Pitcher,3rd base,LF,RF,1st Base

UC21FAN

Who off a Thunder- Sams coached team has signed to play college...

Where did the Fury and Thunder-Sams theam qualify at?

I think Thunder qualified 16U in Southerm OH National qualifier. Fury did not qualify for ASA Nationals Last season. They did qualify for this coming season at Southern Nationals at end of season that was in Florida for teams that failed to qualify for the 08 Nationals. The other TN team other than Force and Thunder that qualified in State was Xplosion in Nashville.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello My Name is Kara Woods. I am in search of a Quality College Exposure Team after the H.S. season is complete. Am willing to travel up to 3 to 4 hrs for the Best! Birth date is 6/21/93 Have pitched successfully at 43 feet in in other exposure tournaments. You can contact me for tryouts @ Dads e-mail [email protected]

Thank you for your time and possible interest.

Kara Woods #25

The TN. Redhotz 18 under team out of east Tn. is looking for a player, They play college exposure Tournament...Head coach Lynn Pace....and Joe Caldwell.....E-mail : [email protected]

Chattanooga Fury & Coach Moyer is a good choice for Exposure Tournaments. However there 18u/16u teams are usually made up of athletes that are already on the fast track to being signed or have committed already. Other teams you might want to look into are Knoxville Thunder & Fred Fekete's Magic team. The Thunder has contacts with many collage coaches & they have been attending higher level Exposure tournaments these past few years. Fred's last name alone gets his Magic team into most any Exposure tournament he wants but the quality of his teams has diminished some over the past few years. TN Xplosion is another team / organization that has a good feel for the recruiting process.

Good luck in your search!

Your comments are intresting,you played or seen the Magic play in 07 or 08?

Yes. Fred is a great coach but the quality of his team last summer & fall wasn't what i am accustom to seeing him put on the field. I meant no disrespect to him or his players.

Your post said over the last few years.Magic in 07 won more games than any team Fred has had.

The 16 U Fury has qualified for the 2009 ASA 16U Championship in Sioux Falls, South Dakaota.

They qualified by winning the 16U ASA Southern Nationals in Florida! This past summer!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The Fury team has the most trained coaches by far in the Tennessee area. That isnt to say other Tennessee coaches are bad but the Fury coaches keep abreast of how the top college teams teach and are very "skills" focused. A step above the rest!

I think Thunder qualified 16U in Southerm OH National qualifier. Fury did not qualify for ASA Nationals Last season. They did qualify for this coming season at Southern Nationals at end of season that was in Florida for teams that failed to qualify for the 08 Nationals. The other TN team other than Force and Thunder that qualified in State was Xplosion in Nashville.

The following are the 2008 16U teams qualifying for the Naitonals and where they qualified:

Chattanooga Force: Won one of two TN berths by winning rain shortened memorial day tournament in Chatt.

Knoxville Thunder - Sams: Won National Qualifier in Cincinatti, OH

TN Xplosion: Won the other TN berth by winning the ASA state tournament in Chatt.

Germantown Red Devils: Won berth through metro ASA area in Memphis (I believe), which is not part of TN ASA

Here is how they finished:

Xplosion 17th, Thunder 49th, Red Devils 65th, Force 97th

out of a field of over 125 teams.

Fury attempted to qualify at both tournaments in TN that awarded berths as well as the tournament awarding regional berths in Burlington, NC. Though they had a great team, they finished just outside of qualifying each time. As a result, they played in the souther nationals and won thereby securing an automatic berth into the 2009 nationals....good move on their part....they can spend all summer focusing on showcase tournaments without worrying about qualifiers.

BTW...the 16U Naitonals is by far the best recruiting venue of any of the national tournaments.

Who off a Thunder- Sams coached team has signed to play college...

Where did the Fury and Thunder-Sams theam qualify at?

Thunder - Sams had three of their 2009 graduates sign national letters of intent in November.

One signed with Carson Newman, another signed with LMU and the other signed with University of Alabama - Huntsville.

There was another 2009 who chose to pass on the early signing period and is contemplating a walk-on opportunity. Another needs a little improvement on the ACT's before she will be able to sign with her college of choice in the spring.

Hello My Name is Kara Woods. I am in search of a Quality College Exposure Team after the H.S. season is complete. Am willing to travel up to 3 to 4 hrs for the Best! Birth date is 6/21/93 Have pitched successfully at 43 feet in in other exposure tournaments. You can contact me for tryouts @ Dads e-mail [email protected]

Thank you for your time and possible interest.

Kara Woods #25

Kara,

Been down this path over the past few years. My advice would be that if you are unable to get onto a team that has a real chance of qualifying for the GOLD Nationals, then (at your age) you should consider playing with a team that can get you to the 2009 16U nationals.

Been to many "showcase" tournaments over the past two summers: Rising Stars, FL; Hot Times Classic, SC (twice); Cardinal Classic, NC to name a few. With regard to exposure to major universities....by far the best opportunities were at the 16U Nationals.

