ACL tears

lilc3

My 12 year old daughter tore her ACL back in March while playing AAU. Her doctor says she'll most likely play this season. She will be a 7th grader next year and she's a post (5'10). I was wondering (from anyone player or parent, who has experienced this) should we let her sit out the whole year? This a pivotal year in her development, she was going to start and I don't want her to get behind as far as development, but at the same time her mother and I want her to be 100% when she takse the court again. My thinking is she sits out the year, and gets ready for her 8th grade year by playing AAU again in the spring. Or should we let her come back when the doctor clears her. Any ideas?

well, as a player, i don't see the use in taking a full yr. The doctor isnt gunna release her til she's 100%, and you really don't get any better than 100%. Do exactly what the doctor says though! it's the key to sucsess these days. So, in my opinion, she will be 100% when the doctor releases her. anytimr sitting after that would be wasted.

I'm so sorry to hear that though. she has my prayers.

p.s. wow! 5'10" in 7th grade is promising! (i wish i was that tall at 12... or now for that matter=) )

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be just my perception, but younger players with high growth seem to be at risk more than other players and need to go thru a more careful time. Maybe the growth has not been allowed to proceed at a more normal pace. A more overriding question would be what does your doctor or PT person suggest? Before the injury, was she under the tutalage of someone with PT background to do those things to prevent injury? SOMETIMES, the AAU schedule crams a lot of games in a short period of time not allowing proper rest nor stretching, proper warming up. You can't convince me that all of these things don't contribute to an injurys with a 10-12 year old especiaolly since she may have not developed the proper techniques to get ready to play and get the proper rest. Of course,it may have happened irregardless.

It may be just my perception, but younger players with high growth seem to be at risk more than other players and need to go thru a more careful time. Maybe the growth has not been allowed to proceed at a more normal pace. A more overriding question would be what does your doctor or PT person suggest? Before the injury, was she under the tutalage of someone with PT background to do those things to prevent injury? SOMETIMES, the AAU schedule crams a lot of games in a short period of time not allowing proper rest nor stretching, proper warming up. You can't convince me that all of these things don't contribute to an injurys with a 10-12 year old especiaolly since she may have not developed the proper techniques to get ready to play and get the proper rest. Of course,it may have happened irregardless.

You're correct about the number of games they play. They played 6 games in one day at a tournament at West high School. They played in 2 different age divisions. With my daughter it's now a mind game more than anything. She keeps wondering if she'll get hurt again, or if she should just quit playing and focus on track. I've taken her to some of the AAU games just to be around her friends and I can tell she misses them and playing. I hope that motivates her to want to play again. This injury has allowed her to get some rest. Since she left 5th grade she's been going nonstop in basketball. The ironic part of this is that her mother and I were talking about shutting her down for a few weeks to take a break, get some well deserved rest, and be a kid she is 12.

• 5 months later...

This is for lilc3, I communicated with you in the spring about my daughter tearing her ACL. The surgery went well, she rehabbed all summer. Last Sunday she played in her first game since the injury. A fall league game with her middle school team at Webb and she played well (10 points and 11 rebounds). She gets swelling from time to time and she plays in a brace (which she hates). Do you wear one? Her therapist said she really didn't need it, but I was wanting a players opinion on it.

This is for lilc3, I communicated with you in the spring about my daughter tearing her ACL. The surgery went well, she rehabbed all summer. Last Sunday she played in her first game since the injury. A fall league game with her middle school team at Webb and she played well (10 points and 11 rebounds). She gets swelling from time to time and she plays in a brace (which she hates). Do you wear one? Her therapist said she really didn't need it, but I was wanting a players opinion on it.

Scott, I am a physical therapist. My daughter underwent ACL recontruction 18 months ago and is doing great. She plays (lives, breathes) soccer and tore her ACL/and did major meniscus damage (medial was repaired, 1/3 of lateral was removed) playing indoor soccer. About the brace: I am finding that most female players do great in just a neoprene sleeve. It provides proprioceptive input, but does not slide or irritate like the brace. If your orthopedic surgeon is okay with her playing without the brace (depends on what he feels when he checks the graft integrity), encourage her to start using a neoprene sleeve for drills, shooting in the driveway, etc. Maybe put on the brace for scrimmaging until she tosses it aside. She will.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott, I am a physical therapist. My daughter underwent ACL recontruction 18 months ago and is doing great. She plays (lives, breathes) soccer and tore her ACL/and did major meniscus damage (medial was repaired, 1/3 of lateral was removed) playing indoor soccer. About the brace: I am finding that most female players do great in just a neoprene sleeve. It provides proprioceptive input, but does not slide or irritate like the brace. If your orthopedic surgeon is okay with her playing without the brace (depends on what he feels when he checks the graft integrity), encourage her to start using a neoprene sleeve for drills, shooting in the driveway, etc. Maybe put on the brace for scrimmaging until she tosses it aside. She will.

Thanks for the information. I passed that on to her and she chose to wear it. I think as the the year goes on she'll get rid of it. She had a great game a couple of weeks ago against Kingston Middle at Webb's fall league.