ACL tears

lilc3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an update, i started therapy last week, the first visit wasn't to bad, the shocking of my muscles was the worst part. The in home stuff they gave me to do has been pretty excruciating, tears have been shed. But its all worth it. i get to walk for the first time on saturday, im not in a brace anymore, and on one crutch. Things are looking up, the scar isn't too bad right now, still red and swollen. i have a good therapist, she's been great so far and i go back today for my 2nd visit.

Hang in there, you're almost past the worst part of the rehab, at least is was with my daughter.

We are four weeks post-surgery, and her rehab is going great. She has ditched her crutches and the brace is gone also. She has little pain/stiffness and is having a hard time wondering why she can't play. She's naive.

Keep us updated with your progress, please!

Hang in there, you're almost past the worst part of the rehab, at least is was with my daughter.

We are four weeks post-surgery, and her rehab is going great. She has ditched her crutches and the brace is gone also. She has little pain/stiffness and is having a hard time wondering why she can't play. She's naive.

Keep posting and lilac3 will keep answering and telling of her progress.

Great! i'm glad to hear she's doing well. If i'm not mistaken, today is her birthday correct?

i'm havin some pain and stiffness but other than that im fine.... My trainer is concerned with my incision though. looks a lil infected. We're hoping and praying it isn't! We don't want as tom brady situation on our hands.

She's right its hard not playing. but i still cant walk with out a crutch so i guess its a lil easier for me.

Best wishes!!! i'll keep ya updated.

Does anyone know how to tell when an incision is infected??? Some of you PT's out there may know

Great! i'm glad to hear she's doing well. If i'm not mistaken, today is her birthday correct?

i'm havin some pain and stiffness but other than that im fine.... My trainer is concerned with my incision though. looks a lil infected. We're hoping and praying it isn't! We don't want as tom brady situation on our hands.

She's right its hard not playing. but i still cant walk with out a crutch so i guess its a lil easier for me.

Does anyone know how to tell when an incision is infected??? Some of you PT's out there may know

New to this thread but justed wanted to let you know I'm paraying for you! Our daughter tore her ACL and partially tore her meniscus and sprained her MCL and pressured the nerve in front of her kneecap in a scrimage two weeks before the season started. That was November 17th. Surgery was performed December 19th with hamstring used for ACL and complete repair of meniscus. Surgery went great! Started therapy on Monday, December 22nd. She is a sophmore and started on Varsity as a freshman. Played and started every game since she was six years old. This has been a very traumatic thing for her as well as my husband and I. Therapy has went very slow but to not being able to staighten or bend the knee before surgery. has made it hard to do after surgery! She is almost 8 weeks out and still has therapy 3 times a week. Her thrapist is WONDERFUL!!!! She is dealing with a lot of emotions as I am sure you are too!!! My heart breaks for her at ever ballgame, but still, she goes and supports her teammates. I wish you all the best and hope therapy goes well for you!! She was on 1 crutch and still wore her brace until 2 weeks ago. Whatever you do, don't rush!!! Listen to what your therapist and doctor tell you to do and then do it!!! If it takes a little longer than you think it should, don't worry, you want to be 100% when you go back. My daughter's stitches did not get infected, but I know someone who's did. Her incision was red and hot to the touch and was protruding from the knee. Your incison will look a little red, but I would contact my doctor ot let the therapsit look at it to be safe!!! God Bless you /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> in your recovery!!!

New to this thread but justed wanted to let you know I'm paraying for you! Our daughter tore her ACL and partially tore her meniscus and sprained her MCL and pressured the nerve in front of her kneecap in a scrimage two weeks before the season started. That was November 17th. Surgery was performed December 19th with hamstring used for ACL and complete repair of meniscus. Surgery went great! Started therapy on Monday, December 22nd. She is a sophmore and started on Varsity as a freshman. Played and started every game since she was six years old. This has been a very traumatic thing for her as well as my husband and I. Therapy has went very slow but to not being able to staighten or bend the knee before surgery. has made it hard to do after surgery! She is almost 8 weeks out and still has therapy 3 times a week. Her thrapist is WONDERFUL!!!! She is dealing with a lot of emotions as I am sure you are too!!! My heart breaks for her at ever ballgame, but still, she goes and supports her teammates. I wish you all the best and hope therapy goes well for you!! She was on 1 crutch and still wore her brace until 2 weeks ago. Whatever you do, don't rush!!! Listen to what your therapist and doctor tell you to do and then do it!!! If it takes a little longer than you think it should, don't worry, you want to be 100% when you go back. My daughter's stitches did not get infected, but I know someone who's did. Her incision was red and hot to the touch and was protruding from the knee. Your incison will look a little red, but I would contact my doctor ot let the therapsit look at it to be safe!!! God Bless you /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> in your recovery!!!

