Travel or High School?

GoHockey

What team takes priority? High School team or Travel team?

Even though high school hockey is not as good as AA travel hockey, you play for pride with your high school team and the recognition of being a high school athlete.

Travel hockey helps you improve your skills by playing against better competition and helps to make you the best player you can be.

What team teaches you more about life and being a good citizen? If you play both travel hockey and for your high school team, can you honor both commitments? What team takes priority?

If your high school team has a game scheduled, but your travel team has a big practice planned at the same time, which should you go to? Is it fair to your high school teammates to bail out on the team and skip an important game for a practice with your travel team?

Just wondering what you think?

With most of the games here on wednesdays and fridays, our school's travel players miss a lot of friday games for tournaments over weekends that they travel for. They will miss travel practice for high school games but travel games come first. From what I hear this is an upper level travel team that travels basically anywhere east of the mississippi and will even miss school to leave for tournaments in Minnesota and Michigan.

• 4 months later...

What team takes priority? High School team or Travel team?

Even though high school hockey is not as good as AA travel hockey, you play for pride with your high school team and the recognition of being a high school athlete.

Travel hockey helps you improve your skills by playing against better competition and helps to make you the best player you can be.

What team teaches you more about life and being a good citizen? If you play both travel hockey and for your high school team, can you honor both commitments? What team takes priority?

If your high school team has a game scheduled, but your travel team has a big practice planned at the same time, which should you go to? Is it fair to your high school teammates to bail out on the team and skip an important game for a practice with your travel team?

Just wondering what you think?

Interesting. What do TSSAA rules say about playing both at the same time and the same seasons being concurrent? Maybe its a waiver? It's not allowed in some other sports.

HM, I see the problem and its created by not enough schools having teams and the TSSAA does not sanction it or maybe facilities to have Hockey and qualified officials. it really does not mean TSSAA doesn'tlike the sport but not enough schools want to pay the money to sanction it. So the sport is just out there by itself with only Travel Team Coaches and likely some helping high schools coach. Someone is paying the bills, likely those playing and parents are picking up insurance unless some agent has a group policy and everything is independent. There are evidently no rules, no ruling body and likely no league, no matter what is said. Who attends when is up to who wants to be there so I would suggest that a concerned person set up a Commissioner to oversee these Independent situations. How about you? While the set up is likely not serious, if two schools play and there is some altercation and I believe I read that happened somewhere, who keeps order?

You know someone will but they would have to have the authority. I would say thats an expensive sport and if two coaches are not in agreement as to practice or games or anything else, its an interesting situation sort of like back yard games that I remember in times past but i never had an opportunity of drawing plays out on the ice, we used to do it on the nearest pile of dirt that had no grass. What I think is this is a Private School issue with enough support to pay the bills and they and others want to play hockey. Most schools don't have access to rinks nor the interest and are putting their time and dollars in to the structure of other sports. Good luck to them.

Interesting. What do TSSAA rules say about playing both at the same time and the same seasons being concurrent? Maybe its a waiver? It's not allowed in some other sports.

HM, I see the problem and its created by not enough schools having teams and the TSSAA does not sanction it or maybe facilities to have Hockey and qualified officials. it really does not mean TSSAA doesn'tlike the sport but not enough schools want to pay the money to sanction it. So the sport is just out there by itself with only Travel Team Coaches and likely some helping high schools coach. Someone is paying the bills, likely those playing and parents are picking up insurance unless some agent has a group policy and everything is independent. There are evidently no rules, no ruling body and likely no league, no matter what is said. Who attends when is up to who wants to be there so I would suggest that a concerned person set up a Commissioner to oversee these Independent situations. How about you? While the set up is likely not serious, if two schools play and there is some altercation and I believe I read that happened somewhere, who keeps order?

You know someone will but they would have to have the authority. I would say thats an expensive sport and if two coaches are not in agreement as to practice or games or anything else, its an interesting situation sort of like back yard games that I remember in times past but i never had an opportunity of drawing plays out on the ice, we used to do it on the nearest pile of dirt that had no grass. What I think is this is a Private School issue with enough support to pay the bills and they and others want to play hockey. Most schools don't have access to rinks nor the interest and are putting their time and dollars in to the structure of other sports. Good luck to them.

http://gnashockey.com/