Who will be the new volunteers head coach?

boneman2108

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the Hook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coaching Candidate Blog

Based off sources close to Tennessee's hiring process and my own input, here are some of the candidates to replace Phillip Fulmer being considered by administrators -- as well as some that have no chance of becoming a reality.

Keep In Mind - These are the top five realistic candidates (not just names on message boards) listed in order of probability:

1.Butch Davis, North Carolina - Davis is far and away Tennessee's best choice.

Davis is one of the best recruiters in the nation and a solid defensive coach. He has recruiting ties to Florida, the Carolinas and Georgia - all areas the Vols have leaned on in the past.

Davis has said publicly that he has no intentions of leaving UNC, that he loves Chapel Hill and wants to build a program. If that's all true and Davis declines the Vols' advances, then UT will take a step down and have to gamble on a less proven coach.

However, many believe Davis is just posturing for more money.

2. Brian Kelly, Cincinnati - Kelly has turned around every program he has headed up. He's even been called the candidate most like UT basketball coach Bruce Pearl. That's a pretty strong endorsement.

Still, winning in the SEC is a far different challenge than Kelly has faced to this point.

3. Tim Brewster, Minnesota - Brewster has received plenty of acclaim for his time in the NFL, although he's considered more a college coach. Brewster also has ties to UT's athletic department.

Brewster is a solid coach but, again, this would be a gamble.

4. Mike Leach, Texas Tech - As one person close to the decision making process told me, Leach would be "like a fish in the desert" at UT. Nevertheless, Leach's offense and recent professional growth (paying more attention to his defense) makes him a viable candidate in my mind.

Leach may also be the people's choice. I continually hear from UT fans that are rooting for him to be the next coach of the Vols.

Leach is also motivated to find a better job while he's such a hot commodity. This season will probably be the best Texas Tech can muster so he'd love a shot at Tennessee.

5. Will Muschamp, Texas defensive coordinator - I continually hear how great of a coach Muschamp will one day be and I tend to agree with such sentiment.

However, athletic director Mike Hamilton can't replace a UT legend in Fulmer with an assistant coach.

Keep It Real - These are some of those message board names that are not being considered:

1. Lane Kiffin, former Oakland Raiders coach - Only if a half dozen candidates tell UT no would Kiffin be considered. Kiffin will be great in an interview, better in a press conference, then could kill UT's program. There's just not a long enough track record there.

2. Jon Gruden, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Worth a phone call, but never more than a long, long shot.

3. Bill Cowher, television analyst - Please.

Off the Hook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coaching Candidate Blog

Based off sources close to Tennessee's hiring process and my own input, here are some of the candidates to replace Phillip Fulmer being considered by administrators -- as well as some that have no chance of becoming a reality.

Keep In Mind - These are the top five realistic candidates (not just names on message boards) listed in order of probability:

1.Butch Davis, North Carolina - Davis is far and away Tennessee's best choice.

Davis is one of the best recruiters in the nation and a solid defensive coach. He has recruiting ties to Florida, the Carolinas and Georgia - all areas the Vols have leaned on in the past.

Davis has said publicly that he has no intentions of leaving UNC, that he loves Chapel Hill and wants to build a program. If that's all true and Davis declines the Vols' advances, then UT will take a step down and have to gamble on a less proven coach.

However, many believe Davis is just posturing for more money.

2. Brian Kelly, Cincinnati - Kelly has turned around every program he has headed up. He's even been called the candidate most like UT basketball coach Bruce Pearl. That's a pretty strong endorsement.

Still, winning in the SEC is a far different challenge than Kelly has faced to this point.

3. Tim Brewster, Minnesota - Brewster has received plenty of acclaim for his time in the NFL, although he's considered more a college coach. Brewster also has ties to UT's athletic department.

Brewster is a solid coach but, again, this would be a gamble.

4. Mike Leach, Texas Tech - As one person close to the decision making process told me, Leach would be "like a fish in the desert" at UT. Nevertheless, Leach's offense and recent professional growth (paying more attention to his defense) makes him a viable candidate in my mind.

Leach may also be the people's choice. I continually hear from UT fans that are rooting for him to be the next coach of the Vols.

Leach is also motivated to find a better job while he's such a hot commodity. This season will probably be the best Texas Tech can muster so he'd love a shot at Tennessee.

5. Will Muschamp, Texas defensive coordinator - I continually hear how great of a coach Muschamp will one day be and I tend to agree with such sentiment.

However, athletic director Mike Hamilton can't replace a UT legend in Fulmer with an assistant coach.

Keep It Real - These are some of those message board names that are not being considered:

1. Lane Kiffin, former Oakland Raiders coach - Only if a half dozen candidates tell UT no would Kiffin be considered. Kiffin will be great in an interview, better in a press conference, then could kill UT's program. There's just not a long enough track record there.

2. Jon Gruden, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Worth a phone call, but never more than a long, long shot.

3. Bill Cowher, television analyst - Please.

We don't want Brian Kelly...I know I don't want him...I live up here in Cincinnati now and it's a different world between the Big Least and the SEC...if the wolves think it's bad now give BK a few years to REALLY mess things up.

We don't want Brian Kelly...I know I don't want him...I live up here in Cincinnati now and it's a different world between the Big Least and the SEC...if the wolves think it's bad now give BK a few years to REALLY mess things up.

I am not in favor of hiring Brian Kelly necessarily but WOW, I must say, I am somewhat puzzeled to hear you say that. I mean I understand that the Big East isn't the SEC, but he is a proven winner everywhere he has been. Whose to say he couldn't do it in the SEC.

Grand Valley State - 13 Years

Record: 120-35-2

6 Conference Titles

2 National Championships

Central Michigan - 3 Years

Record: 53-11 (2004 = 4-7, 2005 = 6-5, 2006 = 9-4)

1 Conference Title

Cincinatti - 2nd Year

Record: 19-5

Won 2 Bowl Games (coached the bowl game in 2006)

And looks to win the conference title this year

That's pretty good stats. I don't care who you are.

Coaching Record: 158-56-2 (.738 Winning Percentage)

CALHOUN'S COACHING LEDGER

2006: Offensive Coordinator/ Quarterbacks, Houston Texans

2005: Assistant to Head Coach, Denver Broncos

2004: Offensive Assistant/ Special Teams, Denver Broncos

2003: Defensive Assistant, Denver Broncos

2001-02: Offensive Coordinator/ Quarterbacks, Wake Forest

1997-2000: Offensive Coordinator/ Quarterbacks, Ohio University

1995-96: Quarterbacks, Ohio University

1993-94: Recruiting Coordinator/ JV Offensive Coordinator, Air Force

1989-90: Graduate Assistant, Air Force

Here's another named mentioned. He is the Air Force head coach. A quick turnaround guy.

CALHOUN'S COACHING LEDGER

2006: Offensive Coordinator/ Quarterbacks, Houston Texans

2005: Assistant to Head Coach, Denver Broncos

2004: Offensive Assistant/ Special Teams, Denver Broncos

2003: Defensive Assistant, Denver Broncos

2001-02: Offensive Coordinator/ Quarterbacks, Wake Forest

1997-2000: Offensive Coordinator/ Quarterbacks, Ohio University

1995-96: Quarterbacks, Ohio University

1993-94: Recruiting Coordinator/ JV Offensive Coordinator, Air Force

1989-90: Graduate Assistant, Air Force

Here's another named mentioned. He is the Air Force head coach. A quick turnaround guy.

Well traveled,never heard of him.

I haven't heard of him either. Someone said he was the leader now according to CSS. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

Brent Hubbs reported he was a candidate earlier this week. I know who he is but I did not know he was under consideration.

KevB -

Why so anti-Kelly? You are the first person I have heard talk about him in a negative light.

Muschamp was announced tonight as the "coach in waiting" for when/if Mack Brown steps down some day.

Up the ante, paying him double his salary.

Seriously, the FIRST criteria for a new coach at the Hill would be can he recruit his brains out?

Unfortunately, everyone now will be measured against Saban first, then Meyer.

Even Richt will start feeling the heat.

The Vols need to offer Rodney Garner whatever he wants as a starting point to be on the staff. Then add Trooper Taylor. Keep the RB coach, and from that point on just someone who can put together a staff that can teach HS kids how to be better football players than when they came in. That, IMO, is what ultimately doomed Phil.

Muschamp was announced tonight as the "coach in waiting" for when/if Mack Brown steps down some day.

Up the ante, paying him double his salary.

Seriously, the FIRST criteria for a new coach at the Hill would be can he recruit his brains out?

Unfortunately, everyone now will be measured against Saban first, then Meyer.

Even Richt will start feeling the heat.

The Vols need to offer Rodney Garner whatever he wants as a starting point to be on the staff. Then add Trooper Taylor. Keep the RB coach, and from that point on just someone who can put together a staff that can teach HS kids how to be better football players than when they came in. That, IMO, is what ultimately doomed Phil.

I agree about Rodney Garner. In '98 when Cuttcliffe and Garner left is when the decline started. It took a few years to see the effects of losing our best recruiter and we immediately felt the effects of Cutt's departure. A good recruiter and a good offensive coach is critical for a quick turnaround.