All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

Someone please respond to this. I can only name a couple myself and one wasn't even a state champion. I'm sure some of you could come up with some interesting lists and I'm real curious to see which teams get listed. Feel free to list 10 if you can. Brentwood Academy (1996) and Clarksville Northeast(1996) would definately be in my list as #1 and #2. I played against those two so at least I can sort of back it up. Brentwood Academy was state champs that year in 5A even though their enrollment was only 309 students and that number included females!!! They cracked the USA Today Top 25 and finished 15-0. You might be wondering why I picked Clarksville Northeast. Well they didn't win state nor even make it to the finals that year but they finished 12-1 and lost to Brentwood Academy in the quarter finals(at Brentwood Academy's field)and were the ONLY team besides MBA to even put up a fight against them that year and Northeast played their worst game of the year that night. They fumbled the ball like 6 times inside or near the red zone but played their usual amamzing defense holding BA to one TD. Anyone that followed Tennessee High School football that year closely considered that the state title game. BA went on to cream Riverdale in the final that year. Several coaches and reporters in the media that had been around high school games for years say Northeast was the fastest team top to bottom the state has ever had. Travis Stevens(you might remember his performance for the Vols against the Gators) was a junior at Northeast that year and rushed for over 2500 yards and two other backs had 1000 yard seasons. Northeast only passed the ball about 7 times for the whole season!! BA was just an all around cluster of tallent. Everyone feel free to state their opinion on those two teams or just list your own all time best teams of Tennessee.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caligula

I would put the '98 Maryville team in. This team went 15-0, outscoring oppenents by almost 400 pts. And had 2 players go to the ACC, one to Annapolis, 1 transfer to UT where he is #2 at Center, and a couple others go to Tech and CN. This teams defense was unreal, in one game they sent 8 people to the hospital.

You are all wrong. NE beat MBA by two points in '96 with MBA's best player not even playing in the game. That year MBA lost to BA in the quarters in 3 OT's. BA didn't play NE in 1996. They played in 1995 and BA beat NE in the quarters. BA then beat MBA in the semis in 1995 with MBA being up 10-7 going into the 4th quarter. Gets your facts straight.

"You are all wrong. NE beat MBA by two points in '96 with MBA's best player not even playing in the game. That year MBA lost to BA in the quarters in 3 OT's. BA didn't play NE in 1996. They played in 1995 and BA beat NE in the quarters. BA then beat MBA in the semis in 1995 with MBA being up 10-7 going into the 4th quarter. Gets your facts straight."

Alrighty then. It was 95 and NOT 96. Jesus i'm sorry your world almost came to an end because I said te wrong year. heck it was the same school year anyway. The "Facts" are that tose two teams were clearly two of the best teams this state has seen. Maryville 98 was a good pick. Anyone else have any?

Posted by jmjm:

MBA 1999...the best in TN history. 15 players playing in college. They killed everyone and finished in the USA today top 10

I don't know about the best in TN history. Tennessee High was named the national champion (twice) in the 60's and Oak Ridge won a national title as well.

Shelbyville's football team had 52 consecutive shutouts from 1942-1949. Not one single point scored on them for 7 years. They hold a national record for consecutive shutouts according to USA Today.

The '99 MBA team would be in the top five, though...

[Edited by sportsfan0603 on 8-20-02 1:56P]

Posted by rhinob59:

15 players playing in college? I can come up with three.. Ingle Martin, Dominique Morris, and Moses Osemweigie. Can somebody tell me the 12 others?

I count ten. The three you mentioned plus Sean Holland (GA Southern), Tate Rich (Yale), Jonas Rodriguez (Yale), Barton Simmons (Yale), Matt Neal (Sewanee), James Pittman (Rice), and Hulsey Smith (SMU). If anyone off of the 2001 team is playing football this year, that would add to the count - I don't know of any, however. jmjm could be a little more diplomatic in his posts, regardless of what the actual number is. Also, MBA's final ranking in USA Today that year was #16 - they were not in the Top 10. The USA Today website confirms this, jmjm.

That 1999 team was awesome. The best ever in Tennessee? Probably not, but definitely worthy of Top 5 or Top 10 consideration.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-21-02 11:06A]