MUS given national ranking trophy

WTNVol

From the Commercial Appeal:

"The Division 2-AA state-champion Memphis University School football team was presented a national ranking trophy Monday by the Army National Guard for finishing the year ranked No. 25 nationally by unapproved website, a California-based company that ranks more than 15,000 high school varsity football teams. MUS, which knocked off Brentwood Academy, 38-18, in the D2-AA state-title game in November to finish the season 13-0, is one of 30 teams nationwide being honored during the unapproved website Tour of Champions presented by the Army National Guard."

From the Commercial Appeal:

"The Division 2-AA state-champion Memphis University School football team was presented a national ranking trophy Monday by the Army National Guard for finishing the year ranked No. 25 nationally by unapproved website, a California-based company that ranks more than 15,000 high school varsity football teams. MUS, which knocked off Brentwood Academy, 38-18, in the D2-AA state-title game in November to finish the season 13-0, is one of 30 teams nationwide being honored during the unapproved website Tour of Champions presented by the Army National Guard."

This "unapproved" site is the best one the country has for a ranking system. Check their compilation poll if you want a truly accurate poll. This compilation poll combines the six major pollsters into one ranking. I think MUS is ranked #48 in that poll. Congrats on a great season!

Amazing??¦anybody else other than a private school gets nationally ranked, and people fall over themselves to run to those threads and blow sunshine up the arses of that school and its fans and say how said school ???carries the banner??? for the state and other accolades of praise, superiority, etc. Yet, put a private school in the rankings, and all you hear are the sound of crickets.

I guess a certain ???Chairman Emeritus??? has spoken outside of Knoxville and told his constituents that national rankings have now entered ???worthless??? mode and should be ignored until further notice. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Congratulations to MUS. I have always contended that, while national rankings are hard to take too seriously, they generally do a good job of isolating the top team(s) from individual states, and MUS certainly would fall into the category of ???a??? top team, if not ???the??? team, in 2008. The TSSAA's mission to put DII schools out-of-sight, out-of-mind by not televising the title games still does not diminish the fact that MUS was an excellent team this year. Just because no one was in the forest doesn't mean MUS didn't make a big noise for no one to hear.

People notice this accomplishment; most just don??™t have the class or grace to let you know it ??“ even those that have had a small taste of it themselves. My hat is off to you, however.

This "unapproved" site is the best one the country has for a ranking system. Check their compilation poll if you want a truly accurate poll. This compilation poll combines the six major pollsters into one ranking. I think MUS is ranked #48 in that poll. Congrats on a great season!

First off, congrats to MUS for their accomplishment and a great season. As far as the "unapproved website", and rankings, the power rankings/dynasty rankings are a much better guage of how a team stacks up nationally than their yearly poll, as witnessed by the major differences in the polls used. Too hard/subjective to rank thousands of schools on a one season basis when the majority never play each other. Power/dynasty rankings take into account strength of schedule which shows me a lot more than a yearly poll. Taking 2 teams for example in this years poll, #4 Cleveland St. Ignatius' and #158 Cleveland Glenville. St. Iggy's only loss was to Glenville 20-17 in week 1. Glenville's only loss was to St. Iggy in week 2 of the playoffs 8-7 in wich Iggy scored late to take the lead. Both titanic matchups in which the games could have went either way. Yet one team finishes #4 nationally, the other finishes #158. Goes to show how much stock you put in a 1 season poll. That LOADED Glenville team is easily a top 20 team nationally. P.S....if you're reading this Mr. Brown, please choose Ohio State over UT, Ga., and Oregon.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, congrats to MUS for their accomplishment and a great season. As far as the "unapproved website", and rankings, the power rankings/dynasty rankings are a much better guage of how a team stacks up nationally than their yearly poll, as witnessed by the major differences in the polls used. Too hard/subjective to rank thousands of schools on a one season basis when the majority never play each other. Power/dynasty rankings take into account strength of schedule which shows me a lot more than a yearly poll. Taking 2 teams for example in this years poll, #4 Cleveland St. Ignatius' and #158 Cleveland Glenville. St. Iggy's only loss was to Glenville 20-17 in week 1. Glenville's only loss was to St. Iggy in week 2 of the playoffs 8-7 in wich Iggy scored late to take the lead. Both titanic matchups in which the games could have went either way. Yet one team finishes #4 nationally, the other finishes #158. Goes to show how much stock you put in a 1 season poll. That LOADED Glenville team is easily a top 20 team nationally. P.S....if you're reading this Mr. Brown, please choose Ohio State over UT, Ga., and Oregon.

I agree. Glenville should've been ranked in the top 10 nationally, right behind St. Iggy's. For that matter, last year's 4-6 St. X team should actually be in the top 20 or 30 nationally because of their brutal schedule. They did beat Don Bosco, Indy Cathedral, and Prattville(three strong state champs.) The polls are getting better every year. More and more games are being played nationally every year(ie. Herbstreit Challenge in Ohio and Texas.) This is making it a lot easier to gauge these teams and compare. Also the power rankings aren't as accurate as you think. They have a strong pull towards all the Cali teams, which makes it less accurate. The Dynasty rankings are just that...dynasty rankings, not how good a particular team is that particular year. You have to go with the compilation poll to get the best average.