Hancock needs games!

swish1

I actually saw this guy with one of our players parents who no longer plays for us. Why this guy got involved is anyone's guess, but it had nothing to do with affection for the Hancock County basketball program. Sometimes when someone tries to force the issue they may recieve the cold shoulder. This guy was given the royal treatment. Coach Seal showed him around the campus and he met with the principal. Sounds like an interview to me. I saw this with my own two eyes. We have an adequate amount of people qualified to handle coaching hear. I have heard we have a middle school job opening for both boys and girls that is volunteer and pays nothing. Maybe this guy would want to interview for this one. The head coach makes in the $1500 range. Pay is not sufficient to retain a coach from outside the area. Tony Seal is a native Hancock Countian who never played high school, college, nor played for Meyer or lived in the city. Tony also turned out to be one of the finest high school coaches ever in East Tennessee. Charles Johnson is a fine man who deserved a shot at this job. I don't think a guy who has the credentials this young man has will lose sleep over this one. He saw a team with a great deal of talent. If we had not been in the state tourney a year ago he never would have applied. He was also convinced by a former parent it was a stepping stone to bigger things after a year. NO, I did not ask him, nor did he tell me. I did ask coach Johnson and he said he intentions were to be here as long as he was wanted. Coach Johnson had more experience and a better track record. Being a college player or playing for a great coach in no way translates into success. The politics is not only in Hancock County. I think this guy got more consideration than was known. They waited until up in June to name the coach. The team and the community wanted a coach in place before summer camp. If the budget situation had of been different he might have been hired. We had given all non-tenured teachers layoff slips. How could we hire a non-tenured teacher when we had layed off all our non-tenured teachers. This guy was told that when he was here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Campbelle2:

I actually saw this guy with one of our players parents who no longer plays for us. Why this guy got involved is anyone's guess, but it had nothing to do with affection for the Hancock County basketball program. Sometimes when someone tries to force the issue they may recieve the cold shoulder. This guy was given the royal treatment. Coach Seal showed him around the campus and he met with the principal. Sounds like an interview to me. I saw this with my own two eyes. We have an adequate amount of people qualified to handle coaching hear. I have heard we have a middle school job opening for both boys and girls that is volunteer and pays nothing. Maybe this guy would want to interview for this one. The head coach makes in the $1500 range. Pay is not sufficient to retain a coach from outside the area. Tony Seal is a native Hancock Countian who never played high school, college, nor played for Meyer or lived in the city. Tony also turned out to be one of the finest high school coaches ever in East Tennessee. Charles Johnson is a fine man who deserved a shot at this job. I don't think a guy who has the credentials this young man has will lose sleep over this one. He saw a team with a great deal of talent. If we had not been in the state tourney a year ago he never would have applied. He was also convinced by a former parent it was a stepping stone to bigger things after a year. NO, I did not ask him, nor did he tell me. I did ask coach Johnson and he said he intentions were to be here as long as he was wanted. Coach Johnson had more experience and a better track record. Being a college player or playing for a great coach in no way translates into success. The politics is not only in Hancock County. I think this guy got more consideration than was known. They waited until up in June to name the coach. The team and the community wanted a coach in place before summer camp. If the budget situation had of been different he might have been hired. We had given all non-tenured teachers layoff slips. How could we hire a non-tenured teacher when we had layed off all our non-tenured teachers. This guy was told that when he was here.

Just because to people meet (principle) doesnt mean its an interview. I know the whole process that went down. Coach seal was really great to this coach but the community leader, was not man enough to speak to him . They had an interview and he bailed. Ask coach Seal he took him there. Coach Seal said he was very emberassed. The point im trying to make is he was just treated wrong. Not because he didnt get the job but how the community leaders treated him. He was asked to come interview and then didnt get one. The principal didnt have anything to do with the process. Yea they talked but he doesnt do the hiring there. I heard he was only at the school because there wasnt anyone else to bring in. As for the middle school job Im sure you will find a nice local to accomidate you. Since having experience is not needed. Coach Seal did a tremendous job for your program Im sorry he left. As for the young coach he did get a better job. Lets just say Hancock wasnt in Gods plan the this young man.

The young man was told of the budget crisis before he made the trip. He was also told there would not be any additions to our staff. He got bad info from a former parent who thought we were not capable of handling our own program. You seem to know only one side of the story. Why interview someone when the job is not available. Coach Seal is one of the good ole boys and he did a tremendous job thank you. Where did this young man end up and what was his name? I bet they handled that situation the city slicker way. They tell everyone the job is open when its not and hire the connected. Its the same process everywhere. Thank you for your kind consideration and your application to the good ole boys society. Your application has been rejected. He was told WE ARE NOT HIRING. He can blame this one on his communication source. He was listening to the wrong person. I bet money I don't have to mention names. By the way who wants to play us this year??? Call with open dates.

Posted by Campbelle2:

The young man was told of the budget crisis before he made the trip. He was also told there would not be any additions to our staff. He got bad info from a former parent who thought we were not capable of handling our own program. You seem to know only one side of the story. Why interview someone when the job is not available. Coach Seal is one of the good ole boys and he did a tremendous job thank you. Where did this young man end up and what was his name? I bet they handled that situation the city slicker way. They tell everyone the job is open when its not and hire the connected. Its the same process everywhere. Thank you for your kind consideration and your application to the good ole boys society. Your application has been rejected. He was told WE ARE NOT HIRING. He can blame this one on his communication source. He was listening to the wrong person. I bet money I don't have to mention names. By the way who wants to play us this year??? Call with open dates.

