ACL tears

lilc3

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I never realized how severe an injury like this was until we have gone through it with our daughter. It is a very hard thing to go through even as a parent. The thing that has been the hardest for me is not being able to "fix it" for my daughter!! I wish your daughter the best in her recovery!! Great to hear she is going to be able to go down to one day a week in therapy! We still have therapy three days a week. We went back for a check-up Tuesday and the doctor said she is not where he wanted her to be!!! Scar tissue is our problem right now. It looks like we may have to have to go back in and clean out the scar tissue but we are hoping for the best. We go back to the doctor in four weeks and he will make the decision then. Please continue to pray that God's will be done in each of our children's situation for only he truly knows what is best for them. My daughter also just turned 16 on February 7th. I think being able to drive has helped the situation a little, but I would like to ask you a question if I may? Has the basketball season but hard on your daughter? I had hoped as the season went on it would get easier for her!! Boy was I wrong!!! A lot of different emotions to deal with right now!!!! Praying the best for everyone!!

P.S. lilc3- I hope all is going well with you, haven't heard from you in a couple of days! Just know you are in my prayers!!

hey unaka mom, sorry i have been sick for a few days so i havent had the chance to get on. My knee is doing great!!!! I'm walking and focusing on going without a limp. it's still very challenging in therapy, VERY! but its all for the good. thank you so much for your prayers they mean alot to me. the eletrical stimulation is the absolute worst part, well one of them=) Driving is helping me alot as it is with your daughter.

oh, about the sores on my knee, i found out it was an allergic reaction to this glue they had on there. Thank goodness it wasnt an infection as first precieved.

it's really hard emotionally right now going into tourny's... but i did get to shoot a lil bit on tuesday, just from a standing position. that felt so good. Hope your daughter is doing well ill be praying for her.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being able to drive has helped the situation a little, but I would like to ask you a question if I may? Has the basketball season but hard on your daughter? I had hoped as the season went on it would get easier for her!! Boy was I wrong!!! A lot of different emotions to deal with right now!!!! Praying the best for everyone!!

The season has been VERY hard on her, especially in close losses where she feels she could have made a difference.

Being restricted to a cheerleader on the bench is killing her. However, she has become more vocal with the team, and kind of assisting coaching by giving instructions to the post players. So, in the long run, that could actually be a positive for her, because she normally wasn't one to talk much. Since that is all she can do now, she's doing it 110% /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

Is your daughter attending practices, etc., and staying in contact with the team? That seems to help my daughter some.

Prayers for the healing of the scar tissue without further surgery.

Lilc3, I've been wondering about your possible infection. Glad that wasn't the case.

Worden55, that is encouraging news. Thanks for posting it, and I admire your daughter for going through it twice, and still wanting to play her senior season. It would have been VERY easy to hang it up after the second one and not have to worry about re-injury. I am curious as to whether it was the same knee or both knees? I can't imagine the feeling of seeing my daughter go down a second time. A dad can only take so much.

The season has been VERY hard on her, especially in close losses where she feels she could have made a difference.

Being restricted to a cheerleader on the bench is killing her. However, she has become more vocal with the team, and kind of assisting coaching by giving instructions to the post players. So, in the long run, that could actually be a positive for her, because she normally wasn't one to talk much. Since that is all she can do now, she's doing it 110% /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

Is your daughter attending practices, etc., and staying in contact with the team? That seems to help my daughter some.

Lilc3, I've been wondering about your possible infection. Glad that wasn't the case.

Worden55, that is encouraging news. Thanks for posting it, and I admire your daughter for going through it twice, and still wanting to play her senior season. It would have been VERY easy to hang it up after the second one and not have to worry about re-injury. I am curious as to whether it was the same knee or both knees? I can't imagine the feeling of seeing my daughter go down a second time. A dad can only take so much.

A lot of people and relatives thought she lost her mind. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> She just loves the game.

your right though, it effects the whole family. I think the hardest part,, is day of surgery, watching them go through it. And it just kills the good players to have to watch. Patience comes hard with youth.

She had two surgeries in each knee. She tore the acl in her right knee during aau in her freshman year, then tore her meniscus the beginning of her sophmore season. She tore the acl in her left knee the befginning of her junior year, and the following feb. she tore her meniscus during physical therapy, so she had a total of 4 surgeries. She was afraid this past November and December, but picked up confidence as it went on. She was just starting to play as her old self and the season was over, but she was thankful to have finished the season.

