All-State Selection

jlancaster

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's final. Should be out any time. Affiliated publishers can't publish it yet. The non-affiliated publishers will print it as soon as they get the leak. I would say tommorow. Sorry, but I must be prudent.

Here's the 5A list from the TN football coaches association site. Congratulations to all who were recognized, especially the two Brentwood Bruins, Cole and Cameron. Great job guys.

Terrence Davis

Antioch

Tanner Fine

Bearden

Zack Fleming

Dobyns-Bennett

Tausean Holmes

Millington

Will Jackson

Farragut

Cameron Mason

Brentwood

Tim McAdoo

Oakland

Graham Nichols

Franklin

Chaz Scales

Centennial

Jacques Smith

Ooltewah

Patrick Sutton

Sevier County

Cole Tischer

Brentwood

Devrin Young

Bearden

The AP poll comes out Monday for 1,2, & 3A, Tuesday for 4A and Wednesday for 5A. Which is the more valued poll...the coaches poll or the AP. I would think it difficult for the coaches to get a look at all players meanwhile the press might have a better opportunity to be objective. Actually I can see it from both sides. As well I'm sure the two lists are much different. Anyway, here is the link to the Coaches Poll. Link to the Coaches Poll

The TN Football Coaches only vote for athletes whose coaches

are a member of the TNFCA. So, the all-state selections are

very limited.

The AP poll comes out Monday for 1,2, & 3A, Tuesday for 4A and Wednesday for 5A. Which is the more valued poll...the coaches poll or the AP. I would think it difficult for the coaches to get a look at all players meanwhile the press might have a better opportunity to be objective. Actually I can see it from both sides. As well I'm sure the two lists are much different. Anyway, here is the link to the Coaches Poll. Link to the Coaches Poll

TNFCA membership is nowhere close to 95%.

They only vote on players submitted by member coaches.

Players whose coach is not a member is never nominated.

This is common knowledge in coaching circles. The TNFCA

hopes that by not nominating and voting on "all" players

that more coaches will be persuaded to join the association.

The TACA All-Star team is closer to 90% of the coaches participating.

Again, only TACA members can participate, but I think most coaches

belong to TACA. There are a few exceptions.

The writers poll is a more comprehensive list in theory because the writers

are reviewing all players, not simply players whose coaches are members

of TNFCA or TACA.

What percentage of the coaches in the state belong to TFCA? If the number is at least 95% then I would think this poll has validity.

TNFCA membership is nowhere close to 95%.

They only vote on players submitted by member coaches.

Players whose coach is not a member is never nominated.

This is common knowledge in coaching circles. The TNFCA

hopes that by not nominating and voting on "all" players

that more coaches will be persuaded to join the association.

The TACA All-Star team is closer to 90% of the coaches participating.

Again, only TACA members can participate, but I think most coaches

belong to TACA. There are a few exceptions.

The writers poll is a more comprehensive list in theory because the writers

are reviewing all players, not simply players whose coaches are members

of TNFCA or TACA.

regardless of all that...still if you look at the list alot of the players on it would make any team...regardless of who it is comprised by....those are pretty much household names who make any list regardless......sure you could add some names...but those are very solid list....I bet you really dont see alot of diiference when the names come out next week....

regardless of all that...still if you look at the list alot of the players on it would make any team...regardless of who it is comprised by....those are pretty much household names who make any list regardless......sure you could add some names...but those are very solid list....I bet you really dont see alot of diiference when the names come out next week....

The differences will be solid. The teams in Regions 1 & 2 are well representated by the NET media. A media member is at every game doing play by play evidenced by the interviewing occuring after each game and presented the next day by the participating media. I dare say any other media in the state is any less diligent in reporting their regions games...regardless of classification. The affiliated media representatives in NET are well in tune with the athletes from Gatlingurg to the Kentucky/Virginia border as a north/south boundary and then all the way to Virginia/North Carolina lines as an eastern boundary. We are the unsung regions of the state so I don't believe any one is any less represented. If that is the case...and I believe it is then the AP poll is superior in any argument to the coaches poll simply due to completeness. No one left to fall through the cracks or fly under the radar by the end of the season due to diligence on the part of the affiliated media to promote their respected regions. If the coaches poll is not 100% representative then it is conjecture...purely and simply. Period. A coach should not have to belong to an organization and pay a fee to promote his potential "All State" athletes. In this regard, it is best to let the third party...i.e. the "affiliated media" do the ground work and make the unbiased suggestions. After all, they are the ones following the respected athletes each and every week and reporting thereof as the crux of their job. As I see it, the affliated media, as such, should as well be the association to select the roster for the All-Star games. This way no one could raise a brow or question the so called politics in regard to the current selection process for the rosters. The you say, who would select the coaches? I'll leave that up to someone else. I would venture to say that if a coach is not accomidated fairly and does not have some say so in who is on his roster then it would not be as attractive to many coaches. But at least it would be fair to the athletes and a better representation of the talent displayed.

Just my view. Many will disagree but I feel given the facts that this is the only legitamate way of finalizing a career of hard work not only for the household names but also for the unsung heroes.

Does anyone know when the All-State and Regional selections are going to be made public?

DIVISION 2 All-State Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blair Arrington Davidson Academy

Marlon Brown Harding Academy

Barry Brunetti Memphis University Schoool

Sean Conway Father Ryan

Ryan Dubois SBEC

Jay Fullam McCallie

Tavarres Jefferson Ensworth

Wesley Johnson MBA

Austin Long Briarcrest

Thad McHaney Brentwood Academy

Mark Mulloy Father Ryan

Will Ricard Harding Academy