ACL tears

lilc3

From experience of two ACL tears in the same knee my Sophmore and Senior seasons of high school, make sure you have a good doctor and a VERY good physical therapist that will help keep you on the proper track to recovery. My first ACL tear, I had to watch my team play in the state tournament. I had a patella tendon graft surgery with no mensicus tears. I went to the local doctor and everything seemed fine until 2 years to the same day(my senior year), I tore it again along with mensius this time. My team was on its way to the state tournament again that year and I didn't want to miss out this time. I went to Dr. Andrews (when he was practicing in Birmingham, AL) and he said I could finish the season (if i worked at it) with my ACL torn. I went thru weeks of therapy and worked myself back on the floor. I played 3-4 weeks with my ACL torn, only playing limited minutes on the floor, but achieved my goal of playing in the state tournament. I had surgery after the season and went on to play college at the D-I level (and yes, they will still look at you if you have knee problems) I had a hamstring graft taken from the same leg and it feels so much better and stronger than after the first one. I tore mensicus my sophmore season in college and went to play in the NAIA for my junior and senior seasons. I reached the top of all my goals by finishing my career by winning the last game I could ever play- the national championship. Through all the struggles, discouragement, trials, tough therapy, etc. I kept myself in prayer and worked hard in the training room. I just want my experience to show that a knee surgery doesn't have to be a career-ending injury if you do not want it to be. I had a really good Dr and a really good physical therapist who helped keep me on track. BTW Dr Andrews released me in 4 months after the 2nd tear and the menscius tear my sophmore season in college was part of the repaired menscius from my second ACL surgery (I was back to it in just a few weeks). He used my same scar from the previous surgery but his was only half as small as the first which is pretty amazing if you think about it. Dr Andrews did tell me about new information of hip strength in females. He found that mine were probably the problem and I strengthened them in college and didn't have any more injuries while playing. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Thank you so much!!! What an inspiring story. I could only dream of playing D1. wow. And playing with your ACL requires alot of strength for sure. Congrats on playing in the National Championship! Prayer is key you are right. I'm glad this doesn't have to be the end. So very glad. I hope my story when it's all done will be as inspiring as yours.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much!!! What an inspiring story. I could only dream of playing D1. wow. And playing with your ACL requires alot of strength for sure. Congrats on playing in the National Championship! Prayer is key you are right. I'm glad this doesn't have to be the end. So very glad. I hope my story when it's all done will be as inspiring as yours.

I deal with athletes like you everyday lilc3, and I understand what you are going through. My advice to you would be to ask whatever questions you want to the Dr., Athletic Trainer, and Physical Therapist. If you are not sure why they ask you to do this or do that, then ask. Six months is pretty soon to come back 100%. It really depends on what damage you have done. That will be revealed in the MRI scan. The way Sports Medicine has come in just the past 5 years is truly amazing! Is there an Athletic Trainer at your school? If so, sit down with them and ask away! As Athletic Trainers we have been educated on the prevention, rehab, assessment, and treatment of injuries. Some athletes come back in better shape and more agile because some rehab protocols really help an athlete work on certain muscles they have never really focused on. The key to this will be patience and not trying to do "too much too fast". Just remember this: The Dr., Athletic Trainer, Physical Therapist, and yourself will all be on the same page and that's "to get you back as quickly and safely as possible!!" There will be times during your rehab when you may get discouraged and you have to battle through that. You may feel like you will NEVER get better, you will just have to push forward. Another key will be to set "short term" goals rather than "long term" goals. I tell all my athletes that we have to set reasonable goals. If you set goals that are more than likely not realistic you will be discouraged if that goal is not reached. Go into rehab everday and say, "Am I going to be better today and give more effort today than I did yesterday?" The reward will be you stepping back out on that court, nailing a three, and your teammates giving you a high five!!! Good luck

I deal with athletes like you everyday lilc3, and I understand what you are going through. My advice to you would be to ask whatever questions you want to the Dr., Athletic Trainer, and Physical Therapist. If you are not sure why they ask you to do this or do that, then ask. Six months is pretty soon to come back 100%. It really depends on what damage you have done. That will be revealed in the MRI scan. The way Sports Medicine has come in just the past 5 years is truly amazing! Is there an Athletic Trainer at your school? If so, sit down with them and ask away! As Athletic Trainers we have been educated on the prevention, rehab, assessment, and treatment of injuries. Some athletes come back in better shape and more agile because some rehab protocols really help an athlete work on certain muscles they have never really focused on. The key to this will be patience and not trying to do "too much too fast". Just remember this: The Dr., Athletic Trainer, Physical Therapist, and yourself will all be on the same page and that's "to get you back as quickly and safely as possible!!" There will be times during your rehab when you may get discouraged and you have to battle through that. You may feel like you will NEVER get better, you will just have to push forward. Another key will be to set "short term" goals rather than "long term" goals. I tell all my athletes that we have to set reasonable goals. If you set goals that are more than likely not realistic you will be discouraged if that goal is not reached. Go into rehab everday and say, "Am I going to be better today and give more effort today than I did yesterday?" The reward will be you stepping back out on that court, nailing a three, and your teammates giving you a high five!!! Good luck

I would have certainly guessed that you did tell your football players not to do too much too fast. Thank goodness, you didn't make a prediction as to when anything would happen. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I only know of that girl in dyersburg who tore one ACL one year, then the other one the next year. She has since had another surgery which may or may not be related to the previous ACL surgeries. I also understand she's still playing for Ole Miss...I would encourage you or your daughter to call that high school coach, Randy Coffman at Dyersburg High School & talk with him or see if he can get your daughter that player's number to talk with her. What I do know based on conversations I have witnessed and had with that player & her family, surgery is the easy part. The rehab and mental aspects afterwards are tougher and more painful. If she truely loves the sport and the competition, she'll fight through it & succeed. Do not rush rehab, be it 6 months, 9 months or a full year and brace mentally for the other one to tear as well....