I know what you mean!! My daughter has had a very hard time feeling she has "let" her team down by not being able to play! Our team is going through a tough season as it is- New Coach after 7 years, loss of my daughter (who was expected to "lead" the team this year although she is just a sophmore), second ACL injury to another senior on the team which left us with 10 girls for JV and Varsity both-(WOW- right!!!!).

The doctor is giving us 4 weeks to bend the knee to 120 degrees on her own or he will have to go in and clean out the scar tissue. I pray this does not have to happen.

She does not go to practices because she has therapy three days a week, she can't fit it all in!! She does go to the games and is VERY,VERY vocal to her teammates. Unfortuantely we have finished the season at 5 and 20 I think. This is the first time I can ever remember this team ending a season with a record as bad as this!!!! This has been hard for her to deal with also!!!!

She is very close with her teammates and talks with them and hangs out with a lot of them daily! I must say, they have been great to her!!!

Thank you so much for the prayers, they are defiantely needed. I am praying for your daughter's full recovery!!

God Bless!!

hey unaka mom, sorry i have been sick for a few days so i havent had the chance to get on. My knee is doing great!!!! I'm walking and focusing on going without a limp. it's still very challenging in therapy, VERY! but its all for the good. thank you so much for your prayers they mean alot to me. the eletrical stimulation is the absolute worst part, well one of them=) Driving is helping me alot as it is with your daughter.

oh, about the sores on my knee, i found out it was an allergic reaction to this glue they had on there. Thank goodness it wasnt an infection as first precieved.

it's really hard emotionally right now going into tourny's... but i did get to shoot a lil bit on tuesday, just from a standing position. that felt so good. Hope your daughter is doing well ill be praying for her.

I'm sorry you have been sick. I hope you are feeling better. So glad to hear things are going good for you! I am so glad the sores on your knee were nothing serious!! Wonderful to hear you have been able to shoot!! I hope my daughter will take heart knowing you have already picked up a ball!!!!

Be careful and don't over due!!!

We are starting tourny's also and it is very hard for my daughter too!!! Hang in there!!!

She fell Tuesday while geting out of the shower, but the only thing hurt was her pride and behind( thank goodness)!!!!

My prayers are with you always!!

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

A lot of people and relatives thought she lost her mind. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> She just loves the game.

your right though, it effects the whole family. I think the hardest part,, is day of surgery, watching them go through it. And it just kills the good players to have to watch. Patience comes hard with youth.

She had two surgeries in each knee. She tore the acl in her right knee during aau in her freshman year, then tore her meniscus the beginning of her sophmore season. She tore the acl in her left knee the befginning of her junior year, and the following feb. she tore her meniscus during physical therapy, so she had a total of 4 surgeries. She was afraid this past November and December, but picked up confidence as it went on. She was just starting to play as her old self and the season was over, but she was thankful to have finished the season.

Thank You so much for sharing your daughter's courageous story with us!! A true inspiration to all the young ladies on this site!!! When you love the game, nothing is impossible!!! So glad to hear she was able to finish her high school career the way she wanted to!!!

Good luck to her in whatever she decides to do in her life(college I hope)!!!

Do you think everything she has went through has changed her? I feel my daughter has changed a lot in the past four months!! I just don't seem to know how to help her or make things any better! Do you have any advice since you have been through this already? My husband says we can only be there for her and help her when she asks and she has to do the rest, but as a mother, I feel helpless!!! Any ideas?! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

While I sat here and read a lot of these post, some with frustration, some with hope and some with anguish, my thoughts here have something to do with prevention and I have posted this once before and this may be better for the Middle School Parent than high school but IT IS SOMETHING TO REMEMBER. The figure of 10% at risk keeps coming up and then the figure of 30-40% reduction could be made and i will say to anyone who will listen, get a history of ACLs on Middle Schools, High Schools and AAU and Club teams you are going to be associated with and ask around those teams who had injuries of the type you are investigating. Then check the programs who are the best and ask for the programs they use to prevent ACL's, Sprains, etc, etc, etc. Three years ago I started looking around different schools as to who was having the most injuries. Some schools have more acls than others. Some Coaches have programs and seek out the latest techniques and some don't even touch it. Some schools have players with injuries sit at the end of the gym with their crutches beside them and someyou don't even see any notice of acls, sprains,etc. Some schools require very high level ankle braces to play and looking on the floor, count the number of players that have them and those who don't. The same in all sports with knee pads or any padding that would help cut down on injuries. We sometimes get all tied up with the forest when we lose sight of of a tiny tree that could make a difference one day. Stay abreast of your trainers techniques and, for sure, ask for a hand out of things asked of your athletes as far as pads, braces, exercises, etc. At times things are passed on and your athlete forgets or thinks they are infallible to everything or are superhuman form Kripton and decide not to do it and later on to find out "It was not a bad idea". Sometimes you are thougt to be meddling but sometimes even a parent knows something but GET YOUR FACTS AND SELL THEM IF YOU HAVE TO. For an athlete to get thru sports without an injury is exceptional. Have a medical bag ready with commonly used items and ask your Trainer what they should be. A quick ice pack or heat item might save some recovery time. And above all, the athlete will panic for the whole family, they don't need your help. Stay Calm. And for the second time, find a trainer, therapist that you can talk to about unusual things happening. He/she is your friend and your ahtlete's friend.

