New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Hopefully our kickers will be better. David Phillips is returning and he's good for the short FG's and Brett Funk should be returning and he has a very big leg! Funk also isn't bad as a punter although he's not quite as good as Wilson. We will have plenty of talent at Kicker and Punter returning. The problem at Special Teams was that the coverage teams didn't practice hard and because of that they didn't play hard. I remember commenting to Barry a couple times when I went to practice that about 5 guys clearly weren't going hard and he said he knew and he got on them but they basically just shrugged him off. Hopefully the new coach will change the culture to one where guys bust their butts every day!

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turtle,

That stuff gets old. OR got rid of a coach that went 17-14 his last 3 years and was running a program into the ground that had become totally out of control under his tutelage. I guess a 55% winning percenage is acceptable? Heck, UT fires Fulmer with a 75% winning percentage and a National Championship. Just doesn't seem like he got a fair shake does it? Rightttttttttttttt

Ole Dad

A few of Knox County High Schools get out of school early on different days.. However, the teachers are slated to work their normal schedules... LAstly, any sports teams that practice on the days they get out early will practice at the normal times..

And when will OR name its coach? I can't believe Catholic coach turned it down.. But then again I do, he knows if he makes it to the Championship game his first year and not win, you fans would turn on him like yall did Stevens /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Ok, I had to throw one in there.. But for real, when will the coach be named?

A few of Knox County High Schools get out of school early on different days.. However, the teachers are slated to work their normal schedules... LAstly, any sports teams that practice on the days they get out early will practice at the normal times..

And when will OR name its coach? I can't believe Catholic coach turned it down.. But then again I do, he knows if he makes it to the Championship game his first year and not win, you fans would turn on him like yall did Stevens /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Ok, I had to throw one in there.. But for real, when will the coach be named?

Turtle, What TNBreakers is trying to say is that your guy had nothing to do with doing to the big dance.

Actually, I didn't really care about that. I was just having a little fun with you all.. I'm wondering when will the coach be named? I mean, Stevens isn't there anylonger and there's nothing else that can be said about that.. I mean, when the new coach comes in and OR continue not winning games, then what are you all going to say then? Oh I got it, "It was Stevens faught!"

But I'm still shocked Catholic coach was in the running for this job.. But considering the fact you all keep trying to lure the 2-3a coaches to your school, why didn't you look at Graham of AE, or Coatney of Fulton, or Kerr of Anderson County, or King of Kingston.... Come on give them a shot as well.

Seriously though, who's in the running to become the coach? I'm not hearing anyword on this job or the South Doyle Job and I"m interested to know..

Our punter started very well, but after that it was consistantly bad. He did punt for more yardage than the offense gained. You'll get that when you lead the conference in number of punts. We didn't make a field goal all year, but you have to get close enough to the uprights to have a legit chance. It was just bad football all the way around. Lots of room for improvement in all facets of the game.

I'm afraid we're getting started way too late to have a good season this year, we're too far behind the other teams. Some are already finished with spring practice. Our weight training is non existent. And we've lost two more of our "skill" players to Clinton. We need to get somebody in there soon. I'm not saying just anybody, but they better pick up the pace on their search efforts. How can Ricky and Jill evalutate anybody this week with three basketball games each this week.

Just one example, Maryville started weights beginning of January, they are finished with spring practice and charging full speed ahead in the weight room and agilities with over 100 kids. Cat fans, that one is going to be UGLY.

We should have had a professional search committee. The people we have on the committe are great people and great coaches, but the only thing I know of they have ever searched for is a missing sock in the locker room.

Ole Dad

Our punter started very well, but after that it was consistantly bad. He did punt for more yardage than the offense gained. You'll get that when you lead the conference in number of punts. We didn't make a field goal all year, but you have to get close enough to the uprights to have a legit chance. It was just bad football all the way around. Lots of room for improvement in all facets of the game.

I'm afraid we're getting started way too late to have a good season this year, we're too far behind the other teams. Some are already finished with spring practice. Our weight training is non existent. And we've lost two more of our "skill" players to Clinton. We need to get somebody in there soon. I'm not saying just anybody, but they better pick up the pace on their search efforts. How can Ricky and Jill evalutate anybody this week with three basketball games each this week.

