Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

By the way, I have no animosity towards Alcoa. How in the world do you get that from listening to the TYNER game in 2005? If I had such animosity I would not have asked my station to do the game (even though I did not get paid) just so Alcoa's game could be on the air. As a matter of fact, when I first got AM 1400 to do football broadcasts, it was to do Alcoa. The problem was they made me sell commercials to do the games and I did not know any Alcoa people. That's how it ended up being WB football instead of Alcoa football on AM 1400. So maybe you should retract your earlier comments. Alcoa is a great school with great administrators and coaches. I just can't figure out why they have went through such a drought against the Rebels.

Actually, I made my off the wall post with the hope of distracting some of the posters who seemed to be getting a little too nasty with each other. Obviously, it didn't work, as you are the only person who responded to it. The rest of the posters stayed on task and continued to discuss the Maryville-Alcoa game, generate bar charts, dispute each other's arithmetic, and call each other morons.

I have coached youth sports quite a bit over the years and know how difficult it is to get sponsors for the teams and signs for the fences. I'm sure it is quite a bit more difficult to get sponsors for broadcasts. Then you have to work with the advertisers to script the commercials and organize the broadcasts so that all the commercials are aired and are aired in the correct order.

I also realize that broadcasting local high school sports is a labor of love and can take a lot of time away from the family, particularly during basketball season when you sometimes broadcast doubleheaders several nights a week. Anyone willing to commit to do this is to be commended. Local sports broadcasting has to be considered a hobby, because NOBODY is getting rich doing it.

I, however, was serious about one part of my post. I do believe that there is too much obsession with being "THE BEST" at something, with anything less than "THE BEST" considered to be failure.

Something that perplexes me is the seeming need in our society to identify and proclaim something as "THE BEST". Why does it even matter which rivalry is "THE BEST"? Just enjoy the rivalries for what they are, a diversion that stirs up excitement in communities and an escape from the problems all of us face in the real world.

Sorry about dragging your good name through the mud in an attempt to make a point. Still, I won't completely retract my earlier comments. I'll just amend them to say that maybe sometimes you completely unconsciously take digs at Alcoa teams during your broadcasts.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I made my pick for this game, but I did NOT like to do it.

First off I like and more importantly RESPECT BOTH teams.

Secondly it is no secret that I do NOT like Gary Rankin as a person, but I do respect his ability as a coach.

Third no matter what folks say Rankin does not like to lose!

As it is at Alcoa this year and they have already had a game to get into their winning ways, I picked Alcoa.

Maryville folks this pick is NOTHING to worry about as I was WRONG last week on a third of my picks. :roflol:

Good luck to both teams and hopefully it will be a safe one for both teams and fans. :roflol:

Oh and YES I did find a FOOL that gave me points! :roflol:

There is always talk about tuition,recuiting, and trash service, complete with nice graphics....usually fit for the garden

You can add to that list of traditions Gary Rankin NEVER talking before or after (and probably during) the Maryville/Alcoa game without bringing up the enrollment difference. Loves to come out in spring and say he has so many players he doesn't have enough britches for them. Maryville? "They're bigger than us". Loves to mention thrashing Farragut and Oak Ridge in Scrimmages. Maryville? "Well its a numbers game with them". Year four of this tradition in the daily times this morning. And if ANYONE in reality counts 100 Maryville players on the sideline tomorrow night as he said there would be let me know.

Yea, I agree. I just finished the daily times fish wrap. Typical. Rankin points to numbers. His lowly team loses because of numbers.

I guess if Alcoa should manage to win this annual clash they will be the greatest ever and the numbers won't matter right? Sure they got 5 straight. That's 5 straight and the lowest competition level in the state playing mostly cream puffs. Being challenged late is something Alcoa has never seen. The rebels see it every year. Playing several kids both ways can also take a toll. Playing ones key starters both ways on every down will also hurt a team if you play another high powered team.

The keys. MHS has an experienced back field and an effective passing game. Who is better at using that then GQ? Alcoa has experience on D and O, but I bet they haven't seen a back like Jones the past two years. Depth is always a concern and Rankin saying Maryville has it is a bit skewed. Last week at bell co. he said “They’re a tough, hard-nosed, physical ball club,” Alcoa coach Gary Rankin said of the Bobcats. “I think they got tired a little bit and we might have had just a little more depth than they did and it wore on them a little bit.”

This year might be Alcoa’s year, but we have heard that now for over 9 years. We know there will be allot of hate up there but even with aloca's 2a record, they are in no way on par with what the Rebel's have accomplished since 98’ Just ask Nike.

A comment like that in August speaks volumes as to the competition you play most weeks, and how difficult you feel your journey through the playoffs will be.

For one that comment was a little bit of tongue and check. I was just giving you a little bit of ribbing. Alcoa hasn't won anything yet. As for the competition Maryville has played to get to the championship game. I would say that it hasn't been much better than what Alcoa's had to play against. Granted the teams in the championship game have been very good but I say to you Alcoa's been better than any team Maryville has faced before you have gotten to the title game. So typical of SOME of the Maryville elitist. And look here comes one of the elitist ring leaders FBEmoron. Right on cue... :roflol:

After this year we'll have the same as Maryville.

A comment like that in August speaks volumes as to the competition you play most weeks, and how difficult you feel your journey through the playoffs will be.

Alcoa is still a (new classification) 3A team....right? Alcoa is the third smallest school in that classification with 544 students...........right? Alcoa plays up in "out of district" games right? EX: Maryville 1555, Bell Co, 865, Chatt Howard 1065., Fulton, 900+. Even in region.......Alcoa is the smallest school,....Kingston, Scott Co. and Stome Mem. are both 4A in region schools with enrollments over 1000 students. Alcoa plays in it's classification and plays the in the region selected by TSSAA. It's not Alcoa fault the competition in their classification has not stacked up?

Bottom line Maryville has 6A enrollment......it's time for Maryville to play Schools their size and bigger just like Alcoa has for years. So, quit whinning Maryville fans about all the stuff that you think is unfair in Alcoa land. Don't hate just because Alcoa can dominate their region competition.

This year might be Alcoa’s year, but we have heard that now for over 9 years. We know there will be allot of hate up there but even with aloca's 2a record, they are in no way on par with what the Rebel's have accomplished since 98’ Just ask Nike.

The funny part, is the Maryville sheep sense the winds changing on their ten years of dominance in 4A. And the whine can already be heard. And, they also know Alcoa has built a program that CAN continue on it's current path for a long time. Alcoa WILL have the TN record for most championships, most championship in a row.......and future wins over Maryville. :roflol: Check back FBEmoron and see what accomplishments the little school that's a dump as put together over the next five years and compare to Maryvilles! :roflol:

I will be the first to admit, Alcoa fans did their fair share of whining about the losses to Maryville, but the whining from the Maryville fans this year is funny. I hate to hear all the excuses and so if Alcoa ("the blind possum that finds the grub worn") wins! :roflol::blush: