Riverdale

Lost Old Dad

If it was all about talent, then how was Oakland 11-29 the previous 4 years? I am not going to say that we had no talent, but we had kids that believed in the coaching that was given to them and worked harder than any team in the state. It helps to have a coaching staff that holds themselves personally accountable for the way their team plays, which is more than I can say for Coach A.

As an oakland fan, I dont think you are in position to say anything for Coach A. Quote; "which is more than I can say for Coach A"

Oakland worked hard, and when their work paid off in ability levels rising, they won. They won because their level of talent and work were both high. R'Dale is missing the talent side of the equation, at least to the degree they had it several years ago. Will it return. Yes, eventually. Are the "supporters" helping or hurting that process? Its obvious. They are hurting it and delaying it.

Dang, this dead horse is being obliterated.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, it really makes no difference to me. But a weaker Riverdale makes a weaker 7-AAA all across the board.

R'Dale has a down year in a region that has produced the last three state champions and you say they make the region weaker? 7-AAA has been the strongest in the state year in and year out for what, the past 10-15 years. Oakland finally gets back to the gold ball and you want to say R'Dale is making the region weaker, when for years it is what made the region so strong and led the way by example and set the standard for others.

Come on, now. Lets be realistic.

Rip on the coach and the wing t all you want, but dont insult everything that R'Dale has made this region to be by now saying they made the region weaker this year. Thank goodness R'Dale was down this year. It opened the door for Oakland. Every team they play still pumps themselves up like no other game. There are many other teams in the region who dont and never will get that kind of anticipation and response.

R'Dale still has a great tradition and it is a great honor to play them and possibly beat them. They may have some idiot fans, but it is still a great program and will win again. Sooner if the "supporters" will either actually support their team, or just shut their mouths and keep their negativity to themselves. Much later if they keep up the crybaby griping routine.

R'Dale has a down year in a region that has produced the last three state champions and you say they make the region weaker? 7-AAA has been the strongest in the state year in and year out for what, the past 10-15 years. Oakland finally gets back to the gold ball and you want to say R'Dale is making the region weaker, when for years it is what made the region so strong and led the way by example and set the standard for others.

Come on, now. Lets be realistic.

Rip on the coach and the wing t all you want, but dont insult everything that R'Dale has made this region to be by now saying they made the region weaker this year. Thank goodness R'Dale was down this year. It opened the door for Oakland. Every team they play still pumps themselves up like no other game. There are many other teams in the region who dont and never will get that kind of anticipation and response.

R'Dale still has a great tradition and it is a great honor to play them and possibly beat them. They may have some idiot fans, but it is still a great program and will win again. Sooner if the "supporters" will either actually support their team, or just shut their mouths and keep their negativity to themselves. Much later if they keep up the crybaby griping routine.

Your reading too much into it, I merely meant it as that it only seems natural when Riverdale is at the top of the heap. Oakland opened the door for themselves..................

Your reading too much into it, I merely meant it as that it only seems natural when Riverdale is at the top of the heap. Oakland opened the door for themselves..................

With TALENT and hard work. Both halves of the equation. R'Dale, on the scale that it has had before, was missing the talent half. Only the players can truly answer for the totalness and genuineness of their effort. Regardless of what some "supporters" say, who try to lay that responsibility on someone else.

R'Dale boys...if you are reading this...how hard you work, ultimately, is on you. Do you need a coach that does it all for you and spoon feeds you everything you need to be better football players, or are you out there, manning up, doing all you can do, in addition to what the coaches provide? If you are only doing what is required of you by the coach and you only do it when the coach is around, you will not be champions again.

You are Riverdale football players. That entitles you to nothing but hard work, a chance to compete, and a piece of a great football tradition. What will your legacy be when your R'Dale playing days are over?

Work hard on your own to improve yourself, along with the things Coach A is giving you to improve you. You dont have to have the greatest God given talents to be great football players. Let Coach A bring out the football monster inside of you. If that monster isnt raging for the game, get off the field. If you are weak, get strong. If you are fat, get fit. If you are slow, either get quick, get fast, or get sneaky. If you parents or friends are badmouthing your coach, shut them up. The coach is part of your team, and if you dont go to war for him, you wont win the war on the field with him. You've got a good "general" and coach. The entire state respects his knowledge and ability. Play your hearts out for him, and show your community and parents why they should be proud of him too. And a little life lesson for you...the better you make him look, the better you will look and the better your program will look.

I have owned and still own multiple businesses. My employees that make my businesses and me look the best are the ones that get the best in return. And almost every one of them have gone on to bigger and better things than working for me. The habits and work ethic you develop during this phase of your life will be with you for most of the rest of your life. Work hard and make it count. You wont regret it.

Games only show WHY you win on the field("they won because they were faster, stronger, smarter", etc). Its everything you do before the game that shows HOW you win.

I cant believe i am saying this it is so pro riverdale/rankin

anybody that says riverdale cant compete now because talent is down well heres a story I witnessed personally.

I saw a riverdale full of mostly sophmores go into the pit several years ago and beat the number 1 undefeated senior laden Lincoln county at an oveflowing pit. Now there have been some riverdale teams that were over loaded with talent.

However there were also some teams through those years that won a lot of games on nothing but execution,playing sound defense and throwing in an unexpected play at just the right time.

That team that won at LC that night (in probably the best atmosphere i have ever seen in a hs game) would have never had a chance based on the present thnking and excuse making.