Just one example, Maryville started weights beginning of January, they are finished with spring practice and charging full speed ahead in the weight room and agilities with over 100 kids. Cat fans, that one is going to be UGLY.

We should have had a professional search committee. The people we have on the committe are great people and great coaches, but the only thing I know of they have ever searched for is a missing sock in the locker room.

Ole Dad

I actually agree with you on this. I don't know who's on the search committee but there should be some kind of voice of reason on the panel in my opinion. Mullins obviously needs to be there because that's his job and I think he knows what a great football coach is. And as much respect as I have for Ricky and Jill, I just don't think they have the time to put their full selves into the process, which is what this requires. Guys like Ken Greene and Tom Bailey are good guys, but they're not all about football and I personally don't think they know enough about what kind of coach Oak Ridge needs to make an educated decision. They might have some idea that they like this and this in a candidate but what they like might not be what OR really needs.

How much HC experience did Bruce Lussier have when he took over?

Coach Lussier was Head Coach for 2 years at Halls High School, 1979 and 1980. He was also a finalist for the Oak Ridge Job in 1981 when Coach Young was hired and he was hired then as Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator, he also was a finalist for the job in 1988 when Coach Gaddis was hired. Coach Lussier is one of the best organized and smartest football man I have met. He easily qualified as a Head Coach, but I think his first love has always been defense, which he is great at. I wish he had gotten a chance at the college level as a Defensive Coordinator, I think he would have been a great one. I know when he was here, he used to exchange ideas with the defensive coordinator at Florida, a guy named Bob Stoops...does that name ring a bell. He has done a great job turning around Father Ryan, which was losing when he took over. He has secured funding for new facilities, stadium and is building a great program there. He is not only a great coach, but a great manager, one of the most organized people I have been around and he left Coach Stevens a Cadillac running with the keys in it in 2005, I wish Bruce could have coached that team, we probably would have one more trophy in the case now.

I actually agree with you on this. I don't know who's on the search committee but there should be some kind of voice of reason on the panel in my opinion. Mullins obviously needs to be there because that's his job and I think he knows what a great football coach is. And as much respect as I have for Ricky and Jill, I just don't think they have the time to put their full selves into the process, which is what this requires. Guys like Ken Greene and Tom Bailey are good guys, but they're not all about football and I personally don't think they know enough about what kind of coach Oak Ridge needs to make an educated decision. They might have some idea that they like this and this in a candidate but what they like might not be what OR really needs.

I think the Administration badly wanted to keep this committee internal, especailly after the last time when the committee was composed of mostly community people and they did a good job, only to see their recommendation overturned. This time they wanted teachers and coaches that had an idea what it was to teach and coach, and that is the good part. I am not sure who is on the committee, but they have their hands full and they should and must know this is a critical hire. I don't see how our basketball coaches have time to do this right now especially Coach Prudden, as the tournaments are here and her girls have a chance, as always, to make a real deep run. I do know that there is good retired AD and some retired football coaches that would have been good on this committee, IF they wanted to serve. Coach Mullins should be involved, he is the current AD, and I think he is making a good effort at trying to close this out now. Regardless of who is hired, there will be those who wanted someone else, and I hope they will get behind the new guy, because he too, will have his hands full trying to prepare for 2009 in a short time.

Coach Lussier was Head Coach for 2 years at Halls High School, 1979 and 1980. He was also a finalist for the Oak Ridge Job in 1981 when Coach Young was hired and he was hired then as Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator, he also was a finalist for the job in 1988 when Coach Gaddis was hired. Coach Lussier is one of the best organized and smartest football man I have met. He easily qualified as a Head Coach, but I think his first love has always been defense, which he is great at. I wish he had gotten a chance at the college level as a Defensive Coordinator, I think he would have been a great one. I know when he was here, he used to exchange ideas with the defensive coordinator at Florida, a guy named Bob Stoops...does that name ring a bell. He has done a great job turning around Father Ryan, which was losing when he took over. He has secured funding for new facilities, stadium and is building a great program there. He is not only a great coach, but a great manager, one of the most organized people I have been around and he left Coach Stevens a Cadillac running with the keys in it in 2005, I wish Bruce could have coached that team, we probably would have one more trophy in the case now.

Jack, Anyone could have coached the 2005 team to the title.