T$$AA Volleyball Officiating

Guest bigdaddy9170

Video evidence supports BD!

Bigdaddy and The Chosen One, thanks for backing me up and confirming my post with the video evidence. As a new member and new poster, I must admit that it is intimidating to have an experienced poster like oldsetter challenge you right off the bat (even if it was from the other side of the court)...

I think CoachT is a great outlet for the fans and look forward to enjoying it for years.

Oldsetter, you obviously have a great deal of vball expertise and I hope to meet and have a conversation with you one day (hopefully as my daughter's team returns to the state tournament).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigdaddy and The Chosen One, thanks for backing me up and confirming my post with the video evidence. As a new member and new poster, I must admit that it is intimidating to have an experienced poster like oldsetter challenge you right off the bat (even if it was from the other side of the court)...

I think CoachT is a great outlet for the fans and look forward to enjoying it for years.

Oldsetter, you obviously have a great deal of vball expertise and I hope to meet and have a conversation with you one day (hopefully as my daughter's team returns to the state tournament).

Hey, that was not a challange, and I said I was on the other side of the court (behind team bench just behind service line (did I make the video? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ) so you would know where my angle was from. I think the fans in your bleacher had the best look especially if you were 5 or so feet closer to the net than the end line. As it has been said, it is all about the angles. Your judgement is always from your phisical position and what you can or can not see. I claim no expertise, just willing to share what little knowlege I have.

And as far as bad calls go, my first coach was an x-olympian. When we complained about a bad call he told us that if the officials were part of the game it was our fault - just put the ball down on the floor - not much judgement there.

I'm a 9 to 5 er so it is hard to make games. You'll probably be back to state next year, i'll try to as well. Hey, win or loose, it's where you want to end the season - just think of all the teams that would have loved the chance to be there in all its folly and glory.

Guest TheChosenOne

And as far as bad calls go, my first coach was an x-olympian. When we complained about a bad call he told us that if the officials were part of the game it was our fault - just put the ball down on the floor - not much judgement there.

Well our coach is Czech, so we dont always understand what she says when there is a bad call! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

This is an AWESOME statement and I plan to steal it the next time a car load of girls start complaining about bad calls!

Thanks!

Hey, that was not a challange, and I said I was on the other side of the court (behind team bench just behind service line (did I make the video? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ) so you would know where my angle was from. I think the fans in your bleacher had the best look especially if you were 5 or so feet closer to the net than the end line. As it has been said, it is all about the angles. Your judgement is always from your phisical position and what you can or can not see. I claim no expertise, just willing to share what little knowlege I have.

I'm a 9 to 5 er so it is hard to make games. You'll probably be back to state next year, i'll try to as well. Hey, win or loose, it's where you want to end the season - just think of all the teams that would have loved the chance to be there in all its folly and glory.

That is a great way to think about bad calls, but it sure doesn't help when the score keeper's taking points away from you and giving it to the other team. I don't there's much that will ever make anyone feel good about that one.

I made my share of loud comments in the Boro last week about calls/scores/officials and I have avoided posting anything until now because I couldn't find a way to properly share my frustration without it getting out of control.

2 Major points that I want to reiterate that others have already brought up:

1- The best officials were not properly utilized. GLJ was there to call lines, should have been an up official. He was not the only top official not engaged. Most of those officials I have never even seen before. The selection process is obviously political, as are most things where T$$AA is involved. I would propose a rating system where after each regular season match, the official asks each coach to rate the match's officiating from an Up Official perspective. The tops scores would be chosen for State. As a fan, I'm going to disagree with calls on a regular basis, but that's part of the game. If the calls are consistent and flow with the rules of volleyball, I have no problem. When GLJ makes a call, I accept it without question (most of the time and move on, simply because I know how much he loves the game, and how much respect he has for the integrity of the sport. It was clear some of these people that were officiating were in it for the paycheck only and had no business doing what they were doing.

2- Apparently, to be selected as an official for the State Tournament, one only had to score an 80% on an open book test, along with meeting the subjective (read political) criteria from the T$$AA Leaders. They claim it was based on experience, but again, I didn't recognize 70% of those officials. Neither did those around me who are close with several. Should we be surprised that these issues cropped up? It was brought up by some folks from Siegel that they wanted to hire their own score keepers, who would have been the parents doing it all year long. They know what they are doing and how to keep up. T$$AA rejected the idea and brought in their own people who, at best, did this last year at the State Tournament. The excuses made for the Page/Boyd debacle were embarrassing for T$$AA, and sad. "So and So was distracted, the scoreboard was hard to operate, et cetera" Yet they would not come forward and apologize to Page players, who were really the victims here. At one point during the Page/Boyd game, the down official had his arm up to prevent the Up Official from calling for the ball to be served, but the up official started play anyway. The down ref had to be notified by the Page coaches that play was underway and he didn't step in to stop it. Clearly the communication of these "Seasoned Veterans" and "College Officials" left a lot to be desired.

One more thing that killed me, and GLJ if you could address this I would be interested in the official rule, is the lack of calling a lift when a player would receive a serve with their hands at chest level or lower. All through the season this was called a lift, even by some of the more junior officials. At least 75% of the time it was called. At State, several teams were getting away with ball handling murder. State is supposed to be where everyone is at the top of their game and mistakes are magnified due to what's at stake. It's as if there was a mandate by T$$AA to not call the games close from a ball handling perspective. Historically, the State Tournament was called close, and I always saw that as a good thing. It doesn't do anyone justice to allow people to play through violations as it cements bad habits for the players, and in some cases could cause skill regression. Then again, if the points you already scored are going to be taken away, I guess none of it really matters...

It's just disappointing that this year's State Tournament Officiaiting was such a dramatic drop off from previous years. I don't know if it was due to the smaller venue or what, but it was clear to everyone.

I'm finished with my rant now... I hope I didn't offend anyone.