Artificial Noisemakers?

Rowdy

2007-08 TSSAA Handbook

Page 5 January 7, 2008

VI. GENERAL TOURNAMENT REGULATIONS

C. No air horns, cow bells, megaphones, sirens, clackers, cans with marbles or rocks inside or individual type noise makers will be allowed in district, region, sectionals, and state tournaments. The use of artificial noisemakers is prohibited at all levels. Additionally, no explosive devices will be allowed in region, sectionals, and state tournaments.

DL.

Based on an administrator's explanation to me, all of the items you list are banned by TSSAA at basketball games.

BUT...

I think it depends on the refs and/or how obnoxious the fans are. I've been to games where students had those mini-megaphones. I also attended a game where the refs refuse to start the game until the mini-megaphones were all confiscated. I can't say that I've seen any of the items in your list at a basketball game. I have heard them at outdoor events (soccer, baseball, softball, etc), but never indoors. Maybe TSSAA decided rather than rule item by item they would ban all "artificial" noise from games.

I think it is a shame and takes some of the fun out of the atmosphere. But, there were times I've attended other sporting events and wanted to shove a guys airhorn so far ... because I was suffering temporary deafness.

So TSSAA has banned the use of artificial noisemakers in indoor sports, but so they are ok at outdoor sports?

i am not sure they are completely legal at outdoor events, but refs dont care as long as there used at appropriate times. like if you score in soccer you can toot your horn all you want.

so according to those rules, you can use any of those artificial noisemakers at a NON-district opponent, that isnt in the sectional or state tournament.

i am not sure they are completely legal at outdoor events, but refs dont care as long as there used at appropriate times. like if you score in soccer you can toot your horn all you want.

so according to those rules, you can use any of those artificial noisemakers at a NON-district opponent, that isnt in the sectional or state tournament.

Yes, that is true the rules don't state anything about not using them against opponents outside district and tournament play.

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, Rpruitt said:

This is a pathetic rule honestly... how unruly can someone be with a “artificial noise maker”  are they gonna shake it too much? Blow it too much? Be that much louder than a group of students or fans can be?? It’s knit picking at its finest...

I'll use your own logic against you... if you can make that much noise without artificial noisemakers, why do you need one? I don't attend athletic events to hear someone blow an air horn. Having said that, I'll use the practical defense of the rule... where would you draw the line? Cowbells and non amplified megaphones aren't that disruptive, but would you want the student section to all have the amplified ones? How about a siren? The simplest place to differentiate is to disallow them all, rather than field all the " if he can have his, why can't I have mine?" questions. Just go watch the game, and yell all you want.