ACL tears

lilc3

Actually, it was me a dad, but it's hard to tell on here sometimes.

I am sorry,,,,i just assumed.

I hope the best for your daughter and hope next year is everything she has worked for.

Daughters sugical pain was pretty bad today. Its hard to see her hurting. From both basketball loss and her injury.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Daughters DOC was DR. Burton Elrod ( Elite Sports Medicine )Baptist Center. He is absolutely Great. She was back shooting ball in 6 weeks. Her Surgery was on June 20th 2008. two weeks before her high school team started conditioning which was mid october, he released her to play. Her problem was a Patellofemoral Problem which made her knee cap completely ride outside of the groove and out of place. which built up calcium buid up underneath the knee. Elrod did a latteral release and put her knee cap back in place and removed all the calcium buid up under her knee cap so her knee cap would fit back in place. She was shooting in 6 weeks and playing nearly full speed in 13 weeks. I truly believe in everything they do at Elite sports medicine. The Doctors, therapists, radiology( which is right there in there building ) are absolutely great. I would not consider taking my kid anywhere else no questions asked.

My Daughters DOC was DR. Burton Elrod ( Elite Sports Medicine )Baptist Center. He is absolutely Great. She was back shooting ball in 6 weeks. Her Surgery was on June 20th 2008. two weeks before her high school team started conditioning which was mid october, he released her to play. Her problem was a Patellofemoral Problem which made her knee cap completely ride outside of the groove and out of place. which built up calcium buid up underneath the knee. Elrod did a latteral release and put her knee cap back in place and removed all the calcium buid up under her knee cap so her knee cap would fit back in place. She was shooting in 6 weeks and playing nearly full speed in 13 weeks. I truly believe in everything they do at Elite sports medicine. The Doctors, therapists, radiology( which is right there in there building ) are absolutely great. I would not consider taking my kid anywhere else no questions asked.

i hear alot of good things about doctor Elrod. He seems to be the best of the best. if i lived closer i'd definatly give him a shot.

just got my surgery bill back, 35,000 dollars. thats alot of 0's. but thank goodness the insurance paid most of it.

shooting in 6 weeks? wow! did she have any meniscus tears at the point of the injury? cuz its my 4th week to the date and im still on crutches. i guess everyone heals at diffrent speeds depending on their body's responce and on the doctor and their support group.

oh ok, i hope i dont have any hamstring hangups of the such. when i experience these "patellar hangups", am i at risk of retearing it? it feels so tight and tense. i have proceded with my exersises but they are getting worse. im guna call my doctor today, and ask him his opinion on it. im wondering if when i start to walk again, if i'll have a brace or not? haha i guess im just getting anxious and im always full of questions.

Talking to your doctor is exactly what you should do. Most of the time, the knee will feel tight, but no risk of re-tearing with the exercises as long as you do what you have been told. One exercise to not do early on is knee extension, (moving your leg from bent to straight), using your quads. When you need to straighten out your leg, use the other ankle to help. Ask your PT about the patellar pain. And hang in there. When you start walking, it will be with your brace locked and crutches, then with your brace unlocked only in PT, no crutches, then with your brace unlocked all the time. How quickly you get out of the brace depends on your quad strength.

Keep me informed!! I am pulling for you!!

I just have looked in on this site and for the past 4 years had initiated it on this forum. There was a lot of help during that time. But the information soming out of this year's version is of high caliber that I have seen and expecially the PT help being given. This is a very high quality group of posters that has concern. However, not to get you off subject and it should not be done, finding ways to cut down on the injuries to start with could be of interest to many. It may need to be put on another thread to not disturb the interaction between those who are communicating here. The best way I can explain this is OUTSTANDING and with as many acls as I am hearing of, this thread could go on for some time. Athletic injuries are a fact of life but systemic help from Doctors such as the ones mentioned and some followup from those helping here is invaluable. This subject and care has sure improved over the years. Good luck.

