Brentwood High VS. Brentwood Academy

BABILL

chakra20 - why would you only schedule teams you could beat? That wouldn't do a lot for your team. The reason BHS schedules them is to be ready to play the most important Region games. It worked well last year - started with a 16-14 loss to BA and ended the regular season 9-1.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from BA - I was there. I saw their team. I saw their determination and dedication and "man-sized" players. I still stand by the observation that it's about RECRUITING not about the "Legend" or anything else that made them better than BHS on Saturday Night. Carlton said it best when he summed it up to our Coach Crawford after the game by saying "we stole that game from you." He truly showed some class in that statement as did a few of the players after the game who commented about how tough BHS was versus what they anticipated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by fan11:

chakra20 - why would you only schedule teams you could beat? That wouldn't do a lot for your team. The reason BHS schedules them is to be ready to play the most important Region games. It worked well last year - started with a 16-14 loss to BA and ended the regular season 9-1.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from BA - I was there. I saw their team. I saw their determination and dedication and "man-sized" players. I still stand by the observation that it's about RECRUITING not about the "Legend" or anything else that made them better than BHS on Saturday Night. Carlton said it best when he summed it up to our Coach Crawford after the game by saying "we stole that game from you." He truly showed some class in that statement as did a few of the players after the game who commented about how tough BHS was versus what they anticipated.

I agree with you that BA should win this match up, but to just say the only reason we got beat is cause they recruit is umm childish. Brentwood Academy hand picks the players there so they should win against any team they play, but using their recruiting as a critch for your loss seems well childish.

chakra20 said ..... "Why schedule them :/ Unless u REALLY beleive u can beat them."

What do the message board participants think about that approach? That oughta toughen you up for a playoff run - huh?

By the way - BA is good (from a Bruin fan by the way) which is why we schedule them.

Posted by fan11:

chakra20 said ..... "Why schedule them :/ Unless u REALLY beleive u can beat them."

What do the message board participants think about that approach? That oughta toughen you up for a playoff run - huh?

By the way - BA is good (from a Bruin fan by the way) which is why we schedule them.

Umm i wasnt saying u SHOULDNT play them iwas sayin dont say the reason they beat you is becuse they recruit or your school will never beat them Cause the recruit. It becomes a mindset of its ok to lose CAuse THEY RECRUIT is what every kid is saying there now . That was the point of my post not whether or not it would be good for both programs.

BHS may still win the DI 5A State Title. BA is a very good team. People were concerned because they start 4 Sophomores with little game experience on the O line. They got better as the game went on, and really took control in the second half. (Steven Jones was HANDLED by Nick Forte, and there was no double teaming on pass protection.) They'll only get better as the year progresses, and so will BHS.

Posted by fan11:

one word....

RECRUITING

Wow does that get old. I wonder if the outcome were different if you would have seen anything in here about the school size or enrollment differences. My son is a BA player and noone called us or recruited him. I took a look at the administration, the teachers and the fine young men and women we met from that school. I also looked at the Mission statement which says that they are dedicated to nurturing and challenging the whole person--body, mind and spirit-- to the glory of God. I thought that was wonderful and after faithfully paying tuition (as well as my local taxes) for the last seven years, I have found that to be true and couldn't be more pleased with the school.

BHS is building a solid tradition. Leave it at that and please stop making excuses for what was a hard fought, honorable contest.

I don't think the recruiting comment came from a BHS person. We have known who is up the street for years and know their tradition. Sometimes we don't necessarily agree with how private schools get the players but that is why they are in D2. BA is a better team than they were last year and so are we! We missed too many assignments and made too many penalties at crucial times to beat a good team like BA. Having said that we feel good about the 292 yards offense on a good D with those errors. We also feel good that about a third of BA's offense came on 3 plays. Eliminate those and the early blocking/pass interference play that led to BA's field goal in the last seconds of the first half and that thing gets REAL close! BA is an excellant team that probably deserves the ranking they have. BHS is going to be O.K.!!!

By the way, it was 162 passing plus 157 rushing (the 21 yard TD by Fugate was left out of the totals). So 319 yards offense plus 85 yards penalties. That says we gained 404 on BA and gave them back the 85.

404 yards on a GREAT team like BA?? You bet BHS is going to be O.K. Cliff Taylor, one of BA's stars said he expects both teams in their respective Championship Games this year.

Flatt beat Brentwood at halftime, it's where he's best. The Eagles went away Townsend and let Holbert haul the mail. Musten came in as a blocking fullback some too.

Brentwood's Steven Jones appeared the most over-rated player on the field - if not the mid-state. Those scouts need to find Sparkman at Columbia - he's got the grades and a mean streak

Brentwood High School -- great job. You guys put up a great effort against a more talented BA team. I don't believe both teams played to their full potential (who DOES in the first game of the season?), but it was a very exciting game nonetheless, and I foresee great things for both teams. Best wishes to the Bruins for a fabulous season. I could definitely see them seriously challenging for the 5A title. Everson is great, and is a dangerous player -- as are Lifsey, Steckel, and Stephen Jones. Also impressive was David Reed on both sides of the ball. With these players and the fabulous coaching from Crawford and Steckel, BHS should contend.

In this game, however, it wasn't to be. BA was bigger, faster, and stronger. The kicking game also helped things, although Bliss didn't have one of his better games (still, punts of 50 and 54 yards were impressive). The reason for BA's depth, however, is NOT recruiting! I am a Brentwood Academy student, and I know first hand that these guys were not recruited. How do I know? Because 90% of the football team has attended BA since 6th or 7th grade. And you can't go to an elementary school to judge football talent. Texson, your words are perfectly consistent with what has happened with these players. Their parents LOVED BA's mission statement, and appreciated what it stood for, and that attracted them to Brentwood Academy. Sure, you could argue that the other 10% of the team was "recruited" if you wanted, but again, I know these people personally as well (small school, you know almost everyone), and I know their character and that of their parents -- and they CHOSE BA, BA did not CHOOSE to recruit them. Again, as I had to do on the Public/Private Board, I must assure you that unlike most of the posters on this thread, who are accusing BA of recruiting, I go to BA. I know the school better than someone who does not attend it. Don't blast BA because of perception. Experience it first. Talk to someone (like me) who goes there. If you have any other misperceptions, or doubts regarding BA's legitimacy, let me know. I'll see what I can do to comment on them.

Best wishes to BHS for a fine season, and to all of you.