Titans 2009 Draft needs

(I am still in a funk over the loss to the hated Ravens)

The Raven loss pointed out something to me- that the Titans need another running back to carry the load if Lendale or CJ go down. Quinton Ganther is a nice guy, but won't make any more yards than Lendale "Martha" White.

Chris Henry had better polish up his resume' and hire a headhunter to locate a job in the private sector.

A field stretcher at WR is a perennial need, but even if you draft one, it will take three years for him to develop.

Other than TJ "whose's your daddy", there are no names in this years FA class worthy of a contract.

Paul Williams #11 jersey will be assigned to someone else next year, as will Chris Davis' number. Algee Crumpler is past his days as an effective option.

Maybe a LB to be groomed to replace (eventually) Keith Bulluck?

My hope is that the Titan's land Percy Harvin- which would solve a multitude of needs. How would defenses react with CJ and Harvin on the field at the same time? You can't stretch that far.

First they have to get all of there FA signed!

Albert Haynesworth- A must the best DT in the league when fully healthy!

Rob Bironas - Again like Big AL one of the best in the league if the Titans. There are several other kickers available!

Kerry Collins - Says he will retire if not the starter the only question does he have another year like this in him?

Bo Scaife - Lock him up long term if they can.

Brandon Jones - When healthy he is a solid possesion receiver so I think they try and resign him.

Craig Hentrich - Who is a FA needs to decide if he is going to retire or not and soon so the Titans can make a move and quick on Raiders FA Shane Lechler, who is a Pro Bowl player.

Chris Carr

Chris Simms - I have heard/read that he is fully recovered and by the end of the season was throwing the ball like he did in Tampa when he was the starter before his injury. He would be a solid guy to have around for a number #2 with starting experiance if KC is not signed and VY is the starter.

Vincent Fuller

As for FA pickups!

T.J. Houshmandzadeh -WR/Bengals - I think it might be worth taking a long look at him. He is a Pro Bowl Receiver and one of the Top 8 or 10 in the league and would be better than what the Titans currently have.

Devery Henderson - WR/Saints- This guy could be a solid low cost pickup (Compared to Houshmandzadeh he can be that impact receiver the Titans need to stretch the field.

They don't need any more running backs at least any in the top 4 or 5 rds. Smash & Dash was one the best 1+2 combinations in the league this season. When Johnson got going in a game, LenDale done the same plus he was money inside 5 yards!

Here is how I think they should look per round in the draft.

#1) Receiver or Corner - If they sign a top FA like Houshmandzadeh then this goes down the board. - Nick Harper is entering his (9th yr.) The Titans need someone that be a solid backup with plans to be the starter in another year or two. Especially with Carr a FA and his cover skills is not the best if needed for more than one game or a couple of series in a game.

#2) Linebacker - Tulloch is the future at MLB but the Titans need depth and Thornton heading into his (8th yr.) and Bullock (10th yr.) isn't getting younger and probably don't have but three or four high level years left. I could also see them taking a LB in the 1st if one of the big names is still on the board!

#3) Offensive Line - The right side of the line looks good for years to come with Dave Stewart (5th yr.) & Jake Scorr (6th yr.) The left side as well with Roos (5th yr.) but Kevin Mawae will be entering his (16th yr.) There are some big named OL FA available if they don't think Eugene Amano or Leroy Harris is the future and C & G.

#4) Saftey - With Fuller a FA and Chris Hope entering his (8th yr.) see above in relation to Nick Harper.

#6) Best available / WR/ Defensive back

#7) Best available / OFF. or Def. Lineman

Last year, all the prognosticators said Tennessee needed a wide receiver.

The Titans stated they needed a "playmaker." There is a difference, and the Titans saw that CJ was a better "playmaker" than any available WR.

They still need some playmakers- at whatever position you can grab. Michael Griffin was just such a pick.

Right now, I only see Gage, Brandon Jones, and Hawkins at the WR position staying.

Titans are high on Leroy Harris and love Loper. Mike Otto might be a fall back guy if Loper leaves, but he's never really played. Don't know what Ryan Fowler's future is. The backup LB's didn't have a chance to do much this year, so if a stud is available, I see them picking that up.