ACL tears

lilc3

I agree with Worden. Full range of motion (depending on what was done with your lateral meniscus, you may be limited to 90degrees flexion at first). Then get your quads and hams going. The sooner you can weight bear (MD orders), the quicker your quads figure out what their job is. Have fun!!! Approach your PT like you do a game: work hard, sweat, push through discomfort, pay attention to pain, and worry only about making progress. How fast you progress is not the issue. If every 2 weeks you can look back and say your knee is better than it was 2 weeks before, you are doing fine. Hang in there!!!

sometimes while doing bending exercises i expirience hang ups in my patellar area as it seems, is that normal? it just gets hung up and is very painful.

The "hanging up" sensation should not be ignored. Tell your physical therapist. Have you been taught to do patellar mobs (mobilizations)? sometimes the catching sensation will clear up if you do your patellar mobs, especially the distal and medial ones before your knee bending exercises. Your PT can teach you how.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACL tears are very excrucating to say the least, at the point of the injury, the player often hears a pop or two.

After it happens, much instability is felt in the knee depending on the grade of the tear. if it is only partially torn, the injured person may be able to wrap it tight for the remainder of the season, but most often an ACL tear requires surgey.

There have been a handfull of very committed athletes who have torn it all the way thru and played a whole season thru much pain and risking it being injured worse, and had surgery after the season.

every athlete is different.

I have a Senior who was just diagnosed with an ACL tear. She wants to finish the season because she has not signed. The doctors want here to have the surgery on Thursday and with a good rehab will make her basketball ready by July or Aug, but all interest will be dried up by them. I feel so bad for the young lady because I don't know which one is best. If she brace it up and finish the season at 50-70% she still may not get signed and could mess up something more. On the other hand, having the surgery now will end her season, thus the end of her recruiting which could also end her career. I have been telling her to have the surgery now be ready by the summer and participate in some camps and unsigned showcases. She is a guard and slashing to the basket and getting steals is her game, the lack of a ACL will limit her strengths. Some input please!!

I have a Senior who was just diagnosed with an ACL tear. She wants to finish the season because she has not signed. The doctors want here to have the surgery on Thursday and with a good rehab will make her basketball ready by July or Aug, but all interest will be dried up by them. I feel so bad for the young lady because I don't know which one is best. If she brace it up and finish the season at 50-70% she still may not get signed and could mess up something more. On the other hand, having the surgery now will end her season, thus the end of her recruiting which could also end her career. I have been telling her to have the surgery now be ready by the summer and participate in some camps and unsigned showcases. She is a guard and slashing to the basket and getting steals is her game, the lack of a ACL will limit her strengths. Some input please!!

She could end up tearing the meniscus if the knee is unstable, and this could complicate her situation. Last year Taylor Hall of Mt. Juliet, did some rehab, was fitted with a brace and finished the season. She probably played at 70%, but her leaadership was vital to the team. That is a tough choice, but should be made considering advice of her doctor, but I would not risk further damage! They have to live with those knees long past basketball. Best to her.

She could end up tearing the meniscus if the knee is unstable, and this could complicate her situation. Last year Taylor Hall of Mt. Juliet, did some rehab, was fitted with a brace and finished the season. She probably played at 70%, but her leaadership was vital to the team. That is a tough choice, but should be made considering advice of her doctor, but I would not risk further damage! They have to live with those knees long past basketball. Best to her.

Thanks for the advice. I've talked to a couple of college coaches and a few trainers as well they all believe it would be in her best interest to go ahead with the surgery and get ready as soon as possible. Most say her chances are greater if she has the surgery now and rehab than to play.

The "hanging up" sensation should not be ignored. Tell your physical therapist. Have you been taught to do patellar mobs (mobilizations)? sometimes the catching sensation will clear up if you do your patellar mobs, especially the distal and medial ones before your knee bending exercises. Your PT can teach you how.

i actually havent done any "patellar moobilizations"... i donty know what they are.

right now all im doing is bending up and down from 90 to 0 degrees 2-3 mins 6x a day, and moving my knee cap around with my hand once a day. when i bend, it gets hung up and i cant bend it anymore unless i make it straight again and proceed.

i think the grade of the tear is significant, but if it's torn all the way thru, then surgery will definately be necsissary. there have been a handfull of athletes who have had a grade 3 tear(all the way thru) and still played, but like worden55 said, youre putting your meniscus in great danger, i tore mine when i tore my acl, and it has caused alot of complications. she can still go to some exposure camps, or even walk onto a team. it doesn't have to be the end for her.

my heart breaks for her, im in the same situation exept im a junior. best wishes.

i actually havent done any "patellar moobilizations"... i donty know what they are.

right now all im doing is bending up and down from 90 to 0 degrees 2-3 mins 6x a day, and moving my knee cap around with my hand once a day. when i bend, it gets hung up and i cant bend it anymore unless i make it straight again and proceed.

Patellar mobs are what you describe as "moving your knee cap around". Try this: Before you start the bending exercises, put a towel roll under your knee (it should be flexed about 30 degrees). using the web space between your thumb and first finger, "catch" the part of your knee cap closest to your thigh. Gently push away, gliding your knee cap toward your foot, not down into the knee joint. Take up the slack, then oscillate there for at least 30 seconds, do it 5 or 6 times. Then do the same technique, but glide your knee cap toward the inside. Do the same on your uninjured knee, so you can feel how much movement your knee cap should have. With the patellar tendon graft, the area where the graft was harvested tends to build up scar, and block your knee cap from gliding distally (toward your foot).

That is why you should do your mobs all through the day, but especially before your bending exercises.

Sorry this was so long, but it is important. Not getting your patellar "play" back early on leads to knee cap problems later.

By the way, the junior basketball player I am rehabbing now (July surgery) started full practice with the Bolivar team this week. She still checks in with me, and I am making her do extra plyometrics and jump rope, etc. She does not have any knee symptoms, but we are dealing with an uncooperative hamstring.

Patellar mobs are what you describe as "moving your knee cap around". Try this: Before you start the bending exercises, put a towel roll under your knee (it should be flexed about 30 degrees). using the web space between your thumb and first finger, "catch" the part of your knee cap closest to your thigh. Gently push away, gliding your knee cap toward your foot, not down into the knee joint. Take up the slack, then oscillate there for at least 30 seconds, do it 5 or 6 times. Then do the same technique, but glide your knee cap toward the inside. Do the same on your uninjured knee, so you can feel how much movement your knee cap should have. With the patellar tendon graft, the area where the graft was harvested tends to build up scar, and block your knee cap from gliding distally (toward your foot).

That is why you should do your mobs all through the day, but especially before your bending exercises.

Sorry this was so long, but it is important. Not getting your patellar "play" back early on leads to knee cap problems later.

By the way, the junior basketball player I am rehabbing now (July surgery) started full practice with the Bolivar team this week. She still checks in with me, and I am making her do extra plyometrics and jump rope, etc. She does not have any knee symptoms, but we are dealing with an uncooperative hamstring.

ok, i'll try that when i get home from school today. sounds good to me. you are right, it makes sense now, bc when i move my knee cap around i do feel looser when bending. ill start using your technique.

i wanna do every thing i can to get more motion there, and im excited to get to walk in less than a week.

I'm glad to hear that he jr girl you were working with now is back into full practice. how exciting!

why is she having hamstring troubles? did she have a hamstring graft?

ok, i'll try that when i get home from school today. sounds good to me. you are right, it makes sense now, bc when i move my knee cap around i do feel looser when bending. ill start using your technique.

i wanna do every thing i can to get more motion there, and im excited to get to walk in less than a week.

I'm glad to hear that he jr girl you were working with now is back into full practice. how exciting!

why is she having hamstring troubles? did she have a hamstring graft?

Good for you!! Keep it up! The hardest part is when you are feeling fine, but still limited in your activity. Blame it on tissue histology (the length of time it takes for healing to occur). About the hamstring, I am not sure why it keeps reoccurring. Her surgery was patellar tendon graft, and she did not have a really hard time getting her extension back. It was asymptomatic, then cropped up again when she joined the team for practice. We are approaching it now with making sure she gets recovery days.

Good for you!! Keep it up! The hardest part is when you are feeling fine, but still limited in your activity. Blame it on tissue histology (the length of time it takes for healing to occur). About the hamstring, I am not sure why it keeps reoccurring. Her surgery was patellar tendon graft, and she did not have a really hard time getting her extension back. It was asymptomatic, then cropped up again when she joined the team for practice. We are approaching it now with making sure she gets recovery days.

oh ok, i hope i dont have any hamstring hangups of the such. when i experience these "patellar hangups", am i at risk of retearing it? it feels so tight and tense. i have proceded with my exersises but they are getting worse. im guna call my doctor today, and ask him his opinion on it. im wondering if when i start to walk again, if i'll have a brace or not? haha i guess im just getting anxious and im always full of questions.

Follow the physical therapists instruction carefully right from the beginning, and there is no reason to develop pain on the front of your knee. The first few weeks are crucial, (and painful), but set the tone for the rest of your life, literally.

My daughter had her surgery yesterday. (patelar graft)They start PT on day 2 of post op. Seems fast to me..but I am totally trusting that this is the right approach. I do hope she transfers her "hustle" she showed for her team now to her rehab.

To the mom who said enjoy every moment they are playing....I thank you. I have gone to several games since the injury and I just can't help it. I get teared up. It seems so silly..Its only basketball. But after 10 years of games..of encouragement. of seeing how she has given her all and loves the sport, itis hard. I still recall the little 6 year old, who came to me..momma they won't give me the ball. And I said well then honey you just take it...and she did:>) I am glad that I am not abnormal in feeling this loss.

To the mom who said enjoy every moment they are playing....I thank you. I have gone to several games since the injury and I just can't help it. I get teared up. It seems so silly..Its only basketball. But after 10 years of games..of encouragement. of seeing how she has given her all and loves the sport, itis hard. I still recall the little 6 year old, who came to me..momma they won't give me the ball. And I said well then honey you just take it...and she did:>) I am glad that I am not abnormal in feeling this loss.

Actually, it was me a dad, but it's hard to tell on here sometimes.

This is a situation I wish on no other parent. I am thankful that my daughter is a sophomore, and should be ready to go next year. However, our program has been down the past few years, and this year has definitely been an improvement. We know that there have been a few close losses this year where our daughter might have made enough of an impact to get the "W", thus truly making this a season to remember. That eats at us a little.

My daughter had her surgery two weeks ago on Thursday, and started rehab the following Tuesday. Very intense is the only way I know to describe it. She has now had four sessions, and returns to the doc today for a progress report and removal of stitches. Her pain is easing a little.