3 Tennessee kids reach elite status

orangeblur

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farragut has a kid Brooks Harper that played middle linebacker for Farragut this year lead the team in tackles with over 100 as a soph and has gotten no attention at all this year. I thought he was one of the better middle linebackers in this region. Sad to see.

Let me first say congratulations to these young men. They deserve it. As far as your point, fsunoles, I agree, it's very sad. In almost all cases you need one or more of the following to get much recognition in this area regardless of ability: 1) play for Maryville or Alcoa (that's not to say some of them don't deserve attention), 2) have a dad or uncle that played for UT, or 3) have a coach with connections that really pushes for you to get attention. If you think about it long enough, you'll think of examples of "unwarranted" attention to players that fall into all of these categories while others are essentially ignored. Many of which, I might add, go on to have outstanding college careers while those showered with attention fizzle in the limelight.

Let me first say congratulations to these young men. They deserve it. As far as your point, fsunoles, I agree, it's very sad. In almost all cases you need one or more of the following to get much recognition in this area regardless of ability: 1) play for Maryville or Alcoa (that's not to say some of them don't deserve attention), 2) have a dad or uncle that played for UT, or 3) have a coach with connections that really pushes for you to get attention. If you think about it long enough, you'll think of examples of "unwarranted" attention to players that fall into all of these categories while others are essentially ignored. Many of which, I might add, go on to have outstanding college careers while those showered with attention fizzle in the limelight.

Sorry I forgot to say congraluations to three kids. I had a chance to see the kid from Bearden play this year and what a great football player. I will agree with you on this but Farragut may have one kid a year get a college to offer them something. There are some good football players at Farragut that end there football after four years in High School and I think that is sad to see.

Sorry I forgot to say congraluations to three kids. I had a chance to see the kid from Bearden play this year and what a great football player. I will agree with you on this but Farragut may have one kid a year get a college to offer them something. There are some good football players at Farragut that end there football after four years in High School and I think that is sad to see.

It is sad when players get overlooked by colleges. Heck, UT does it all the time with players in their backyard. I think it is even more sad when the local media focuses on just a few instead of really looking for the talented hs athletes. Time after time, the Friday night sports shows are so locked in that they miss mentioning the night's standouts in order to report stats, good or bad, for the "elite" few.

I would think it would be very difficult to get recognition as a Sophmore unless you play a skill position. The Farragut Linebacker played well but also played like a Sophmore at times. Devrin Young has the capability of changing the game everytime he touches the ball. That is where skill position players have a definite advantage over linemen and linebackers. Tackles alone can be a very misleading statistic, as not everyone credits tackles the same. I have seen in the KFL statistics in the KNS show 3 players from the same team credited with over 100 tackles each in a season. Now, unless your crediting pile jumpers that is almost impossible. I do believe Young has been over-hyped by some posters here, there is no doubt he will be a star in the future, especially if he can gain some size without losing speed.

I would think it would be very difficult to get recognition as a Sophmore unless you play a skill position. The Farragut Linebacker played well but also played like a Sophmore at times. Devrin Young has the capability of changing the game everytime he touches the ball. That is where skill position players have a definite advantage over linemen and linebackers. Tackles alone can be a very misleading statistic, as not everyone credits tackles the same. I have seen in the KFL statistics in the KNS show 3 players from the same team credited with over 100 tackles each in a season. Now, unless your crediting pile jumpers that is almost impossible. I do believe Young has been over-hyped by some posters here, there is no doubt he will be a star in the future, especially if he can gain some size without losing speed.

Hey starpower did you go to the last Farragut game this year and what did you think about the game and what do you think of this coming year. I would like to here what you have to say.

Yes, I went to Ooltewah for the last game. Although much better than the regular season game, I feel Farragut lacks the mental toughness to win when it counts. They don't have players that rise up when the occasion calls for it. I thought all year they did well despite having a suspect OL. I think next year they will have the same OL problems unless some players move in, or the incoming Sophmore class has some surprizes. Losing Rusty Partin will hurt from a continuity prespective, but with the skill players returning that side of the ball should be OK. Defensively they will have to re-tool almost everywhere. I wish they would make thinks tougher for the players. Maybe I'm too old school, but I think the players were soft. Unless things have changed I don't think Farragut ever puts their ones vs. ones. If they can solve their OL issues I think this will be the most potent offense Farragut has ever put on the field.

Yes, I went to Ooltewah for the last game. Although much better than the regular season game, I feel Farragut lacks the mental toughness to win when it counts. They don't have players that rise up when the occasion calls for it. I thought all year they did well despite having a suspect OL. I think next year they will have the same OL problems unless some players move in, or the incoming Sophmore class has some surprizes. Losing Rusty Partin will hurt from a continuity prespective, but with the skill players returning that side of the ball should be OK. Defensively they will have to re-tool almost everywhere. I wish they would make thinks tougher for the players. Maybe I'm too old school, but I think the players were soft. Unless things have changed I don't think Farragut ever puts their ones vs. ones. If they can solve their OL issues I think this will be the most potent offense Farragut has ever put on the field.

I agree with you on this. I like for people to be honest about things and you always are thats why I asked you this. From the coach that I heard took coach Partons place I think Farragut O-line will not miss a beat on the coaching side. I have never know Farragut ones go against each other in practice. It will be fun to see this spring.

this is ridiculous that you and noles are going on such a soapbox. THEY ARE SOPHOMORES. geez. give it time. if the guys are as good as noles states, he'll get his recognition... in a year or two! i know every fan wants to see their player in the news/paper/internet all the time, but you cant honestly expect a sophomore to get such recognition besides a blurb or two. of course there are going to be overrated and underrated players. if you really have it down to a science, make your own recruiting site. sounds like you have some sort of grudge. get over the maryville/alcoa thing.

oh, what about the kid from davidson who had one one of the highest rushing totals in the nation??!?!? he was a sophomore right?