Camden vs. Fairveiw

Ctownfootball

Formerlionsdad here, having trouble with my account, Lioness graciously allowed me to post on hers. Now to sportscrazy,ARE YOU CRAZY? Don't you remember what it was like before Ward & Blow. 2 things happened last friday nite, 1 we had an off game and 2 we got beat by a better team, GET OVER IT, no excuses, we lost. These young men still made history for Camden football by three-peating as region champs, they didn't get there by themselves, it took one of the best coaching staffs in the state, we have to realize something we are a rural school and that means we don't have the talent pool that a lot of scools are blessed with, so its up to coaches like, Ward Blow, McDowell, the Sturdivant boys and all the rest to bring out the best in these young men. I can't say I agree with everything they do, but I'm not the coach, and they've pretty darn good to this point. I think I'll trust them to keep it going. My son played for these people for 4 years and thtough thier hard work and dedication my son is in college as we speak. If this is the result of thier work, I think I can live with a loss once in awhile. Good JOB to all concerne. We just have to go get that GOLD BALL NEXT YEAR.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Post there Mom.

I have read some of what you are talking about......in any lost there or those that do the "should of , could of" bit. They forget that every friday nite...there are 50% of the teams that are going to lose. So .......that means 50% of the (in this case) Saturday morning Quarterbacks. I have followed Camden for about 5 years...and can appreciate the level they have come. It takes time to build tradition, which the Coaches are!

It seems from an outsider that Camden is headed in the right direction, and that the lost to Fairview is nothing to be ashamed of, they were improving the whole year.

Good luck in the future Camden (and all the moms)

I want to say that this team played their hearts out and they all should be very proud of themselves. We didn't get outplayed during this game we were clearly out coached. That's great that the coaches are nice and good teachers but if they can't break "tradition" and try running a different offense at some point in time, we will never get past the first or second game in the play-offs. The offensive coordinator should be fired. If he can't look at game film and see his mistakes on the last two games then Camden doesn't need him anymore. Everyone in the stands could clearly see the running game wasn't going anywhere and it seems like we have plenty of competent receivers so PASS THE BALL! The few times we did pass it we scored. But not Camden, keep pounding it up the middle with guys that are 5'7" and 150lbs. At some point the coaching staff needs to see the light or the program will stall out lilke it has started to do towards the end of our season. This same thing happened in Henry Co. a few years ago and then they got a new coach and look at them now. Everyone makes mistakes including coaches, but lets learn from them and then do something about it.

I'm sorry but you are a complete idiot. You obviously don't know anything about coaching football. You want Camden to air it out huh? Well if they would have done that, they would have been beaten by three scores by Fairview. It isn't their game, it isn't what they do. I have been around West TN football for a long time. The problem with Camden was always that they didn't have any identity offensively. At least with Coach Blow's system, there is an identity. RUN THE FOOTBALL!!! That is the identity of the Camden Lions. Run the ball, and play great defense. They did both to the tune of a 9-1 record and a third straight region championship.

Another thing Camden football used to lack was toughness, this staff has brought a toughness never seen before. These last few teams have been nasty on the field (between the whistles) and classy off of it. Camden football was nothing before Ward and his great staff got there, and when he leaves - it will be nothing again IMO.

The bottom line is, and some Camden fans will hate me for saying it, but Camden was overblown all year. I saw them play in several games - I just didn't think they were as good as advertised. They had some issues, IMO, at some key positions that make it tough for you to win. What is good about the whole situation is that Camden fans are starting to expect more - that is always the price to pay for success. However, you must be understanding that you live in a rural community and get to pick from whatever grows up in your neighborhoods and city limits. You are not Goodpasture, CPA, etc. where you can hand pick your players. You are not Alcoa - with open zoning so kids can come to your school from wherever. You are Camden, you have to make do with what you have year in and year out and 9-1 is a great season, maybe short of some fans expectations. But go ask Coach Ward if he thought he was getting to Murfreesboro this year, I bet his answer would be no.

Sportzcrazy you are rediculous.....I played camden football 94 and 95......we were everyone's homecoming.....we played our hearts out and had good coachs but we lacked something......what ever that was coach ward has brought back to camden.........I have never met the man but I do know coach McDowell and he is one of the most educated and talented people I know.....I had a blast playing for him.....matter of fact I think 94 was his first year.....and believe me that was a tough one for all at camden......If it han not of been for him and Coach Nunamaker I would have never played the game again.....but they talked me into it and showed me a new love and respect for the game.....I did not go on to college nore did I play that well in high school but I did take the lessons they taught me and play in the United States Marine Corps and I played well enough to make the All-Marine Team......Point is that though you may not agree with what was done as far as coaching you have to respect them for the pride and emotion that they have brought back to the Camden Football team.....

Congrats to all of the seniors....take these lessons you learned here and use them later in life and you will be successful in everythign you do.

I want to say that this team played their hearts out and they all should be very proud of themselves. We didn't get outplayed during this game we were clearly out coached. That's great that the coaches are nice and good teachers but if they can't break "tradition" and try running a different offense at some point in time, we will never get past the first or second game in the play-offs. The offensive coordinator should be fired. If he can't look at game film and see his mistakes on the last two games then Camden doesn't need him anymore. Everyone in the stands could clearly see the running game wasn't going anywhere and it seems like we have plenty of competent receivers so PASS THE BALL! The few times we did pass it we scored. But not Camden, keep pounding it up the middle with guys that are 5'7" and 150lbs. At some point the coaching staff needs to see the light or the program will stall out lilke it has started to do towards the end of our season. This same thing happened in Henry Co. a few years ago and then they got a new coach and look at them now. Everyone makes mistakes including coaches, but lets learn from them and then do something about it.

There's more to coaching than just making the right calls on gameday. Maybe the scheme wasn't the best but one thing coaches do, especially successful ones, is play to the talent of their team. Last time I checked, we don't have a lot of outstanding receivers at Camden. Gaskin is a good QB, but he's not a pocket passer. You have to put your players in a position to be successful. Throwing a bit more all year would be nice, sure, but throwing also nets 0 yards on incompletions. Why would you come out in the first round and forget about what got you there?

I also think it is ludicrous and tasteless to get on a message board and call for firing of coaches. I'm sure most Camden fans can remember what Ward and his staff brought to the table only 6 years ago. I'm sure most people understand that it also takes time to build a program and to evolve offensive and defensive philosophies.

Maybe we should think back to the days of the coach that was before Ward and staff, and remember going 0-20. Maybe remember when we only had like 25 kids on the team.

Fairview wins because of their x-factor--------Coach Butler...... period end of discussion

Hey Fairview can KEEP THEIR X-FACTOR, I WANT COACH WARD & CO. I think Coach Ward as a Head Coach is one of the best in the STATE, and I also beleive that Coach Ward and his coaching staff IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE STATE at any level 1a, 2a, etc. etc. Ward played for one of the most PROLIFIC coches in the state, and definately the most prolific coach in West TN history in the form of Coach John Tucker, and I think we all know what kind of program he ran. So go ahead Keep your Butler, cause We Got The Warden.

It's very impressive to see the Lion fans rally behind their great coaching staff. From the outside looking in I can assure you that you have one of the best in Coach Ward. Not only is he one of the best in AA, but in the entire state.The fact is right now he is the face of Camden football.