Talking to your doctor is exactly what you should do. Most of the time, the knee will feel tight, but no risk of re-tearing with the exercises as long as you do what you have been told. One exercise to not do early on is knee extension, (moving your leg from bent to straight), using your quads. When you need to straighten out your leg, use the other ankle to help. Ask your PT about the patellar pain. And hang in there. When you start walking, it will be with your brace locked and crutches, then with your brace unlocked only in PT, no crutches, then with your brace unlocked all the time. How quickly you get out of the brace depends on your quad strength.

Keep me informed!! I am pulling for you!!

thanks! i went to the doctor yesterday, got my immobilizer off for good, and am in a smaller brace that bends. Im still on crutches starting my 5th week post op.... but for 3 days im on 30lbs of pressure, 3 days after on 50, 3 later on 75, then on to 100-full weight. i was bummed to hear i would be on crutches for 2 more weeks, bc iv been on them now since the 5th of december. my doc said i dont have to wear a brace @ all from here on out, but i feel safer right now wearing one.

i'm set to start therapy thursday evening, im nervous cuz i know its gunna hurt. But totally willing.

PHargis your right about what you said. Prevention is KEY!!!!!!!! And everyone has been a real encouragement.

I just have looked in on this site and for the past 4 years had initiated it on this forum. There was a lot of help during that time. But the information soming out of this year's version is of high caliber that I have seen and expecially the PT help being given. This is a very high quality group of posters that has concern. However, not to get you off subject and it should not be done, finding ways to cut down on the injuries to start with could be of interest to many. It may need to be put on another thread to not disturb the interaction between those who are communicating here. The best way I can explain this is OUTSTANDING and with as many acls as I am hearing of, this thread could go on for some time. Athletic injuries are a fact of life but systemic help from Doctors such as the ones mentioned and some followup from those helping here is invaluable. This subject and care has sure improved over the years. Good luck.

well PHargis i guess you see that i started a prevention of sports injuries thread. i don't know if it will sky rocket like this one did though.

I e-mailed CoachT last January about setting up a Sports Medicine forum, but I guess he didn't like that idea or didn't think it would a lot of traffic on there. I even told him I would head it up.

I e-mailed CoachT last January about setting up a Sports Medicine forum, but I guess he didn't like that idea or didn't think it would a lot of traffic on there. I even told him I would head it up.

I can tell you it is needed and I would suggest that you help lilac3 with these two sites. His reluctance might have been someone using it that would not b e careful in saying something that might thought as a medical Doctor.. If I remember, you posted last year or the year before on Sports Injuries. I post on a lot of things. I think you are a trainer at hendersonville or Beech as I remember but I might be wrong. You did have some connection with the subject. As you have done, and she won't mind, plow right in on both sites, as you have done keep every one on subject and posters will be there and give first hand examples that are happening. Good luck and I'will look in. I just posted there and without you knowing it, explained who you might be along with other things. This is a serious subject as you alreay know.

I can tell you it is needed and I would suggest that you help lilac3 with these two sites. His reluctance might have been someone using it that would not b e careful in saying something that might thought as a medical Doctor.. If I remember, you posted last year or the year before on Sports Injuries. I post on a lot of things. I think you are a trainer at hendersonville or Beech as I remember but I might be wrong. You did have some connection with the subject. As you have done, and she won't mind, plow right in on both sites, as you have done keep every one on subject and posters will be there and give first hand examples that are happening. Good luck and I'will look in. I just posted there and without you knowing it, explained who you might be along with other things. This is a serious subject as you alreay know.

Not at Hendersonville or Beech. I'm the Athletic Trainer at JPII. I was hoping he would start a Sports Medicine forum. Maybe he will soon if enough people ask about it.

Thats good enough. Might put your credentials there it would help/

Just as an update, i started therapy last week, the first visit wasn't to bad, the shocking of my muscles was the worst part. The in home stuff they gave me to do has been pretty excruciating, tears have been shed. But its all worth it. i get to walk for the first time on saturday, im not in a brace anymore, and on one crutch. Things are looking up, the scar isn't too bad right now, still red and swollen. i have a good therapist, she's been great so far and i go back today for my 2nd visit.