Best Freshman in 2008-2009

wbballer22

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime the term "Best Freshmen" is used these two have to be listed.

Bashara Graves (Clarksville area) being recruited by the likes of U of Tenn. and others.

Danielle Ballard (Memphis Central) being recruited by the likes of Maryland, UCLA, Louisville, Texas and others. She didn't play in the Shelbyville Playday.

Both ladies will make a major impact on the High School scene.

There are others from East Tenn, Clarksville and Memphis areas, but I'm unsure of names.

But these two are considered the best of the group.

pantherfan1,

yes, I know they did play for the lady trotters.. But anyone who made that team has to be really good.. Would you not agree. And yes I watched the North and WB game last year. Tyler Powers is also a good ball player. But I know Tatum and Sarah have worked hard and they continue to get better. As for Becca Singleton, she is contributing big to Maryville. Not starting over some Juniors and Senior guards, but she is a "sixth-man" as you might say. I think she will be a good player over her high school career.

There is my opinion for you.. Take it or leave it.. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

lets watch some basketball! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I like being able to identify these girls by where we have seen them play for the past few springs. No doubt that Graves with the Lady Shox 14's of Clarksville is one of the top in the class. Most have never realized that she was playing up since a 10 year old. Danielle Ballard is the same with the Memphis Elite 14's, Eric and his assistants have done a good job preparing her. There is a Daniel's girl from that bunch that can play well too. Another tough player is Marjorie Butler that has played with the Tennesse Flight Freshmen from Shelbyville that finished 5th at Nationals the past two years. Look for her at Webb in Knoxville to add to that program. The LadyTrotter fan listed only Blount County but they also had Christina Slay who was slotted for Seymour last spring (sister to Tennessee standout Ron Slay) and Allison Jones at Morristown West. I will have to go with my unknown friend MOWEST21 and say watch Graves and Ballard, but would add Butler to that list.

Slay, with Seymour, will make as big an impact as anyone, IMO. For 2 reasons: she's an excellent player with a lot of energy and Seymour has no other true post players. She will probably log as many minutes as she can stand. If she doesn't make a big splash then it could be a long year for Seymour.

Another freshmen to watch is Hayley Roberson from Midway. She's a 13u that played up on the Knoxville Lady Panthers 14u team this year that finished 9th at D1 Nationals.

We have a nice freshman class at Clarkrange. They are led by Suzanna Cooper, a fast and tall point guard who really sees the floor well. Leah Norris provides size inside and is very agressive. Lacye Lowe (sister of Tori) and Gybrielle Young are going to be great outside shooters. They are both very smart with the ball. And one of my personal favorites, Savannah Smith is a great ball handler and can eat up a press. They are all great players with very bright futures.

York Institute bost two of the best freshman in our area, Chelsea Cook, a sharp shooter, and Carly Dickens, an outstanding scorer and defender on the low post. Both will contribute this year at York. York boast a large freshman class with 8 players. Give them a couple of years and they will be a very tough group.