With the way the recruiting process is working now, the coaches will be at the 16U nationals looking for 2011's and 2012's this summer.

I am well aware of how you play. In my opinion you are a real talent and I would love to see you find the right team and get in front of the right coaches at the right time.

Good Luck!

Kara,

Been down this path over the past few years. My advice would be that if you are unable to get onto a team that has a real chance of qualifying for the GOLD Nationals, then (at your age) you should consider playing with a team that can get you to the 2009 16U nationals.

Been to many "showcase" tournaments over the past two summers: Rising Stars, FL; Hot Times Classic, SC (twice); Cardinal Classic, NC to name a few. With regard to exposure to major universities....by far the best opportunities were at the 16U Nationals.

With the way the recruiting process is working now, the coaches will be at the 16U nationals looking for 2011's and 2012's this summer.

I am well aware of how you play. In my opinion you are a real talent and I would love to see you find the right team and get in front of the right coaches at the right time.

Good Luck!

That would be correct . Assuming your graduation year is 2011, 16U is a great place for you ONLY if the team is competing in the ASA A 16U Nationals and has a shot at staying in the national tournament more than just 2 games.

18UA is going to be better this year at attracting coaches, as the competition will be tougher, but the coaches that attend 18UA nationals are a little different than the ones at 18U GOLD and 16UA. Usually , NAIA, lower end D-I, D-II, and D-III coaches attend these events in greater numbers. Nothing is wrong with these schools, and many, many offer great oportunities for a great education. You should focus on chosing your school on obtaining an education in your choice of study not just who have the best softball programs. Also , another point of emphasis, if you do choose to play 16UA this year, dont do so as a rising senior, if you are after a scholarship. Coaches want to see how you compete against the best of your age , and older, not against those younger than you.

One more point, unless you are just planning to compete for fun, avoid teams that focus on USSSA, NSA, USFA and other lower end tournaments. The coaches are not there. ASA "A" at the national level is the way to go. Teams that travel to be in the Boulder colorado tournament around the 4th of July , or can GET IN TO the top exposure tournaments across the nation are good too.

Since we're discussing top notch exposure tournaments I've got a question. In my 9 years of watching girls fastpitch in this area I've noticed that the vast majority of girls stay in the southeast for college. I actually can't think of any who have gone on to play at schools out west, or even west of the Mississippi. I do know a few who have headed a slightly north of TN. That being said, is it really worth all the money to head to Colorado to be 'seen' by coaches who either apparently don't want TN girls, or don't offer them anything. Has anyone from around here got a story to tell about a midwest, southwest, or west coast college being interested in them?

It seems like putting all your effort into exposures in the southeast would be better. Music City Hits for example draws coaches from a wide radius but a radius that most TN girls end up at. The Florida exposure, or even SC would be good choices. I don't know, I'm just asking because I'm not the smartest turnip on the truck but I'm just amazed that year after year people spend thousands to head out west to be 'seen' by coaches and the only ones showing interest are pretty much in their back yard.

One other thought, at an exposure tournament this fall, a Div l coach told me that she wasn't going to have as big of a budget for recruiting travel this year so she was focusing on local tournaments more. On OVC recruiter said that most universities were limiting the travel money for coaches.

That would be correct . Assuming your graduation year is 2011, 16U is a great place for you ONLY if the team is competing in the ASA A 16U Nationals and has a shot at staying in the national tournament more than just 2 games.

18UA is going to be better this year at attracting coaches, as the competition will be tougher, but the coaches that attend 18UA nationals are a little different than the ones at 18U GOLD and 16UA. Usually , NAIA, lower end D-I, D-II, and D-III coaches attend these events in greater numbers. Nothing is wrong with these schools, and many, many offer great oportunities for a great education. You should focus on chosing your school on obtaining an education in your choice of study not just who have the best softball programs. Also , another point of emphasis, if you do choose to play 16UA this year, dont do so as a rising senior, if you are after a scholarship. Coaches want to see how you compete against the best of your age , and older, not against those younger than you.

One more point, unless you are just planning to compete for fun, avoid teams that focus on USSSA, NSA, USFA and other lower end tournaments. The coaches are not there. ASA "A" at the national level is the way to go. Teams that travel to be in the Boulder colorado tournament around the 4th of July , or can GET IN TO the top exposure tournaments across the nation are good too.

WOW, Thanks for all the support, and discussions. I never new there would be so much help out there. I'm am accustomed to just someone saying good luck, Thank you all for everything, and to the comment earlier, about playing for fun, that's what a lot of people has told me, and I plan on staying away from those tournaments, I really need to focus on my career and education. Not bragging none, but just to throw out there, the UK Lady Coach sent our school an e-mail stating she was very interested in me which was totally shocking to me. After our H.S. Team finished third in the state. Unfortunately I broke my thumb right after that and she never got to see me play any more. Take Care all and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Kara Woods#25