New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

I heard something similar to that a while ago, that a coach from middle TN turned down the job because he wanted to bring his whole staff with him and they said no. Didn't hear specifically who though.

This is what I am talking about. Now I don't expect anyone to come in and bring his entire staff (6-8) coaches, but our administration MUST allow a coach to bring 3-4. If they don't have the positions, then get creative. Administrations of the past would have done this for the man they wanted. Our entire school system, not just football, is a mere shell of what it once was. The sad thing is that our inept administration is in the way of turning our football program around.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it, if your choices were to coach with runtheball or move to East Tennessee you'd hop a plane, too. He's coming back...B-O-O-K I-T!!!

I could see SB hanging it up just not this year. I think he still has one or two years left in him. And on the side note, I would love to coach with runtheball and so would SS. They are good friends. If I am not mistaken it was SS's idea to bring in runtheball had he taken the job at Centennial. As it turned out SS chose SH and runtheball followed through and ended up there until moving on to the college ranks. SS would have had a better chance coming to metro after Indy than SH. He was making great strides at Indy when he left and although he has done pretty well at SH he hasnt won big yet. Time will tell if he does and if he sticks around there for a little while.

You and fieldwalker have officially hijacked the Oak Ridge thread. Bad etiquette on your first day posting.

Let's get back to talking about Oak Ridge.

Thanks. I had no idea what they were talking about, and I am not sure that they did. Unfortunately, I fear that they are both on our search committee.

This is what I am talking about. Now I don't expect anyone to come in and bring his entire staff (6-8) coaches, but our administration MUST allow a coach to bring 3-4. If they don't have the positions, then get creative. Administrations of the past would have done this for the man they wanted. Our entire school system, not just football, is a mere shell of what it once was. The sad thing is that our inept administration is in the way of turning our football program around.

No I agree with you. You can't tie a coach's hands and expect him to win championships. By the same token, you can't tell a coach that he can't pick his own staff and expect him to be interested in the job. I honestly don't know what they're thinking. One thing is for sure, and I don't care how gutless saying this is, our players won't improve if many of the same guys from the previous staff return.

Where do you buy your crack! If you think you should give the last coach anything, you must be related to him! The 2004 Riverdale team is the best team I have seen in Tennessee regardless of class. We gave them all they wanted that night, but came up short, the best team won. I cannot say that about the State Championship game the LAST coach took us to! The 2003 team, give me a break. Selfish talent does not make a team! Where did some of those guys end up? Enough said!

No not related just willing to admit that he did something that the previous coaches did not do and they had plenty of chances going all the way back to the early 90's. I agree the 2003 team(players) gave them all they wanted and had they had an O coordinator with a mind for football that would have given the ball to the horses that got him there they would have won that game and were in postion to do so.

No I agree with you. You can't tie a coach's hands and expect him to win championships. By the same token, you can't tell a coach that he can't pick his own staff and expect him to be interested in the job. I honestly don't know what they're thinking. One thing is for sure, and I don't care how gutless saying this is, our players won't improve if many of the same guys from the previous staff return.

I actually agree with YOU on this one.

I'm surprised Gilligan didn't shoot for OR.

Who is Gilligan? Who are you and the rest of the buffoons interviewing next?

If you don't think the powers that be have abandoned football at OR for basketball (spent $6M on a new gym and have spent about $6 on Blankenship in the last 10 years) then explain how 66% of the search committee is made up of OR basketball coaches? So the basketball coaches are selecting the new football coach. That has to make you feel warm and fuzzy if you love OR football.

Ole Dad

If you don't think the powers that be have abandoned football at OR for basketball (spent $6M on a new gym and have spent about $6 on Blankenship in the last 10 years) then explain how 66% of the search committee is made up of OR basketball coaches? So the basketball coaches are selecting the new football coach. That has to make you feel warm and fuzzy if you love OR football.

Ole Dad

Dad, it is odd that you have a search for a new football coach and you don't have one football person on the committee. Especially odd that it is during basketball season, like a basketball coach has nothing else to do. Very poor planning from the start but probably a personal agenda there. Sure has been slow and none of the names that we know have been interviewed are very impressive by OR standards. Hope the caretakers of the program realize how important this is to so many.

You and fieldwalker have officially hijacked the Oak Ridge thread. Bad etiquette on your first day posting.

Let's get back to talking about Oak Ridge.

No hijacking just talking about Blade, SS, and the OR vacancy which looks like isnt being filled quickly enough. I was surprised that Blade put his name in for this one, not knocking OR but Blade moved to Nashville for family. OR would be farther away. OR was once a powerful team and could be once again under the right direction. The athletes are still there and the salary in OR is more than most make elsewhere if not the most. I know teaching and coaching isnt about the money but it sure helps. Im surprised OR doesnt have more highly qualified applicants that they have jumped on.

No hijacking just talking about Blade, SS, and the OR vacancy which looks like isnt being filled quickly enough. I was surprised that Blade put his name in for this one, not knocking OR but Blade moved to Nashville for family. OR would be farther away. OR was once a powerful team and could be once again under the right direction. The athletes are still there and the salary in OR is more than most make elsewhere if not the most. I know teaching and coaching isnt about the money but it sure helps. Im surprised OR doesnt have more highly qualified applicants that they have jumped on.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Now I see how SS burning SB's bridge while cruising to metro with gilligan and runtheball over to Indy, SH, or Centennial have so much to do with Oak Ridge football. By the way, who is SS? In Oak Ridge, that means Stanton Stevens, a very key part of the situation we're in.

I think you were just distracted by the single most annoying first day poster ever.