South Doyle

delayofgame

Clark is a competitor for sure, and once you've taken the job you better act like you want it and it sounds like that is the way you read him for now. My point is that he has been away from coaching for 6 or 7 years, been an administrator during that time, and certainly would have loved it if he could have gotten the Powell AD job a few years back. I believe he couldn't find a coach that met his criteria as the South Doyle AD so he decided to jump back in and do it himself, not as option #1 but as a last resort. Thats just my opinion of why Clark has decided to coach again, especially at SD. With that said, I believe the community and the players are very lucky to get a coach of his caliber. I think they are much more of a threat with him as their coach than they were previously. However, I will be surprised if he coachs there very long.

NOT TRUE.THE JOB WAS OFFERED AND ACCEPTED BY A COACH IN GA.IT COLLAPSED WHEN DOWNTOWN WOULD NOT PICK UP HIS INSURANCE FOR THE REST OF THIS YEAR.IT WAS ALREADY GOING TO BE A PAY CUT FOR HIM TO COME BACK TO KNOXVILLE.

AFTER BEING IN SEVERAL MEETINGS WITH CLARK AND OTHERS,I BELIEVE THE PLAYERS AND PARENTS HAVE ALREADY WELCOMED HIM.ALSO,TO DATE,103 KIDS HAVE SIGNED UP TO PLAY FOOTBALL,A HUGE INCREASE OVER THE PAST.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT TRUE.THE JOB WAS OFFERED AND ACCEPTED BY A COACH IN GA.IT COLLAPSED WHEN DOWNTOWN WOULD NOT PICK UP HIS INSURANCE FOR THE REST OF THIS YEAR.IT WAS ALREADY GOING TO BE A PAY CUT FOR HIM TO COME BACK TO KNOXVILLE.

AFTER BEING IN SEVERAL MEETINGS WITH CLARK AND OTHERS,I BELIEVE THE PLAYERS AND PARENTS HAVE ALREADY WELCOMED HIM.ALSO,TO DATE,103 KIDS HAVE SIGNED UP TO PLAY FOOTBALL,A HUGE INCREASE OVER THE PAST.

While it may be true that Clark found someone but it just didn't work out to get him here, that scenario supports my opinion that he has gotten back into coaching out of necessity, not out of desire. I'm not knocking Clark or SD or anyone for that matter. He is a very good coach, whom I personally think alot of, and I hope he does well. I think it is admirable that he would take on the responsiblities of coaching because he is responsible as AD to fill that position. Anytime a program that has been down for a while has some positive things happen, I applaud. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> Great to hear the kids and parents are welcoming him as their coach. South Doyle is very lucky to have him. Good luck this season.

While it may be true that Clark found someone but it just didn't work out to get him here, that scenario supports my opinion that he has gotten back into coaching out of necessity, not out of desire. I'm not knocking Clark or SD or anyone for that matter. He is a very good coach, whom I personally think alot of, and I hope he does well. I think it is admirable that he would take on the responsiblities of coaching because he is responsible as AD to fill that position. Anytime a program that has been down for a while has some positive things happen, I applaud. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> Great to hear the kids and parents are welcoming him as their coach. South Doyle is very lucky to have him. Good luck this season.

I think that after talking to him,I really believe it is more out of desire and some "unfinished" business.

I think that after talking to him,I really believe it is more out of desire and some "unfinished" business.

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Aside from when they play Powell, I wish him the best. I've known Coach Duncan since 1986 and played for him from 97-00 at Powell. I disagree with some of the things that he did or how he managed the program, but I think he will help South Doyle improve

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Aside from when they play Powell, I wish him the best. I've known Coach Duncan since 1986 and played for him from 97-00 at Powell. I disagree with some of the things that he did or how he managed the program, but I think he will help South Doyle improve

Not really that hard. This team can only go one way, and that's up.

Been away from these boards for a while. Nice to finally talk some SD football.

I really hope that Duncan does well. This program needs a jolt to the arm.

Now, I wasn't initially on board with the hire at first. I was kinda skeptical about it to be honest.

Then, I thought about it a little more. Duncan did take Powell to a state title game in 1991. Duncan had a lot of good success there at Powell. But, him being out of the game for 17 years does concern me a little. The game, even at the high school level has evolved by leaps and bounds. If he can adapt to the modern, post-2000's game, he'll be a pretty darn good coach for the Kees.

Now, I wasn't initially on board with the hire at first. I was kinda skeptical about it to be honest.

Then, I thought about it a little more. Duncan did take Powell to a state title game in 1991. Duncan had a lot of good success there at Powell. But, him being out of the game for 17 years does concern me a little. The game, even at the high school level has evolved by leaps and bounds. If he can adapt to the modern, post-2000's game, he'll be a pretty darn good coach for the Kees.

Being out of the game for 17 years? Clark last coached in 2002. That Powell team went 9-3, being eliminated by eventual state champion Maryville in the quarterfinals of the playoffs.

Not really that hard. This team can only go one way, and that's up.

Been away from these boards for a while. Nice to finally talk some SD football.

Only one way to go? Your teams the past two years have been 4-6, which is not great but not bad for SD if you look at their history. But that would take some intelligence, something your posts have lacked.

I've been a Powell fan my whole life and in the early 90's, Powell had some great teams, although most of the players weren't zoned to go to school at Powell. Powell was horrid when he took over though in the mid 80's and he did a nice job building the team up, but I feel like the recruiting put Powell over Austin East, Alcoa and some of the other tough AA teams back then. One big difference between his rebuilding job then and now is that when he took over at Powell, he was 28 and he is taking over at South Doyle at 50. I did find it kinda ironic how he loaded up the schedule with some weaker out of district opponents for his last two seasons at Powell. It was widely speculated that his last year at Powell would be the same year his daughter graduated.