I cant believe i am saying this it is so pro riverdale/rankin

anybody that says riverdale cant compete now because talent is down well heres a story I witnessed personally.

I saw a riverdale full of mostly sophmores go into the pit several years ago and beat the number 1 undefeated senior laden Lincoln county at an oveflowing pit. Now there have been some riverdale teams that were over loaded with talent.

However there were also some teams through those years that won a lot of games on nothing but execution,playing sound defense and throwing in an unexpected play at just the right time.

That team that won at LC that night (in probably the best atmosphere i have ever seen in a hs game) would have never had a chance based on the present thnking and excuse making.

Amen

Just want to say that not EVERYONE at Oakland shares the views that some OHS posters and most of our coaches do.

I am realistic enought to admit that....

*Oakland had underclassmen that had beaten Riverdale as freshmen for the last 3 yrs and weren't intimidated by them any longer. That is a huge plus.

* We had players with EXPERIENCE. That superb line of ours had been to battle for several yrs together. Most of them started on varsity as either sophs or pulled up as freshmen. Experience can pay off HUGE especially when most of the other schools graduated SR. laden teams the year before. Battling together in the trenches for 3 yrs....no comparison.

*We won at least 4 games at the last second on controversial calls. Could have gone either way. Had we lost to CC, who knows how the season would have gone from there? We got some breaks on our side for sure.

*Beating Riverdale in week 0 added to the confidence level big-time. The new coaches planned for this game from the second that they were hired.....drilling hate into these kids' heads for the warriors and their head coach. FACT.

* We had tons of depth. Keeping fresh legs in paid off on both O and D. We never had that level of depth before.

* We were better than we got credit for last yr . We had a rookie OC and it showed. Had we hired in an experienced OC, I think we had the talent to have done pretty well....at least gone to the playoffs. Our Defense kept us from getting embarrassed.

* The administration gave this staff whatever they wanted and having that support meant volumes in raising other support from the county.

* Several former RHS boosters jumped on our train and threw down some bucks to help even more. New uniforms for one.

* Our kids bought into the enthusiasm factor that our new staff brought to the table.

* We had more experienced skill players and a GREAT kicker...not to mention the most speed in the region.

Could others have come in and done the same thing.....Yes, probably so. I guarantee that Joslin, Gaddis, Crawford, or Euverard could have won the gold as well with this group of experienced and talented players.

Did our coaches work hard? YES!

Did our players give up? NO

Did the school rally behind this team and bring back some much-needed PRIDE to the program? YES

Did our staff gel together? YES!!!!

Did this staff prove their worth? Yes

Will we repeat? I sure HOPE so!!

Just want to say that not EVERYONE at Oakland shares the views that some OHS posters and most of our coaches do.

I am realistic enought to admit that....

*Oakland had underclassmen that had beaten Riverdale as freshmen for the last 3 yrs and weren't intimidated by them any longer. That is a huge plus.

* We had players with EXPERIENCE. That superb line of ours had been to battle for several yrs together. Most of them started on varsity as either sophs or pulled up as freshmen. Experience can pay off HUGE especially when most of the other schools graduated SR. laden teams the year before. Battling together in the trenches for 3 yrs....no comparison.

*We won at least 4 games at the last second on controversial calls. Could have gone either way. Had we lost to CC, who knows how the season would have gone from there? We got some breaks on our side for sure.

*Beating Riverdale in week 0 added to the confidence level big-time. The new coaches planned for this game from the second that they were hired.....drilling hate into these kids' heads for the warriors and their head coach. FACT.

* We had tons of depth. Keeping fresh legs in paid off on both O and D. We never had that level of depth before.

* We were better than we got credit for last yr . We had a rookie OC and it showed. Had we hired in an experienced OC, I think we had the talent to have done pretty well....at least gone to the playoffs. Our Defense kept us from getting embarrassed.

* The administration gave this staff whatever they wanted and having that support meant volumes in raising other support from the county.

* Several former RHS boosters jumped on our train and threw down some bucks to help even more. New uniforms for one.

* Our kids bought into the enthusiasm factor that our new staff brought to the table.

* We had more experienced skill players and a GREAT kicker...not to mention the most speed in the region.

Could others have come in and done the same thing.....Yes, probably so. I guarantee that Joslin, Gaddis, Crawford, or Euverard could have won the gold as well with this group of experienced and talented players.

Did our coaches work hard? YES!

Did our players give up? NO

Did the school rally behind this team and bring back some much-needed PRIDE to the program? YES

Did our staff gel together? YES!!!!

Did this staff prove their worth? Yes

Will we repeat? I sure HOPE so!!

good post

good post

Great Post. I think one of the things that truely helped in Oaklands case is the fan support like 2priceless. I dont know him but from what I can tell he is a class act all the way. It is fans like him that helped support Oakland through the rough times that makes winning the gold ball again that much more special. I only wish all fans and supporters were more like him.

2P---Class act. You show everyone how to be a true fan.

Great Post. I think one of the things that truely helped in Oaklands case is the fan support like 2priceless. I dont know him but from what I can tell he is a class act all the way. It is fans like him that helped support Oakland through the rough times that makes winning the gold ball again that much more special. I only wish all fans and supporters were more like him.

2P---Class act. You show everyone how to be a true fan.

Well thank you sir! Most appreciated........... but not by all at OHS these days. I try to call them as I see them, even if it hurts.