Heather Parman (GPS), Christina Teter (Red Bank) Sign Volleyball Schol

volleylady1975

Parman, Teter Sign Volleyball Scholarships With UTC

Seniors Had Outstanding Seasons For GPS, Red Bank

posted November 13, 2008

Heather Parman and Christina Teter have been competitors on the volleyball court for several years.

The seniors from GPS and Red Bank will be teammates for the next four years after both signed scholarship papers to continue their careers with the UTC Lady Mocs.

GPS won its second straight D-II state title and compiled a 52-8 record for the season.

Red Bank advanced to the AAA state final four before losing to eventual champion Independence.

The Lady Lions set a school record with a 47-10 worksheet, marking the first time a Red Bank team has won more than 40 matches in a single season.

Parman and Teter were both instrumental in the success of their teams. Both are outstanding players and both are looking to contribute at UTC right away.

???UTC has been my top choice since last summer,??? said Parman, the daughter of Judy and Eddie Parman while celebrating her signing Thursday with friends, family members, teammates and GPS coaches and administrators.

???I??™m really excited about the opportunity. I play volleyball year-round and feel like I can contribute at UTC next year,??? she added.

???Heather is a head-strong brute with her volleyball,??? praised GPS coach Paul Brock.

???She??™s driven to be the best and she??™s harder on herself than any coach I??™ve ever seen. She??™s always challenging her teammates.

"She played in the state championship game when she was a freshman, so she knows what it??™s like to be in big games.

???It will be a good fit for her at UTC. She will be an asset to their program and I feel like she??™ll have much success in the Southern Conference,??? Brock added.

Parman was one of five seniors on this year??™s state championship team. She??™s an outside hitter and also a valuable utility player.

In addition to volleyball, she??™s also a member of the GPS track team where she is a two-time defending discus champion with a best toss of 107 feet, 10 inches.

Her season stats indicate her value in more than area of the game. Parman finished with 721 kills, 501 digs, 166 aces, 95 blocks and 685 assists.

The attractive 5-11 blonde plans to major in Sports Management or Exercise Science at UTC.

Teter is a three-year letterman in volleyball while being a four-year letterman in basketball and track.

The 17-year-old daughter of Eric and Melanie Teter is also an outstanding student where she currently ranks fifth in her senior class.

She??™s secretary of the National Honor Society at Red Bank and intends to become a veterinarian after finishing her undergraduate requirements.

???Christina has worked extremely hard in the past few years developing her skills as a volleyball player. She??™s not real loud and vocal, but she??™s one who leads by example,??? said Red Bank coach Christel Helton Thursday afternoon.

???Christina was extremely dominating at the net for us this year. We knew the ball needed to go to her when we needed a kill.

"She??™s also an effective blocker. She was in the right place at the right time. When a game was on the line, she went into a different mode.

???She was our most dominating hitter and blocker,??? Helton praised her 6-2 senior.

???I??™m real excited about going to UTC,??? Teter said while taking a quick break from class.

???They have an outstanding biology program and that??™s what I plan to major in. I??™m happy to be able to move on to the next level,??? she added in a quiet tone.

Teter finished the season with 474 kills, 155 blocks and 68 aces.

Teter and Parman are also planning to be roommates at UTC.