ACL tears

lilc3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to hear it lilc3. My daughter tore hers last week. Surgery scheduled for mid-January.

It's the pits to lose the season.

Best of luck to you for a speedy and complete recovery.

Maybe you and my daughter can exchange emails during the rehab process.

Mental part is by far the worst thing to deal with. Especially with a daughter. Mine tore hers in her 2nd ever varsity contest as a sosphomore & never made it back to the floor thanks to coach who never thought she put forth enough effort afterwards. Tore on Thanksgiving, played soccer then next fall. Getting rehabbed & fit was not an issue. Having confidence & dealing with others totally differnt story. Good luck.

Mental part is by far the worst thing to deal with. Especially with a daughter. Mine tore hers in her 2nd ever varsity contest as a sosphomore & never made it back to the floor thanks to coach who never thought she put forth enough effort afterwards. Tore on Thanksgiving, played soccer then next fall. Getting rehabbed & fit was not an issue. Having confidence & dealing with others totally differnt story. Good luck.

My little brother tore one playing baseball and the other playing FB. Used to be career ending now little scar if you do the rehab and have a good surgeon 12-16 weeks. ACL is really turning into the sprained ankle 20 years ago. As long as you have great surgeons and are religious on the rehab. Btw brother got a d1 scholarship after 2 acl's.

My little brother tore one playing baseball and the other playing FB. Used to be career ending now little scar if you do the rehab and have a good surgeon 12-16 weeks. ACL is really turning into the sprained ankle 20 years ago. As long as you have great surgeons and are religious on the rehab. Btw brother got a d1 scholarship after 2 acl's.

my daughter tore her acl in both knees, the first as a freshman in AAu, the second her Junior year. She also had her meniscus in each knees repaired. She is back on the floor as a senior, but as was stated above, the mental is very hard to overcome. My advice, get a good surgeon, ask around, listen to them, do the rehab, and work at home. Work on the jump stop, ladies have a tendency of landing with the knees going in, instead of straight. The good news is, the surgery is 95%, the rest is up to you, and life is not over. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The information and opinions expressed by me are my experiences that worked best for my daughter's ACL. Please do your research and see what fits best for your situation. She tore her ACL last February 2008, had surgery in March, and came back in November 2008. As everyone has posted, perform your home exercises and do exactly what therapist requests. You need to research the timeframe of coming back from this injury. Most people have the notion that 6 months is the majic rehab time. My doctor's research studies show that those that come back in 4 to 6 months are 30% more likely to tear their ACL again. These latest statistics shown to me suggest 8 to 9 months as the timeframe to rehab before attempting to comeback. This will give a much lower percentage of recurring injury. It was tough for my daughter to sit out this summer for Exposure events, but now seeing her have an extra 2-1/2 months of aggressive rehab therapy, has shown a major beneficial difference in her physical and mental abilities.

One of my most important learning experiences in all of this is Core Training Exercises. Trent Nessler is an Aggressive Physical Therapist at Baptist Sports Medicine. He wrote a journal with these Core Training Exercises. The exercises give support to the important areas where many injuries occur. My daughter came back faster and more agile than she was before injury last February. You can go to www.aclprogram.com to learn these exercises and the research behind them. Dr. Damon Petty performed my daughter's surgery and he is out of Baptist Hospital in Nashville. Also has 2nd office in Lebanon called TN Orthopedics. He studied under Dr. Andrews in Birmingham that treats many Pro and college athletes. I hope your child has a complete and speedy recovery.

Show them the players that have come back from the injury to excel. The main thing I have noticed is the mental part of the injury is sometimes harder to deal with than the actual injury.

The UT Lady Vols are a perfect example. Pat Summitt-Knee injury early 70s, olympic medalist.

Kelley Jolly UT National Championships. Knee injury in high school, another in college. Coach at I believe W.Carolina

Candice Parker UT National Championships. Knee injury in high school. Now in the WNBA.

Alex Fuller UT National Championships. Knee injury in high school. More surgury in college. Still playing at UT.

Kate McMahan UT. Knee injury in High school. Still playing at UT.

There is a long list of others.

The information and opinions expressed by me are my experiences that worked best for my daughter's ACL. Please do your research and see what fits best for your situation. She tore her ACL last February 2008, had surgery in March, and came back in November 2008. As everyone has posted, perform your home exercises and do exactly what therapist requests. You need to research the timeframe of coming back from this injury. Most people have the notion that 6 months is the majic rehab time. My doctor's research studies show that those that come back in 4 to 6 months are 3 times more likely to tear their ACL again. These latest statistics shown to me suggest 8 to 9 months as the timeframe to rehab before attempting to comeback. This will give a much lower percentage of recurring injury. It was tough for my daughter to sit out this summer for Exposure events, but now seeing her have an extra 2-1/2 months of agressive rehab therapy, has shown a major beneficial difference in her physical and mental abilities.

One of my most important learning experiences in all of this is Core Training Exercises. Trent Nessler is an Aggressive Physical Therapist at Baptist Sports Medicine. He rehabbed these Core Training Exercises which gives support in the important areas where many injuries occur. My daughter came back faster and more agile than she was before injury last February. You can go to www.aclprogram.com to learn these exercises and the research behind them. Dr. Damon Petty performed my daughter's surgery and he is out of Baptist Hospital in Nashville. Also has 2nd office in Lebanon called TN Orthopedics. He studied under Dr. Andrews in Birmingham that treats many Pro and college athletes. I hope your child has a complete and speedy recovery.

Very good info. Puma!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I was probably not too encouraging bringing up my daughter's 4 knee surgeries. I was just trying to point out even after 4 surgeries, she is still playing ball. Having said that, my daughter's case is rare. In most cases, players have great careers after a acl reconstruction. Jimbo gave a list, I might add Caroline Williams, who had a great career at Vanderbilt, had several knee surgeries in High School, and she was a great college player.

I think Puma has some really good advice, do your homework and get the best surgeon you can find. That is the one area that we have no control over, the surgery, but we do choose the surgeon. I think what Puma was saying about the time frame is correct, do not rush it! 8 to 9 months is about right, some surgeons may promise 4-6 mos, but that is too soon. Physical therapy is the key! Do the homework, work hard, and before you know it, you will be on the floor again. Best to you. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Puma knows what he is talking about, his daughter is playing at a real high level and has signed to play at the next level.

Anyone have any advice for someone who's madly in love with basketball just tore their ACL??? it would be much appriciated. Out for 6 months.... Junior guard. looking at surgery soon. Anything i need to know about the surgery or rehab..... let me know. PLEASE

I tore my ACL my eigth grade year and it is a very hard thing to go through. My surgeon was Dr. Kurt Spindler from Vanderbilt and i had my rehab there as well. It will be very hard to grasp at first that she is out and it will be very hard for her to sit and watch her team play knowing that she can't. Just definetly make sure you are there for her and let her know that she will be back as soon as she can but DON'T RUSH IT!!!! that will only make it worse. The rehab will be difficult and she will have rehab the day after her surgery which is not pleasant. It is a long and slow process but once she is healed she will be just as strong as she was before. In rehab she will also be very sore starting out because she has lost muscle tone in her leg and she will have to work twice as hard to build it up again. If you have any more questions you can email me at NCSHulan25@yahoo.com /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />