Result of a Playoff Game Reversed

KnightTime05

It must stink going through life speaking before you think, huh Stu? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You would know that better than me after your last predictions. Whooooooo, Haaaaaaaa. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

PS By the way, have ya'll run anymore coaches off lately?

Tough call - I suppose the decision boils down to choosing between which team will be most angered by a decision against it - the one that won by the rules or the one that won by a bad call. I would have to side with the team that won by the rules, and my sympathy for the other coach disappeared when he started whining about some sort of conspiracy against his region of Mississippi. If he was really concerned about his players he'd be helping them deal with it rather than stoking bitter feelings.

If something like this is going to be done, then they should go to a neutral site with different officials and use the ten yard overtime procedure untill a winner is decided. let the game be won on the field, not a board room.

That's just it - the game was won on the field. The bad call came after the game had ended.

Wow. The officials made a mistake and a game was reversed. This is a tough situation. Part of me says if you have the opportunity to correct a wrong you do so. However if this same mistake was made at the end of the first half, it would not have been reversed. If you can't undo every mistake by an official, can you do it at all?

Here is a hypothetical situation. I saw a game this year on film in which a player clearly caught a ball 2 yards deep in the endzone on a kickoff. The referee did not blow the ball dead and allowed the player to return the ball out of the endzone. The player scored on the play. What if that score had been a deciding factor in the game? Could the opposing team send in the film and have the victory overturned? Just a question for thought.

Here is a hypothetical situation. I saw a game this year on film in which a player clearly caught a ball 2 yards deep in the endzone on a kickoff. The referee did not blow the ball dead and allowed the player to return the ball out of the endzone. The player scored on the play. What if that score had been a deciding factor in the game? Could the opposing team send in the film and have the victory overturned? Just a question for thought.

Wow. The officials made a mistake and a game was reversed. This is a tough situation. Part of me says if you have the opportunity to correct a wrong you do so. However if this same mistake was made at the end of the first half, it would not have been reversed. If you can't undo every mistake by an official, can you do it at all?

You're correct that the mistake would not be reversed at the end of the first half - the difference here is that the game was over - time had expired. The refs don't have the power to arbitrarily (or mistakenly) extend a game beyond regulation. They do have the power to screw things up during the game.

Aside from the fact that single events never decide football games, an error made by an official during the game is quite different than an error made after the game, for the same reason I stated above.