Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

Well before CoachT basnishes you non-plus member slackers to the basketball boards until spring practice, I thought I would get the good-natured banter started early.

If the Jedi does not beat Darth Rebel and the Evil Empire this year, I am calling for his head.

I like our chances just like I have most of the last 8 years. Who steps up for Maryville and Alcoa?

Will there be enough food at the Bread of Heaven that Friday?

Discuss, talk amongst yourselves.....

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at next years game, should be interesting. The Alcoa offense versus the Maryville defense will be the battle to watch.

I find it interesting seeing all(most) the Maryville posters talk about how they were glad Hillsboro beat them because they had a bunch of class. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> It just seemed to me that they went out of their way to make that point. Then for pepvol to talk about how Hillsboro and Melrose has pushed Maryville.

QOUTE pepvol:hhsfootballfan22 , I put you guys and Melrose in the same category , Tremendous Teams with tremendous Class , and world Class athletes . It really has been an Honor playing you guys , both Melrose and Hillsboro has pushed Maryville to be a better team . We knew each year that we were going to have our hands full with either one of your teams .

Let me tell you what's really funny about this comment. 1 Maryville hasn't played Hillsboro and Melrose every year.2 Notice the words world class and world class athletes.

I say to you pepvol that ALCOA has pushed Maryville and vice versa. These two programs have pushed each other. If you were to ask Quarles before this year, who was the best teams that he faces EVERY YEAR it would be ALCOA. Ask him yourself, don't believe me?? I know it is beyond you to ever give Alcoa any credit pepvol but next year we will earn it, just like Hillsboro.

Looking at next years game, should be interesting. The Alcoa offense versus the Maryville defense will be the battle to watch.

I find it interesting seeing all(most) the Maryville posters talk about how they were glad Hillsboro beat them because they had a bunch of class. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> It just seemed to me that they went out of their way to make that point. Then for pepvol to talk about how Hillsboro and Melrose has pushed Maryville.

QOUTE pepvol:hhsfootballfan22 , I put you guys and Melrose in the same category , Tremendous Teams with tremendous Class , and world Class athletes . It really has been an Honor playing you guys , both Melrose and Hillsboro has pushed Maryville to be a better team . We knew each year that we were going to have our hands full with either one of your teams .

Let me tell you what's really funny about this comment. 1 Maryville hasn't played Hillsboro and Melrose every year.2 Notice the words world class and world class athletes.

I say to you pepvol that ALCOA has pushed Maryville and vice versa. These two programs have pushed each other. If you were to ask Quarles before this year, who was the best teams that he faces EVERY YEAR it would be ALCOA. Ask him yourself, don't believe me?? I know it is beyond you to ever give Alcoa any credit pepvol but next year we will earn it, just like Hillsboro.

Just a few points from a "third-party":

1. PepVol is always respectful of Alcoa (and any other opponent Maryville is playing).

2. Maryville has been to Championship Game 7 of last 8 years. 6 of those games have been against either Hillsboro or Melrose. That might not be "every year" but it is awfully close.

3. I could "cut and paste" from any number of Alcoa supporter posters (as well as WB, Central, Halls, etc.) the old "we'll get them next year" phrase from year after year after year concerning beating Maryville. Might be a good idea for all of us to quit talking and actually do it one year. It would certainly add some credence to our boasts.

4. Maryville may have a few supporters (as we all do) that haven't handled winning (and finally losing) as well as they should, but in my mind PepVol is definitely NOT in that catagory.

5. I believe it is very possible Alcoa will defeat Maryville next year. Actually, I see 2 -3 other teams on Maryville's schedule that could beat them next season. But guess what? I said the same thing this year also and I was wrong. Until it happens, I'm sure not gonna "bet the house" against them.

6. Not really related to anything else much ... I saw Sam Thompson the other night at the Alcoa / Loudon basketball game. He is a physical beast. A source close to Coach Rankin quoted him as saying, "If Sam was 6'1", he could play college football anywhere in the country."

As of right NOW,............IMO:

- Maryville's 2009 defense will not be as good as this years defense.

- Alcoa's 2009 offense will be slightly better than this years offense.

- Maryville's 2009 offense will be quite a bit better than this years offense.

- Alcoa's 2009 defense will be close, but not quite as good as this years defense.

- MommaSTARS will keep STARS plenty warm this winter. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

1. PepVol is always respectful of Alcoa (and any other opponent Maryville is playing).

2. Maryville has been to Championship Game 7 of last 8 years. 6 of those games have been against either Hillsboro or Melrose. That might not be "every year" but it is awfully close.

