Pitcher,3rd base,LF,RF,1st Base

UC21FAN

WOW, Thanks for all the support, and discussions. I never new there would be so much help out there. I'm am accustomed to just someone saying good luck, Thank you all for everything, and to the comment earlier, about playing for fun, that's what a lot of people has told me, and I plan on staying away from those tournaments, I really need to focus on my career and education. Not bragging none, but just to throw out there, the UK Lady Coach sent our school an e-mail stating she was very interested in me which was totally shocking to me. After our H.S. Team finished third in the state. Unfortunately I broke my thumb right after that and she never got to see me play any more. Take Care all and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Kara Woods#25

Don't know if you are getting any advice, so I will just throw a little out. If she contacted your HS coach, then you should be e-mailing them, filling out prospect questionaires, etc... in order to stay in touch with them.

Also, many times it is easier for you to go to them than it is for them to find you at a tournament. Check out their camps and get in one if at all possible in the off-season.

Here is a link to their winter camps.

http://www.ukathletics.com/camps/sb09_camps.html

Good Luck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, Thanks for all the support, and discussions. I never new there would be so much help out there. I'm am accustomed to just someone saying good luck, Thank you all for everything, and to the comment earlier, about playing for fun, that's what a lot of people has told me, and I plan on staying away from those tournaments, I really need to focus on my career and education. Not bragging none, but just to throw out there, the UK Lady Coach sent our school an e-mail stating she was very interested in me which was totally shocking to me. After our H.S. Team finished third in the state. Unfortunately I broke my thumb right after that and she never got to see me play any more. Take Care all and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Kara Woods#25

UC21FAN sounds more like a father posting instead of daughter........Can you smell touble with a parent I DO!

A good travel team/coach can do a lot to help you but you've got to do the majority of the work. That means contacting the coaches at the schools that you are interested in, going to their clinics and getting them to come see you at the tournaments that you attend. Here is a great link that has a lot of useful recruiting info:

http://www.eteamz.com/RECRUITINGTIPS/

In response to this comment:

Since we're discussing top notch exposure tournaments I've got a question. In my 9 years of watching girls fastpitch in this area I've noticed that the vast majority of girls stay in the southeast for college. I actually can't think of any who have gone on to play at schools out west, or even west of the Mississippi. I do know a few who have headed a slightly north of TN. That being said, is it really worth all the money to head to Colorado to be 'seen' by coaches who either apparently don't want TN girls, or don't offer them anything. Has anyone from around here got a story to tell about a midwest, southwest, or west coast college being interested in them?

It seems like putting all your effort into exposures in the southeast would be better. Music City Hits for example draws coaches from a wide radius but a radius that most TN girls end up at. The Florida exposure, or even SC would be good choices. I don't know, I'm just asking because I'm not the smartest turnip on the truck but I'm just amazed that year after year people spend thousands to head out west to be 'seen' by coaches and the only ones showing interest are pretty much in their back yard.

One other thought, at an exposure tournament this fall, a Div l coach told me that she wasn't going to have as big of a budget for recruiting travel this year so she was focusing on local tournaments more. On OVC recruiter said that most universities were limiting the travel money for coaches.

I dont think these girls are traveling to Colorado just to try to get scholarships out west, they are traveling to play against the top players and teams in the nation. This not only helps develop skills more readily than playing in local tournaments, it develops interest and creates scholarship offers by other college coaches which in turn helps the player get A LOT MORE money in scholarships where ever she decides to play...even if it is in the southeast. If a team like "Alabama" knows Oklahoma, Oregon, Cal, ect...are after a player...guess what ...their offer goes up. Full rides are hard to get. Playing and suceeding against the best is how you get them. The more that people "want" your daughter, the better deal she gets. You want your daughter to be a "blue chip recruit" . Not to put down Music City Hits but IT IS NOT A TRUE "GOLD" tournament. You are not playing the best. So if you get tons of strikeouts or homeruns does it really mean anything in terms of scholarship dollars to SEC schools?? Rising stars is good IF you can get Syd Cooper, , the tournament director to let you play blue chip teams. The Carolina tournaments are fine but the best are not there to play against.

Congrats On UK's interest in you. You need to know that SEC coaches have a very wide list for students of your age. They ID quite a few and put them on their "watch" list. The fact that you are on their watch list tells you that you are talented. You still need to market yourself to all schools you are interested in. Schools in the SEC can act like you are their number one recruit all the way to the end and then they offer one kid and drop the twenty others they have been talking to. Be prepared. Have several schools in your pocket too.

Screwball is right , this web site is EXCELLENT

http://www.eteamz.com/RECRUITINGTIPS/

/mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

UC21FAN sounds more like a father posting instead of daughter........Can you smell touble with a parent I DO!

Hey Redneck#1 this is her father speaking, my daughter is just trying to explore for herself instead of Dad doing it. Thanks for all the great inputs that the real ones that care has put in for Kara. I guess the name speaks for its self.

Have a great day!

IMO Thunder and Magic is not the best team in The Knox Area in 18A.... The White Lighting quailified for the 18A ASA Nationals last year...and didnt know it til reading this post looks like the Knox Eagles qualified also but not sure. Who does the Thunder have contacts with....and wich Thunder you talking about....The one Monday Coached the one Green Coached They both had numerous kids go to college...but I dont think either is coaching for the Thunder anymore...not 100% sure on that though.

The Knoxville Thunder 18 under teams did noy play either White Lighting or Maryville Majic teams this Summer.Doug Jones coached the 18 under and all but one of his kids signed. Some to UTC and ETSU just to name a few. Thunder Sams 16 under team played both Lighting and Maryville Majic 18under teams.Thunder 16 won both of though games from what I understand. Thunder-Sams 17Gold played 18 Fury Gold at UT Stadium and played to a 0-0 tie after 7 innings.

Hello My Name is Kara Woods. I am in search of a Quality College Exposure Team after the H.S. season is complete. Am willing to travel up to 3 to 4 hrs for the Best! Birth date is 6/21/93 Have pitched successfully at 43 feet in in other exposure tournaments. You can contact me for tryouts @ Dads e-mail barry.woods1@us.army.mil

Thank you for your time and possible interest.

Kara Woods #25

Kara. If you are looking for the best 16 under team in the area and I think that would be the best thing for you to do, The Knoxville Thunder 16 under team that is coached by Matt Harris I think and is by far the best team in East Tennessee. I know they did very well at ASA Nationals and I have seen them down here beat the Chattanooga Fury everytime they played them.They are well coached. Good Luck

The Knoxville Thunder 18 under teams did noy play either White Lighting or Maryville Majic teams this Summer.Doug Jones coached the 18 under and all but one of his kids signed. Some to UTC and ETSU just to name a few. Thunder Sams 16 under team played both Lighting and Maryville Majic 18under teams.Thunder 16 won both of though games from what I understand. Thunder-Sams 17Gold played 18 Fury Gold at UT Stadium and played to a 0-0 tie after 7 innings.

And also lost 12-0 in Cleveland at Lee