And Portland Now Has A Coach

Good luck to the new coach at PHS. I am sorry that he is having to get into a situation where he has fans that think they should have hired Quarrles, Rankin or maybe Urban Meyer. Portland is really struggling and it is going to take a while to rebuild.

Unfortunately, Panther fans are not very patient. They will expect miracles.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe with the right coaches RBS could beat Maryville (LOL!!). I sort of feel sorry for the new Portland HC. If he wants to make a name for himself as a successful head FB coach, Portland is definitely not the place to start. . .at least not for the next 5 or 6 years. Being the 3rd smallest school in large class next year is a BIG disadvantage for PHS, so it really doesn't matter who the head FB coach is. The future is BLEAK!

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see Coach Beaver fall on his feet. He is now at Station Camp and it looks like he is bringing Coach Brooks with him. Great hires by coach hollingsworth (sp?)

Yes, I was glad to read about Coach Bever's move in the Portland paper last week. I have also heard that Brooks may go as well. Is that for sure or just a rumor? Should make for an interesting rivalry between P-town and the Camp next year don't cha think?! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes, I was glad to read about Coach Bever's move in the Portland paper last week. I have also heard that Brooks may go as well. Is that for sure or just a rumor? Should make for an interesting rivalry between P-town and the Camp next year don't cha think?! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm glad that Coach Beavers took the job at SCHS. From what I heard, there were multiple head FB coaches in the Middle TN area recruiting Beavers as an assistant coach. He's a great guy with Christian values and will make a huge impact at SCHS both as a coach and as a positive role model for many SCHS students. Portland lost BIG when Beavers left PHS. I'm afraid that many of the asst. PHS FB coaches will move on somewhere else, too. Those guys were great teachers and great coaches from what I've heard from kids who played for them and had them in class. It will be impossible, in my opinion, to obtain such a great group of men who are so dedicated to PHS (since most were PHS grads from what I've been told). I don't blame those guys for moving on because there's not much talent at Portland to work with--especially when competing in the large class next year.

What a GREAT deal for the fans, players and other coaches at SCHS!! I'm thrilled Coach Bever is on board. I hated learning years ago that he had even taken the Portland job, because the talent level was down even then, and everyone knew it wasn't going to get any better. I feared they'd run him off because the fans there have way, way unrealistic ideas on how good they can be. He is a fine man, a good Christian, family man. Portland's loss is SC's gain. Is someone leaving the SC staff to create this opening, or did Coach Holly just make a dang good hire and then worry about a spot later on?

I still say it would make a great fundraiser and the new coach could spend less time at the office if they would "sell" position and playcalling decisions to the fans as they enter the stadium on Friday nights. Since the common fan knows so much.

who is all the assistants that are staying at portland. Or did anybody leave

Could this be the same Gary Sanders that was a stud lineman for the Commandos in 98?

If so, heck of a hire Portland, you got a guy that wants to win, no questioning his desire. Seems like every dang team in this new district is going to have a Hendersonville product on the coaching staff, whether it be a former coach or player.