South Doyle

delayofgame

HTV,

You have never talked about all of the instances I mentioned only about Huber. Dont be that mad at me, I even mentioned we had a player that lived in Gibbs but went to Halls.

Hello McFly - reading comprehension isn't your strongest point, is it?

Yes, prior to the current transfer rules, which is before the Federal Office of Civil Rights threatened a lawsuit forcing bussing in Knox County, transfers were rapant county wide. I addressed that, if you had actually read what I posted. Powell, along with several other Knox County high schools, had a lot of students - some athletes, some not -transfer in from other zones and a student could pretty much go where they wanted to as long as they provided their own transportation. That practice pretty much ended in the mid/late 90s when the lawsuit/agreement happened with a few exceptions as outlined in the agreement. Knox County agreed to stiffen transfer rules in return for the OCR dropping the lawsuit.

As I said, that patience thing goes both ways.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV,

Answer this and I want bother you again. How did Chavis son leave Powell and go to Central? The only point I was tring to make was you could put your house up for sell and move into another house in a different zone and play for that new school.

And my name is not McFly @%%^&*(.

One last thing, you dont tell me what to do. Now that might work at Powell or SD but not on this side of 75!

HTV,

Answer this and I want bother you again. How did Chavis son leave Powell and go to Central? The only point I was tring to make was you could put your house up for sell and move into another house in a different zone and play for that new school.

And my name is not McFly @%%^&*(.

One last thing, you dont tell me what to do. Now that might work at Powell or SD but not on this side of 75!

As I understand it the the Chavis family bought a house in Sterchi Hills, which is in the Central zone, and made the case that it was their primary home and where they lived. That was how they enrolled their son at Central and met zoning requirements.

And exactly where did I tell you what to do? Specifics, please.

• 2 weeks later...

I think coach Duncan will do a really good job at SD. I remember when SD had Kenny Harper back in I guess it was 02 and Coach Duncan was still at Powell, and there was a heck of a game between Derke Milligan's Panthers and the Harper led Cherokees. HTV, is there any chance that Stevens could join Duncan's staff at SD. I know they have had a long relationship and Stevens served as Duncan's OC for a long time until Duncan left to become AD and Stevens was promoted to HC. It will be interesting to see what Coach Duncan can do with the exceptional skill kids that SD puts on the field year in and year out, and I look for Clark to instill discipline into a program that has been missing it sorely. That week 0 game is going to be interesting for sure.

I think coach Duncan will do a really good job at SD. I remember when SD had Kenny Harper back in I guess it was 02 and Coach Duncan was still at Powell, and there was a heck of a game between Derke Milligan's Panthers and the Harper led Cherokees. HTV, is there any chance that Stevens could join Duncan's staff at SD. I know they have had a long relationship and Stevens served as Duncan's OC for a long time until Duncan left to become AD and Stevens was promoted to HC. It will be interesting to see what Coach Duncan can do with the exceptional skill kids that SD puts on the field year in and year out, and I look for Clark to instill discipline into a program that has been missing it sorely. That week 0 game is going to be interesting for sure.

At this point it doesn't look like Larry is going to get back in to teaching and coaching. I understand that he has recently started a new position in the private sector. I think that is the direction he is going.

I believe that Clark will get that program back to a very competitive level. It certainly won't hurt that they were placed in district 2 instead of districts 3 or 4. While district 2 has some good football teams, it likely won't be as tough top to bottom as will 3 and 4.

At this point it doesn't look like Larry is going to get back in to teaching and coaching. I understant that he has recently started a new position in the private sector. I think that is the direction he is going.

I believe that Clark will get that program back to a very competitive level. It certainly won't hurt that they were placed in district 2 instead of districts 3 or 4. While district 2 has some good football teams, it likely won't be as tough top to bottom as will 3 and 4.

I could understand that, and I'd heard that about Coach Stevens as well. I was just curious because I knew that coach Jeff Hunter was allowed to coach the freshman basketball team at powell without holding a teaching position (I assume because he was into teaching for so long.) I wondered if that was possible for Larry as well. You're certainly right about SD (and Powell for that matter) getting a good draw in the new re-classification, and I believe that Clark will do a great job there, although I wonder how the fan base will respond to him getting in the I and giving it to his best athlete 40 times a game. Anyway, do you know what rule allowed Coach Hunter to coach the freshman before Coach Dinkins took over that team.

I could understand that, and I'd heard that about Coach Stevens as well. I was just curious because I knew that coach Jeff Hunter was allowed to coach the freshman basketball team at powell without holding a teaching position (I assume because he was into teaching for so long.) I wondered if that was possible for Larry as well. You're certainly right about SD (and Powell for that matter) getting a good draw in the new re-classification, and I believe that Clark will do a great job there, although I wonder how the fan base will respond to him getting in the I and giving it to his best athlete 40 times a game. Anyway, do you know what rule allowed Coach Hunter to coach the freshman before Coach Dinkins took over that team.

Volunteer coaches are allowed by the TSSAA to coach, as long as they have certification. I'm not exactly sure what that certification involves. I'm sure one of the coaches who post here can explain.

The different school district administrations and even the individual school administrations have their own guidelines on volunteer coaches. Coach Hunter met all of the criteria to be able to coach. As I understand it the administration at Powell is trying to get away from volunteer coaches.

I'm sure that Larry would meet the criteria to help Clark out, but it most likely wouldn't be doable for him from a time standpoint, and especially with his just starting a new position. In talking with Clark he feels like he has a pretty good staff either already in place or committed for the new year.

I wonder how the fan base will respond to him getting in the I and giving it to his best athlete 40 times a game. .

If there best athlete can put it in the end zone more times than the opponents can, then I'll bet that the SD fans will love it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> If they can start winning then their fan base will probably grow as well.

I think Coach Duncan will be a big improvement and quickly make the SD football program more competitive. Big questions are if Clark can regain the burning desire to coach and to win for a school other than Powell, and if the SD players and parents will accept his discipline.

If there best athlete can put it in the end zone more times than the opponents can, then I'll bet that the SD fans will love it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> If they can start winning then their fan base will probably grow as well.

I think Coach Duncan will be a big improvement and quickly make the SD football program more competitive. Big questions are if Clark can regain the burning desire to coach and to win for a school other than Powell, and if the SD players and parents will accept his discipline.

Knowing Clark as well as I do, I don't think he would have taken the job if the desire to coach again wasn't there. When I spoke with him on the night he was officially named as the coach of the Cherokees he was very excited about getting back on the field. I sensed that he has really missed it.

As for parents and players accepting his discipline, they won't have any choice if they are to be a part of the team. That's a part of Clark's philosophy that isn't going to change.

Knowing Clark as well as I do, I don't think he would have taken the job if the desire to coach again wasn't there. When I spoke with him on the night he was officially named as the coach of the Cherokees he was very excited about getting back on the field. I sensed that he has really missed it.

Clark is a competitor for sure, and once you've taken the job you better act like you want it and it sounds like that is the way you read him for now. My point is that he has been away from coaching for 6 or 7 years, been an administrator during that time, and certainly would have loved it if he could have gotten the Powell AD job a few years back. I believe he couldn't find a coach that met his criteria as the South Doyle AD so he decided to jump back in and do it himself, not as option #1 but as a last resort. Thats just my opinion of why Clark has decided to coach again, especially at SD. With that said, I believe the community and the players are very lucky to get a coach of his caliber. I think they are much more of a threat with him as their coach than they were previously. However, I will be surprised if he coachs there very long.