once again I will state, that the LINE JUDGE in question has no business officiating a STATE TOURNAMENT GAME whatsoever. Shame on the assigner for assigning her to the State Tournament.

Now for the UP-REF, this person too was just as bad, if not worse. You say why? I'll tell you. She made a call on our setter for being over the net and this was funny because our setter said to her, there is no way I'm 5'2" and the UP-REF look at her and said play ball. Another instance, the UP-REF called both captains over and said that both teams were celebrating to much and they need to calm down. I thought that both Teams were both within there rights to celebrate because they were celebrating a kill to there respective teammates and they were not taunting the other team. Finally, she called the DOWN REF over and said something to him and he went over to some gentlemen and said something to him. Then came over and told our AD that we needed to quit yelling at the REF's or our team would be penalized a point. I was there and there were no foul language used at any REF at anytime, I can assure you. I paid my money and if I see that she is unable to make a proper call, then I am going to yell. Another example of a BAD assignment by T$$AA and the assigner. There are alot better officials that T$$AA could have had at the State Tournament. I've seen them!! Our team was at a Tournament in Brentwood. I called T$$AA and I found the person who assigned the officials to the Brentwood Tournament and told her what GREAT REF's they had there at that Tournament.

By now, you are probably thinking, Bigdaddy is nothing but a BIG CRY BABY. I can assure you that the other team was getting as many bad calls as we were getting. I have to ask, why T$$AA does not send a list out of officials to the teams that will be partisipating in the Tournament and let them Rank them before T$$AA starts there assignments.

Now, on a postive note about the reffing at the State Tournament. We had a LINE JUDGE there working the other end of the Court that when he made a call, he did not have to look at the UP-REF for her approval. He had some close calls that could have gone either way. But, no one questioned him. Why? Because he was very confident in what he saw. Later I found out who he was. His name was JIM. JIM I want to commend you for calling a GREAT match with 2-GREAT teams. You did an AWESOME JOB!!!!

A parent called me from BLACKMAN and as I was telling him what was happening over here, The parent said we have a LINE JUDGE over here that is absolutely doing a GREAT JOB. This LINE JUDGE has had some pretty close calls and got them right. He said that they had this one LINE JUDGE during there regular season. T$$AA, this guy's name is TYLER, come to find out. Why don't you look to assigning TYLER and JIM next year to some UP-REFFING

assignments. It might make things run a little smoother.

I'm with you Big Daddy,the ref's were horrible the whole time.I was told by one that they took 2 refs from each district and some had never seen play at this fast pace.Maybe they should just let the ones from 11-AAA do the job

because their accustom to it.Many of our refs showed up to watch Brentwood and Red-Bank on Thursday night and when bad calls were made it was funny to watch the expressions on their face. As usual the T$$AA doesn't care ,they just want that cash at our teams expense. I think the Page match was the worst I've seen.The girls fight to a fifth game and have their season ended by incompetent score keepers and officials.

I'm with you Big Daddy,the ref's were horrible the whole time.I was told by one that they took 2 refs from each district and some had never seen play at this fast pace.Maybe they should just let the ones from 11-AAA do the job

because their accustom to it.Many of our refs showed up to watch Brentwood and Red-Bank on Thursday night and when bad calls were made it was funny to watch the expressions on their face. As usual the T$$AA doesn't care ,they just want that cash at our teams expense. I think the Page match was the worst I've seen.The girls fight to a fifth game and have their season ended by incompetent score keepers and officials.

I have to disagreed with you about the referees being horrible the whole time. I was there for most of the games and although there were some bad calls made and calls that were not made, I felt like the referees did a good job. I disagree with letting the official keep the book and also the scoreboard (if this was the case?). As a person who kept the book for my team, it is really difficult to keep up with the points played in the book and then trying to add points to the scoreboard. Also, as a scorekeeper, we would always confer with each other about what we had versus what the scoreboard showed. In my opinion, the score in Page/Boyd fifth game was not correct; did this cost Page the match, we will never know.

I am sure you would like to think that you have the best referees, but I wonder how many times the fans from 11-AAA complained about bad calls during your season. I can assure you that the referee from District 1-AAA is accustomed to seeing volleyball played at a fast pace. Don't you think it only fair that each district have the opportunity to have referees at the State Tournament?

Hey Big D.

I usually sit/stand alone, but would have liked to have met you (usually taking notes and such). I thought I saw the corner ball different than you, but even at my angle, was confused by 2 antenna calls - I think you had a very good angle on those. Oy vey! One point on lj's, it is requested to look at the R1 and hold your call to get conformation of acceptence. Remember, the R1 is not required to take any call. R1 can over ride any other official. Perhaps the other lj's eye contact was not as noticable as the other?

The GLJ can't be everywhere!

later.

Guest TheChosenOne

Hey Big D.

I usually sit/stand alone, but would have liked to have met you (usually taking notes and such). I thought I saw the corner ball different than you, but even at my angle, was confused by 2 antenna calls - I think you had a very good angle on those. Oy vey! One point on lj's, it is requested to look at the R1 and hold your call to get conformation of acceptence. Remember, the R1 is not required to take any call. R1 can over ride any other official. Perhaps the other lj's eye contact was not as noticable as the other?

The GLJ can't be everywhere!

later.

Video evidence supports BD!