Thank you so much for your prayers unakamom. They are needed and appriciated. I'm trusting God with the emotional side of it all..... its been too much for me. But i have epace about it now. The incision is not the part causing the problems, its the area around it. thats what they're concerned about. i'm walking today for the first time by the way. And oh how exciting it is!

Thank you so much for your prayers unakamom. They are needed and appriciated. I'm trusting God with the emotional side of it all..... its been too much for me. But i have epace about it now. The incision is not the part causing the problems, its the area around it. thats what they're concerned about. i'm walking today for the first time by the way. And oh how exciting it is!

The feeling of some peace could be the communication you and some others who have just had injuries are giving this site all over the State during your recoup and rehab and "firing everyone up" as to all of your progress. Do not quit posting as peeps from all over the state either would like to compare yur progress with theirs or would like to ask questions. You are doing a very good service to this thread.

Yes, yesterday was her 16th birthday. She said that you had sent her a text. Thanks for keeping in touch with her.

She went for another checkup today, and the doc was very pleased with her progress. He backed her therapy to once a week from twice a week. He did instill in her the importance of restraint in her physical activities, which I think she will adhere (why is it that teenagers have to hear it from someone else before they will believe something you say /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ? ) !

Concerning your situation, if your PT is concerned, I would either check with your surgeon or see a family doctor, etc., and have it looked at. Don't want to put that off too long.

Unakamom, sorry for your admittance to the "club". Seems that this is pretty prevalent across the state. Best of luck to your daughter's recovery.

I am so glad you are walking!!! I hope all goes well with the incison and surronding area. My daughter's incision was red and the area around it puffy, but everything the doctor used "stitch" wise did not have to be removed, everything disolved on its own. I pray there will be no problems with yours. Your courage and strength are apparent and I am so glad you decided to share your injury with others. It has helped my daughter deal with her injury a little better knowing someone else is dealing/gone through everyhtiing she is dealing with. You are truly an inspiration and with the "Great Physician" on your side, what else could you need? Work hard in therapy (which is easier said than done) but it will definately be worth it in the end. Remember not to compare your progress with others that have the same injury as you at therapy. Remember, everyone's body responds in different ways!! My daughter had a very hard time seeing others be able to accomplish things faster than her, but repairing the meniscus completely has took her therapy in a different, slower direction. Set us back a little, but later on in life, it was the best choice for her. I hope you, my daughter and all the others mentioned in this thread are back on the court next season- Bigger, Stonger and Better than ever!!!! God Bless all those that have made this difficult situation a little easier!!!

Yes, yesterday was her 16th birthday. She said that you had sent her a text. Thanks for keeping in touch with her.

She went for another checkup today, and the doc was very pleased with her progress. He backed her therapy to once a week from twice a week. He did instill in her the importance of restraint in her physical activities, which I think she will adhere (why is it that teenagers have to hear it from someone else before they will believe something you say /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ? ) !

Concerning your situation, if your PT is concerned, I would either check with your surgeon or see a family doctor, etc., and have it looked at. Don't want to put that off too long.

Unakamom, sorry for your admittance to the "club". Seems that this is pretty prevalent across the state. Best of luck to your daughter's recovery.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I never realized how severe an injury like this was until we have gone through it with our daughter. It is a very hard thing to go through even as a parent. The thing that has been the hardest for me is not being able to "fix it" for my daughter!! I wish your daughter the best in her recovery!! Great to hear she is going to be able to go down to one day a week in therapy! We still have therapy three days a week. We went back for a check-up Tuesday and the doctor said she is not where he wanted her to be!!! Scar tissue is our problem right now. It looks like we may have to have to go back in and clean out the scar tissue but we are hoping for the best. We go back to the doctor in four weeks and he will make the decision then. Please continue to pray that God's will be done in each of our children's situation for only he truly knows what is best for them. My daughter also just turned 16 on February 7th. I think being able to drive has helped the situation a little, but I would like to ask you a question if I may? Has the basketball season but hard on your daughter? I had hoped as the season went on it would get easier for her!! Boy was I wrong!!! A lot of different emotions to deal with right now!!!! Praying the best for everyone!!

P.S. lilc3- I hope all is going well with you, haven't heard from you in a couple of days! Just know you are in my prayers!!

my daughter just completed her senior year. She missed most of her sophmore year and most of her junior year, and could not play aau for 2 years. She had 2 Acl surgeries and 2 meniscus repair surgeries over a period of two years, and she came back and played this year, and did real well. I am proud of the way she fought through the fear of reinjury, and put together a good year. This thread has been amazing and I think there have been some very good post, very imformative, and well written. I would encouarage any of you young ladies who have suffered this injury, work hard, listen to the surgeon and Physical therapist. You will get back on that floor! Thanks to Lilc3 for starting this thread, and good luck to her. I hope she has a great year next year playing basketball. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />