Whats Happened to Pickett Co?

7asuperfan

This is really some funny posts that I have read. 7A, you do know PC basketball and the history. You sit on here and tell what every player does good and what they do bad...are you at practice? The coach starts who is the most deserving. NO ONE wants to win more than the coach.

Best comment made on here was that Phil Jackson couldn't win at PC this year...just a down year. They will continue to get better as the year goes on and mark my word they will make it to the Region and that will be a tremendous year to make the Region.

The craziest comment I have read is that Pharris is the backbone of PC basketball...now that's funny I don't care who you are!!!! He teaches one thing and that's to play hard...not smart. He does not teach the basic fundamentals of basketball. when the high school coaches get these players they have to break all kinds of bad habits and usually BAD attitudes as well.

Just like the last couple of years...with a bad junior high program...you spend the first two years of high school teaching the basics, and breaking bad habits..the players are not ready to play. These players got to play last year in games, they were not very good against other teams backups. They also played a full jv schedule.

Please stay off the boards giving you NEGATIVE opinions about players....I am sure you were not very good sometimes either

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heresyoursign.....I don't think stating that "Parris" is the backbone of the PC program is crazy. What you said about him teaching the kids to play hard is true but to say he doesn't teach the kids to play smart is just simply wrong. I am not one to come on this website and get in an argument with someone but I have to ask you what are you thinking? Anyone that has been to one practice that James Parris runs knows that he focuses on the fundamentals. Did you play for him? Did your kids play for him? Where did you come up with this expert analysis that he teaches bad habits? I would like you to give me one an example of a bad habit that he has ever passed on to his teams. As far as your bad attitudes statement I'm not going to even touch it. I think it is universally understood that when you are dealing with teenagers you??™re going to run into a bad attitude. At least that has been my experience in the world that I live in.....not sure about the world you live in!

I would bet that if you asked any high school coach that coached players after James Parris got done with them any one of them would say they were thankful that he coached them. He taught the fundamentals, teamwork, work ethic etc. All the things you need to have a good basketball squad.

I am not trying to bash you.....I just want to understand how you come with the idea that he doesn't teach the fundamentals and teaches bad habits.

Another thing that struck me about your post. You said, "Please stay off the boards giving you NEGATIVE opinions about players....I am sure you were not very good sometimes either." You may need to think about practicing what you preach.

This is really some funny posts that I have read. 7A, you do know PC basketball and the history. You sit on here and tell what every player does good and what they do bad...are you at practice? The coach starts who is the most deserving. NO ONE wants to win more than the coach.

I'm not at practice, but I am at games and I see what players have upside, and the ones who aren't gonna get better

Best comment made on here was that Phil Jackson couldn't win at PC this year...just a down year. They will continue to get better as the year goes on and mark my word they will make it to the Region and that will be a tremendous year to make the Region.

Phil Jackson comment is great, and completely true. I'd love to make region

The craziest comment I have read is that Pharris is the backbone of PC basketball...now that's funny I don't care who you are!!!! He teaches one thing and that's to play hard...not smart. He does not teach the basic fundamentals of basketball. when the high school coaches get these players they have to break all kinds of bad habits and usually BAD attitudes as well.

I think Parris was the backbone of MANY of those past pickett co programs, but I think some parts of the game have pasted him by. But if we don't have a better option, I'd rather have him than just anyone. Let's look at this, the last good PC team was last year, and that teams jr. high coach was Chip Buck, who taught them good skills and good habits.

Just like the last couple of years...with a bad junior high program...you spend the first two years of high school teaching the basics, and breaking bad habits..the players are not ready to play. These players got to play last year in games, they were not very good against other teams backups. They also played a full jv schedule.

Please stay off the boards giving you NEGATIVE opinions about players....I am sure you were not very good sometimes either.

my opinions in bold

Agreed! What is it with people attacking individual players like the earlier post bashing Jacob Brown. That was a little harsh...one thing I will agree with is he needs to step up and play if he wants to play but to attack individual abilities is a bit harsh I would think. These are high school kids, remember??

I won't say I was attacking him. I call it tough love and I'm like that with many of these players and a the ones I know personally, know that I do it for the right reasons and some of them like me being honest with them. If I was too harsh that wasn't my intention. I know many of these boys personally, I go to church with three or four of these boys, when they do good, I tell them. When they stink it up I let them know about it. I'm straight forward to a T, I don't beat around the bush. Wouldn't you rather have someone be straight forward with you instead of feeling your head with bull? I think attacking a freshman is harsh, because they are very young, learning the waters of high school basketball and life, but a senior is fixing to be out of high school, fixing to hit the real world, where no one gives you anything. Basketball is kinda the same as the real world. No one gives you anything, especially just because you have Pickett Co on your chest. Now for a bit of news, I heard from a couple of sources, that Jacob Brown walked into practice today and told them he was quitting. I heard he had til tomorrow to decide but won't be playing in tomorrow nights game either way. I hate that for him, I wish he wouldn't have been scared out their on the court, because physically he had the abilities. This may be a rumor, but I'm pretty sure the source was reliable. Anyway, good luck tomorrow night guys.

how can you bash a player who is a senior on a quality program with several veterans (by class at least) that have no experience they are one of the teams with more upper classmen in the district (not in any way a young team) that has won consistantly by large margins the past few years not have these guys better prepared with more playing time before this year. You don't become a player watching from the bench while the allstars are beating somebody by 30 and padding their stats.

how can you bash a player who is a senior on a quality program with several veterans (by class at least) that have no experience they are one of the teams with more upper classmen in the district (not in any way a young team) that has won consistantly by large margins the past few years not have these guys better prepared with more playing time before this year. You don't become a player watching from the bench while the allstars are beating somebody by 30 and padding their stats.

Several veterans? Jacob Brown and John Sells are a lot of verterans? 2 guys= a lot of verterans? I don't think so. This team would be better if they had more playing time. But PC hasn't just ran over teams by 30 points a whole lot over the last couple of years. Maybe 5 to 10 times in a two year stretch, and the second teams got to play in those games, I was at most of them. PC was winning games by 10 to 15 pts a game, and with that, you have to keep some, if not all, of your starters in til 1:30 or so. PC players weren't in padding their stats, they weren't beating too many teams by 30, so their for, most of the games where still within reach for their opponents. PC the last three years before this one, had one of the harder schedules in the single A, so their wasn't a ton of "easy" games on the schedule that you win by 30 pts. Lets look at PC's usual schedule over the last couple of years. You have your district games, which usually aren't easy and hard fought, and their is no Hermitage Springs anymore for an easy game in district. Then you look outside the regular district games, they've played Chattanooga teams consistently over the previous three years( CSAS, Grace Baptist, Temple) all tough, close games. Then PC plays four teams consistently over the last three years because of being geographical rivals (LA, York, Clinton Co, KY; and Van Buren Co.). All of those teams have been extremely good over the previous three years, and if we won the games, then it was usually by ten points or less. Their is 19 to 20 games a year, that not many of these players would have seen time in, and that doesn't include the really good teams they faced over the previous two Christmas's in tournaments. So teams have like 25 or 30 games a season I'm guessing, and 20 or so are so tough that the deep reserves don't play.

Several veterans? Jacob Brown and John Sells are a lot of verterans? 2 guys= a lot of verterans? I don't think so. This team would be better if they had more playing time. But PC hasn't just ran over teams by 30 points a whole lot over the last couple of years. Maybe 5 to 10 times in a two year stretch, and the second teams got to play in those games, I was at most of them. PC was winning games by 10 to 15 pts a game, and with that, you have to keep some, if not all, of your starters in til 1:30 or so. PC players weren't in padding their stats, they weren't beating too many teams by 30, so their for, most of the games where still within reach for their opponents. PC the last three years before this one, had one of the harder schedules in the single A, so their wasn't a ton of "easy" games on the schedule that you win by 30 pts. Lets look at PC's usual schedule over the last couple of years. You have your district games, which usually aren't easy and hard fought, and their is no Hermitage Springs anymore for an easy game in district. Then you look outside the regular district games, they've played Chattanooga teams consistently over the previous three years( CSAS, Grace Baptist, Temple) all tough, close games. Then PC plays four teams consistently over the last three years because of being geographical rivals (LA, York, Clinton Co, KY; and Van Buren Co.). All of those teams have been extremely good over the previous three years, and if we won the games, then it was usually by ten points or less. Their is 19 to 20 games a year, that not many of these players would have seen time in, and that doesn't include the really good teams they faced over the previous two Christmas's in tournaments. So teams have like 25 or 30 games a season I'm guessing, and 20 or so are so tough that the deep reserves don't play.

according to their rooster the games I saw them all 5 starters were juniors and seniors thats what I was going by and congrats to PC on their win at Van buren co and the Elder kid is a player I like a lot

according to their rooster the games I saw them all 5 starters were juniors and seniors thats what I was going by and congrats to PC on their win at Van buren co and the Elder kid is a player I like a lot

well last night they started 1 senior, 2 juniors, and 2 sophomores. Elder is gonna be a beast I think. He's tough as nails, and isn't afraid to get hit or give a few.