3. I could "cut and paste" from any number of Alcoa supporter posters (as well as WB, Central, Halls, etc.) the old "we'll get them next year" phrase from year after year after year concerning beating Maryville. Might be a good idea for all of us to quit talking and actually do it one year. It would certainly add some credence to our boasts.

4. Maryville may have a few supporters (as we all do) that haven't handled winning (and finally losing) as well as they should, but in my mind PepVol is definitely NOT in that catagory.

5. I believe it is very possible Alcoa will defeat Maryville next year. Actually, I see 2 -3 other teams on Maryville's schedule that could beat them next season. But guess what? I said the same thing this year also and I was wrong. Until it happens, I'm sure not gonna "bet the house" against them.

6. Not really related to anything else much ... I saw Sam Thompson the other night at the Alcoa / Loudon basketball game. He is a physical beast. A source close to Coach Rankin quoted him as saying, "If Sam was 6'1", he could play college football anywhere in the country."

Way to much time on ur hands go christmas shopping

Way to much time on ur hands go christmas shopping

1. Done with all my shopping! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

2. I was hoping you'd just disappear after the election was over.

3. I don't agree with you signature line.

1. Done with all my shopping! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Govman, any chance you can convince the AD, principal, school board members, coaches or whomever is afraid to schedule Alcoa to reconsider? It is a shame that one of the biggest schools in TN won't man up and play a little bitty school like Alcoa.

What classification is Alcoa going to be next season? Maryville is going up to 6A next season aren't they?

3A

I can say pepvol is very respectful when losing, no doubt. He has given all sorts of credit to Hillboro. I will definitely agree with you on that. He has never been that respectful to the Tornadoes and we are 2.5 miles away. Who do you think has been Maryville's toughest game the last 5 years?? OR Maybe I should ask who was their toughest opponent. We can now say Hillsboro this year but who esle?? Who??

GovMan we will have to earn his respect with a win next year.

I can say pepvol is very respectful when losing, no doubt. He has given all sorts of credit to Hillboro. I will definitely agree with you on that. He has never been that respectful to the Tornadoes and we are 2.5 miles away. Who do you think has been Maryville's toughest game the last 5 years?? OR Maybe I should ask who was their toughest opponent. We can now say Hillsboro this year but who esle?? Who??

GovMan we will have to earn his respect with a win next year.

Wow , talk about needy ... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> So how dare I praise other teams without praising Alcoa . Over the years , I can't count how many times I've praised Alcoa and said that without each other , neither team would be near as good . It seems like there's a lot of Alcoa fans who always insist on Maryville fans saying they were the best team they played that year , but I'm not going to lie just to please guys like you . I'm not going to get into specifics , because when you want me to start comparing Alcoa with these other teams , It's a no win situation , and I also can't stand It when Maryville always gets matched up into those Imaginary games that they always seem to lose /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . That has always been the weak spot in Coach Quarles coaching resume ... he never wins those " Pretend " games that guys on CoachT make up .

I love Sarah Palin... Who wouldn't love this women?? She's like one of us. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Maryville and Alcoa match up will be a good one. I believe the offenses will be even. Alcoa will have a small advantage on the defensive side of the ball. With Maryville having the advantage in the kicking game. Alcoa has home field advantage. Maryville has the small advantage in coaching. Looks like this game could be very interesting.

I know you Alcoa fans are excited right now, that??™s a good thing, I am happy for you. But don't think Alcoa is close to some of the tougher teams Maryville has played the past 15 years. Alcoa vs. MHS the past 15 years is also 14-1, Maryville! During this time MHS has hung an average of 29.4 ppg on Alcoa and allowed only 10.2. Alcoa has had some great 2A teams, but let's not get silly! There were years where Knoz Cent, More West, Powell, Cleveland, Rhea, Hillsboro, Chatt Central, Memphis East, Melrose and maybe a few others would have destroyed Alcoa. Maybe not every year, but most years.

How about some of you Alcoa types explain to us just how weak 2A in East TN has been the past 10 years? Alcoa hangs big points on everyone in 2A but when Maryville gets off the bus or teams like Fulton comes around, Alcoa normally gets spanked? You clamor to get William Blount back on the schedule. In 02/03 the Gov's embarrassed the tornados. But yet Alcoa was for the most part un-challenged en-route to the 2A crown in 03.

Look great respect to Alcoa. It is great to have success and be on top of your class but let's not think Alcoa could have beat all of the teams Maryville has the past several years when most years they can't beat Maryville.

Next year will be a tough one for Maryville and Alcoa could win the contest. But getting it done on a regular basis won't happen.