He wasnt told there wouldnt be any additions to the staff. You are wrong about that!! However he did know about the budget crisis. You got to be kidding my application rejected, I would have no part of your program or community. Besides I didnt offer. You dont seem to want to talk about how he got screwed over by the town leaders and the bogus principal doing there dirty work. Get real, I do understand the money, and possible miss informing, but he was still screwed.

He must have not been a good ole boy, because you can depend on good ole boys. This guy wanted to stir up some trouble on his departure. He also wanted to take a cheap shot at one of the applicants on his departure. People here can't help if players don't work to reach their full potential. Think about it.

Posted by Campbelle2:

He must have not been a good ole boy, because you can depend on good ole boys. This guy wanted to stir up some trouble on his departure. He also wanted to take a cheap shot at one of the applicants on his departure. People here can't help if players don't work to reach their full potential. Think about it.

Its pretty sad when you talk bad about someone whos child ment so much to the program. Sure Seal did good before M.M. got there but without him it would have been a different story. Much, much tougher. And his father, like him, or not was a great coach as well. So when he had something to say, maybe it would have been good to listen. Besides the applicant and he are friends he surely wouldnt do anything at his expense.

How are you assocciated with H.C. ?

We have had three of the best players in the state period the last three years. One was a great athlete with at best a questionable work ethic. The other two were not great athletes, but worked their butts off. One of these was the hardest worker I have seen in my 15 years of coaching high school, middle school, and various ages of AAU. I will update you with my college experience after this year. It has never come out of my mouth that the player in question was not a good player. The question is how good could he have been if he had come up as a hard worker? He and the father in question refused to sacrifice for this team. They had their own agenda and the team came last. Our younger kids started to look to a role model and guess which one they chose. You can bet it was not the blood and guts sacrifice for the team effort, but lets all be athletic and get by. These kids forgot to look at themselves and see they are not great athletes. I had a kid tell me he don't work why are you asking me to? This just showed me that kids like most people want the easy way out. It will take time for us to get back on the right track.. By the way these are good people as far as I know, but we have a different attitude toward work ethic. I could give you many examples, but I won't on here. I am not bashing anything except work ethic and the departure. He made statments about applicants and he knew nothing about their ability. (Jr.pro Coach) We had two quality applicants for this job regardless of what you have been told and one of them was Charles Johnson. This young man (Donelson Christian Assistant) may be a great coach one day, but he is yet to prove it. We did him a favor by sending him on his way. I guess everyone wants to be part of the "Good ole Boys". Four in a row to the BIG SHOW.

Guest bigsports
Posted by Campbelle2:

We have had three of the best players in the state period the last three years. One was a great athlete with at best a questionable work ethic. The other two were not great athletes, but worked their butts off. One of these was the hardest worker I have seen in my 15 years of coaching high school, middle school, and various ages of AAU. I will update you with my college experience after this year. It has never come out of my mouth that the player in question was not a good player. The question is how good could he have been if he had come up as a hard worker? He and the father in question refused to sacrifice for this team. They had their own agenda and the team came last. Our younger kids started to look to a role model and guess which one they chose. You can bet it was not the blood and guts sacrifice for the team effort, but lets all be athletic and get by. These kids forgot to look at themselves and see they are not great athletes. I had a kid tell me he don't work why are you asking me to? This just showed me that kids like most people want the easy way out. It will take time for us to get back on the right track.. By the way these are good people as far as I know, but we have a different attitude toward work ethic. I could give you many examples, but I won't on here. I am not bashing anything except work ethic and the departure. He made statments about applicants and he knew nothing about their ability. (Jr.pro Coach) We had two quality applicants for this job regardless of what you have been told and one of them was Charles Johnson. This young man (Donelson Christian Assistant) may be a great coach one day, but he is yet to prove it. We did him a favor by sending him on his way. I guess everyone wants to be part of the "Good ole Boys". Four in a row to the BIG SHOW.

Yes 4 in a row is really good even out of your talented region. Its also been 1 and done. Am I talking to Coach Seal??? Yes you are right you did do him a favor by sending him on his way. How did Coach Seal feel about the whole thing??

Guest bigsports
Posted by Campbelle2:

Yes 4 in a row is really good even out of your talented region. Its also been 1 and done. Am I talking to Coach Seal??? Yes you are right you did do him a favor by sending him on his way. How did Coach Seal feel about the whole thing??

This is not coach Seal. We went to the state tourney 3 times b-4 the transfer arrived. He was not a contributor to last season's state tourney run. That was not his fault, because he was injured. We still made the state tourney when he was not effective because of injury. We made the state two in a row before he arrived. The team actually played better before his late season return. Would we have been better if he had been healthy all season?(YES) Did his laid back approach to the game hurt what we try to instill in our players? (YES). DO I wish him the best of luck at UTC? (YES) I only wish they had chose not to attack the applicants before they left. Then, bring in a hired gun to the rescue. Like, we don't know how to handle a program which was in great shape before they arrived. I worked hard in the middle school to make believers that hard work and preparation and conditioning wins ballgames. My tenure as middle school coach and Tony at the high school level coinsides. I also put together the first AAU program for the Lakway Area. I have put alot of time and effort into a great group of young men. We have good people here. (Players and coaches) Ultimately, we as coaches are no better than our players and we have had hard working players who made us look like we knew what we were doing in most of the state. Players and parents who transfer in sometimes tend to ignore that. Maybe a year in the college ranks will mellow me out some, but I doubt it.