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Thank You so much for sharing your daughter's courageous story with us!! A true inspiration to all the young ladies on this site!!! When you love the game, nothing is impossible!!! So glad to hear she was able to finish her high school career the way she wanted to!!!

Good luck to her in whatever she decides to do in her life(college I hope)!!!

Do you think everything she has went through has changed her? I feel my daughter has changed a lot in the past four months!! I just don't seem to know how to help her or make things any better! Do you have any advice since you have been through this already? My husband says we can only be there for her and help her when she asks and she has to do the rest, but as a mother, I feel helpless!!! Any ideas?! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

[/quote

Your husband is right, just be there for her, but the big thing is encouagement! They get depressed and discoaraged, because it is a progress. When they get healthy to play, they still have the mental aspect to deal with. Just encoarge her as she progresses. My best to her and your family, and you will get to watch her play again, and enjoy that, because it goes fast. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

that is truely such an encouraging story. it really inspires me. Physically, im fine, but emotionally its really depressing. i try to keep myself busy if im not watching my team practice or play. i guess thats kinda helped. i'm kinda prone to cry from time to time at random times, if i see my team in a close game like someone had already mentioned, or pulling up to a gym where i used to train.

UNAKAMOM, one thing i can tell you that my parents have done that has been great is pushed me in my therapy. Trying to get that extra set of leg lifts in, or whatever it may be. and they also have been praying like crazy. And one of the biggest things is making sure i follow doc's orders. I don't know what i would have done without them through this. Encouragement is key=)

The UT Lady Vols are a perfect example. Pat Summitt-Knee injury early 70s, olympic medalist.

Kelley Jolly UT National Championships. Knee injury in high school, another in college. Coach at I believe W.Carolina

Candice Parker UT National Championships. Knee injury in high school. Now in the WNBA.

Alex Fuller UT National Championships. Knee injury in high school. More surgury in college. Still playing at UT.

Kate McMahan UT. Knee injury in High school. Still playing at UT.

There is a long list of others.

I was just thinking about Kelly Jolly. She returned to the court only 3 months aftr her surgery and had a great season. It can be done IF you work hard and be sure to do you research on the doctor and rehab place. I honestly would call UT and see who the team doctor is for Coach Pat Summit. I have heard of ppl from everywhere going to him. Good luck /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I was just thinking about Kelly Jolly. She returned to the court only 3 months aftr her surgery and had a great season. It can be done IF you work hard and be sure to do you research on the doctor and rehab place. I honestly would call UT and see who the team doctor is for Coach Pat Summit. I have heard of ppl from everywhere going to him. Good luck /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

On the surface, that would appear to be sound advice.

However, Cait McMahan had to end her career because of multiple surgeries, etc., and then Vickie Baugh tore her ACL a second time this year. So, obviously, each injury/surgery/rehab is independent of everyone elses, and there are so many variables involved with each.

I guarantee everyone of these girls would give up a LOT to be back in three months, but that just isn't possible without the risk of further injury.

On the surface, that would appear to be sound advice.

However, Cait McMahan had to end her career because of multiple surgeries, etc., and then Vickie Baugh tore her ACL a second time this year. So, obviously, each injury/surgery/rehab is independent of everyone elses, and there are so many variables involved with each.

I guarantee everyone of these girls would give up a LOT to be back in three months, but that just isn't possible without the risk of further injury.

From all I have read, and I have read tons, it takes a minimum of 4 months for the grafts to heal with the bone. Then it takes a lot of work and dedication to get the muscles around the injury back to 100%. Then on top of all that, it takes time to deal with the mental aspects of the injury. If we trip and fall ona bridge, then we are cautious everytime we see a bridge. It takes some time to overcome those kinds of fears. Patience and hard work, listen to your surgeon and pT. I would be very suspicious of of fantastic claims of unrealistic heal times. My best and heart goes out to all of you who have suffered this injury, but you will get to play again, and remeber there are no shortcuts.