STARTING WRESTLING PROGRAM

GOKAR

WE ARE STARTING A WRESTLING PROGRAM AT FRANKLIN CO.THIS YEAR. WE HAVE SUPPORT FROM PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY AND THE ATHLETIC DEPT. I AM INTERESTED IN ADVICE, SINCERE ADVICE, AS TO HOW I MAY APPROACH OTHER SCHOOLS IN MY AREA SO THAT I CAN GET SOME TYPE OF SCHEDULE SET UP.

SHOULD IT BE ONLY JUNIOR VARSITY GAMES?

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

Get a good mix of JV and Varsity events. Just because a kid wrestles in a Varsity event, doesn't mean he can't go back and wrestle JV later on. If you plan on competing in the Region tournament, you must have had six Varsity dual meet dates. Be sure to have you kids ceritfied PRIOR to Jan 15 (you would be suprised how many coaches don't understand this rule).

I hope this helps and good luck this season.

Posted by GOKAR:

WE ARE STARTING A WRESTLING PROGRAM AT FRANKLIN CO.THIS YEAR. WE HAVE SUPPORT FROM PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY AND THE ATHLETIC DEPT. I AM INTERESTED IN ADVICE, SINCERE ADVICE, AS TO HOW I MAY APPROACH OTHER SCHOOLS IN MY AREA SO THAT I CAN GET SOME TYPE OF SCHEDULE SET UP.

SHOULD IT BE ONLY JUNIOR VARSITY GAMES?

This is FANTASTIC!!! I am a Franklin Co. Alumni '88 and would have loved to have had a wrestling team while I was there. I moved down from Michigan my Junior year and had to give up the sport because no one had a team nearby.

If you are interested, I would be glad to have our JV team come out and wrestle you guys or you could come to our place. Whatever works for you.

My best recommendation is to not to try and do it all yourself. Get some people in the community involved and let them help you out. There are people in that area that have wrestling experience that would be willing to donate some time to help make Franklin Co. a great team. I know of one person in particular. My brother lives in Franklin Co. and he wrestled collegiately. I can give you more info if you want it. Call me at Smyrna High.

Most of all, don't get discouraged. Get as many kids involved and keep them involved.

Mark Gonyea

Smyrna High

2001 Region V Champions

[Edited by CoachGonyeaSHS on 8-25-02 4:35P]

Guest MCSCOTS

Get some girls involved that are truly interested in wrestling. Don't count them out because there are some out there that would take it very seriously. I am being truly sincere. I was the first girl in my high school's history to wrestle and thought it was a great experience. The only reason I don't wrestle in college is because of the differences in weight classes. But only get the ones that will take it seriously and could handle it. I know a girl from cumberland county that is hard-core. She is awesome. I wish you the best of luck, and please keep my suggestion in mind so we can get some more girls from the south interested. Good luck and God bless.

You will have some athletic talent in juniors and seniors, but they are not your future. Concentrate on sophmores and FRESHMEN.

Look strongly at your middle school feeder programs. There is your pipeline to success. Find someone in your community to work with them, develop programs there.

Lots of middle schools in the greater Nashville area wrestle in season would put you on there schedule. Chattanooga wrestles primarily after the high school season in middle school.

Spring/summer wrestling (clubs) is a short season, but a good place to build in the community.

Ask PA Bowler (booking secretary for our wrestling officials association) to send an official down to call some intrasquad matches, talk to wrestlers and parents about wrestling.

The support for you will be unlimited from your coaching peers , until you begin to whip their behinds!

Best of luck

reftn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OCTOBER 28: AM I CORRECT IN STATING THAT THIS IS THE DATE FOR THE RULES MEETING? I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANK ALL OF THOSE FOR THEIR SUGGESTIONS AND I HAVE TAKEN DOWN NAMES AND HAVE MADE SOME CALLS AND WILL PROBABLY MAKE A FEW MORE. YOU PEOPLE HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP AND I THANK YOU FOR THAT.

I WAS ABLE TO FIND TWO EXPERIENCED PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY TO HELP AS VOLUNTEER ASSISTANTS; EACH HAVE AT LEAST 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE, OR TEAM WRESTLING.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP. IF YOU STILL HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR A WAY I CAN REACH YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW. MY E-MAIL ADDY: GOKAR88@HOTMAIL.COM