Taft Youth Center

Rankinated2010

Not sure about now but way back when they had a field (not to bad either). LA played them several times and even played at taft one year. We went up had dinner and then played the game. Yes they have had some great atheletes through the years.

LA is Livingston Academy? If there was only one such game played at Taft, then I was the umpire for that game. It was a different atmosphere that Friday night, for sure.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tenneesse prepatory school in nashville won a state championship in the 1970's i played for them a couple of years in 89 through 91 i don't think it's even a school anymore though.

TPS was one thing, Taft was another.

TPS was a facility for kids who has become wards of the state, but had not been sentenced for a crime. Taft, in the old days, was a "reform school" (the non-politically correct term) and was run by the Department of Correction (not Children's Services, as it is now) for juveniles who had been convicted of a crime.

Well it depends on when you play them. A few years ago they were undefeated when we beat them. The kids kicked the ball off the field and the game was stopped with two minutes left. But at one point they did play home games fyi

2004 we played them, their Qb was a beast! i think they would be a good team most years if they would maybe play better as a team, cause to them im sure winning isnt that important they prbly just wanna go out there and have fun

Well it depends on when you play them. A few years ago they were undefeated when we beat them. The kids kicked the ball off the field and the game was stopped with two minutes left. But at one point they did play home games fyi

scott high played @ taft during the '84 season and lost. you play a different team when you play at taft. we scrimmaged them there the year before it was shs, taft, livingston and notre dame acadamey. all day inside the wire. in the mid 70's @ scott a taft player returned a kickoff for a td jumped the fence and kept running. they caught him about 2 miles from the school still running full uniform with the football. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> and they took one kid off to the bus and cuffed him there one year.

LA is Livingston Academy? If there was only one such game played at Taft, then I was the umpire for that game. It was a different atmosphere that Friday night, for sure.

Yes wheels that would be Livingston Academy the year would be 86 or 87 we played them both years and I cant remember wich year we were at Taft. To say the least it was a very exciting experience.

Yes wheels that would be Livingston Academy the year would be 86 or 87 we played them both years and I cant remember wich year we were at Taft. To say the least it was a very exciting experience.

Taft has some very good athletes.THe problem is practice time and prior experience.It is nearly impossible to get adequete time in the weight room for them to grow.Also players that played this year will prolly be gone next year and the coaching staff has to start from scratch all again next year.When I played in high school we went to taft to scrimmage and got in a fight that would rival the one on "Blazing Saddles"!I have worked there since 94 and have seen both extremes.They had a kid in the late 90s that several college recuiters were after but I dont think he ever got it together.I talk to some of them after a game and they say focus is a big issue.For instance in a game one time they were lined down seconds befor the snap and one line leaned over to the other and said"Bra,check out that cheerleader"!!!!There is always a couple of great players(talent) and taft is a odd place to work I guess you could say.I have seen staff members lock up kids (players)on purpose just so they could not play in the game that night.

Taft has some very good athletes.THe problem is practice time and prior experience.It is nearly impossible to get adequete time in the weight room for them to grow.Also players that played this year will prolly be gone next year and the coaching staff has to start from scratch all again next year.When I played in high school we went to taft to scrimmage and got in a fight that would rival the one on "Blazing Saddles"!I have worked there since 94 and have seen both extremes.They had a kid in the late 90s that several college recuiters were after but I dont think he ever got it together.I talk to some of them after a game and they say focus is a big issue.For instance in a game one time they were lined down seconds befor the snap and one line leaned over to the other and said"Bra,check out that cheerleader"!!!!There is always a couple of great players(talent) and taft is a odd place to work I guess you could say.I have seen staff members lock up kids (players)on purpose just so they could not play in the game that night.

vpender since those days of old I have had the chance to work insde the gates at taft and those guys (the staff memebers) have more than their hands full, not with all that are there but some. Those guys that play at taft are for the most part talented and if they could play together for more than a year they would be a force.I think that it is wonderful that these kids have a chance to play football while they are there and I hope that each one of them can take a life lesson from the field and apply it to their lives.

vpender since those days of old I have had the chance to work insde the gates at taft and those guys (the staff memebers) have more than their hands full, not with all that are there but some. Those guys that play at taft are for the most part talented and if they could play together for more than a year they would be a force.I think that it is wonderful that these kids have a chance to play football while they are there and I hope that each one of them can take a life lesson from the field and apply it to their lives.

You are 1of the reason's this world is changing for the better