My prayers are with you. Anytime a child hurts, everyone who loves them hurts right along with them....good luck...

Anyone have any advice for someone who's madly in love with basketball just tore their ACL??? it would be much appriciated. Out for 6 months.... Junior guard. looking at surgery soon. Anything i need to know about the surgery or rehab..... let me know. PLEASE

usually when people say that you need to recover from something... they mean your going to have a hard time getting to where you were; but if its what you want it can be done... i think that ur proly a really cool person who has worked to hard to just give up and say thats you cant take it anymore.. i know first hand that giving up on basketball is a mistake. emotionally this is going to be hard, phsically to but what do want from the work uve already put in? If you need any help you can ask your freinds... they will be happy to help you.. infact i bet it would put a smile on their face just to hear you consider them..goodluck with your recovery.. i will be praying for you, and your team. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

ok. thanks. Will the scar be real big?

Most people that I know have one big scar on their knee from the surgery but Elrod did 2 cuts to where when i stand up, they blend in with my skin to where no one could really tell that I had surgery. Many people don't notice my scars from the surgery so....I don't think that the scars from Elrod are that big.

Most people that I know have one big scar on their knee from the surgery but Elrod did 2 cuts to where when i stand up, they blend in with my skin to where no one could really tell that I had surgery. Many people don't notice my scars from the surgery so....I don't think that the scars from Elrod are that big.

Dr Elrod did my daughters ACL also and like yours there are two scars, now 7 months later scars are still little pinker than normal skin color but fading, by summer dont think we will notice them at all. My daughter had hers done on June 6th of this year and tonight will be here first game back, took alot of hard work and determination and support from family, but love of the game outwilled all of it.

i tore my acl in football first of nov. had surgery ten days later did a huge amount of rehab and had a awsome athletic trainer at the school who helped me alot and the pt did the rehab and by jan. i was cleared for jv limited mins and 3 weeks later cleared for varsity mins the doc said it was quickest and strongest he had seen i had the graph removed from one knee to replace the acl in other if y have the chance have that done because your legs get so much stronger from that! good luck and dont give up!

Athletes are amazing people. Yep, the notoriety is great. Yep the press clippings provide something. Yep peer support and interest keeps you going. But to get there, with the hard work and determination and injuries and to recover, will be something one will never forget. To reach that next mountain top after all of the pain and emotional distress may be the greatest achievements one may have in one's life. Trophies can be achieved by a lot of hard work on the court and with great teamwork by ones peers but after looking back after a recovery, look back at the teamwork that has been given by one of the finest teams you may ever been on, the team of your friends and team mates, your surgeon and his support staff, your rehab therapist, your school trainer and the most important part of your team, your family without whose support and encouragement thru some trying times, it could have never been done. After sitting here and reading the posts of fine athletes who have recovered and know what it takes to do so, one can only be inspired by the dedication and determination of those who did not give up but just reach another challenge. That's an athlete and their mindset.

Thanks knighttime. i really appriciate your tips and advice. i'm having surgery on January 2nd, a bone patellar tendon graft from my same left knee. im very anxious, nervous, etc. i would really appriciate everyone's prayers.... For some reason, i will not be in therapy until 4-6 weeks after, but i do think my surgeon knows what he's doing. The MRI showed i have a complete tear of the acl, a lateral menisus tear, and a bone bruise on the bottom of my femur.

I cant wait to be nailing three's again! Unfortunatly we do not have an athletic trainer at our school, bc it is rather small. But my orthopaedic doctor is very open for questions so i asked away yesterday. Thanks again.

Thanks knighttime. i really appriciate your tips and advice. i'm having surgery on January 2nd, a bone patellar tendon graft from my same left knee. im very anxious, nervous, etc. i would really appriciate everyone's prayers.... For some reason, i will not be in therapy until 4-6 weeks after, but i do think my surgeon knows what he's doing. The MRI showed i have a complete tear of the acl, a lateral menisus tear, and a bone bruise on the bottom of my femur.

I cant wait to be nailing three's again! Unfortunatly we do not have an athletic trainer at our school, bc it is rather small. But my orthopaedic doctor is very open for questions so i asked away yesterday. Thanks again.

Probably because of the meniscus tear, they are being cautious, they like to repair those in young people, but becuase of a small amount of blood supply, they take time to heal, before agressive rehab.

The good part about the petella tendon, the bone on bone heals quicker. Best to you /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Anyone have any advice for someone who's madly in love with basketball just tore their ACL??? it would be much appriciated. Out for 6 months.... Junior guard. looking at surgery soon. Anything i need to know about the surgery or rehab..... let me know. PLEASE

I've never tore my ACL, but 5 of my teammates on my ball team have and the best advice i can give you is to not think that you know more then the doctor. Our best post player is just now coming back after sitting out almost 9 months. She could've been back about 3-5 months ago but she didn't listen to the doctor and stopped using her cruches and started running on it and stuff and got fluid in her knee and eventually developed staff. So that made her have 2 extra surgeries. I know how hard it is to just sit and watch your team play and really wanting to be out there because i've had to sit out for 2 games in a row bc of a concussion, but just trust your doctor and you'll get back out there alot quicker then you will if you take it upon yourself.