When are coaches stepping out of their boundaries?

Guest TheAfterMath

Guest TheAfterMath

What do y'all think about coaches getting into players' personal business during the summer? Is it something they should stay out of? Example, if a coach finds out about a player doing something over the summer, should he go and start digging deeper trying to find ou whether or not it's really true, and then go "tattle" to the player's parents if it is? Or should the coach just let it be and not try to stir things up? Personally (in my opinion) I think it's none of the coach's business what a player does over the summer, and he shouldn't start being nosey trying to find these things out. What does everyone else think about this subject?

Posted by TheAfterMath:

What do y'all think about coaches getting into players' personal business during the summer? Is it something they should stay out of? Example, if a coach finds out about a player doing something over the summer, should he go and start digging deeper trying to find ou whether or not it's really true, and then go "tattle" to the player's parents if it is? Or should the coach just let it be and not try to stir things up? Personally (in my opinion) I think it's none of the coach's business what a player does over the summer, and he shouldn't start being nosey trying to find these things out. What does everyone else think about this subject?

If that is your opinion, you obviously do not know much about coaching. The coach should always do what is in the best interest of his/her players.

For what it's worth, here's my input. A coach is like a family member, and to some players like a father figure. Coaches have the daunting task of trying to make their program respectable. If a player has been found to do something illegal or in trouble somehow, one of the first things the public will say is "that coach should be ashamed to have his players doing something like that!" So, yes coaches should do everything they can to help and possibly prevent a player from making a BIG mistake down the road. We as humans should be held accountable for our actions. I'm not perfect by any means, but I try to do things that will not cause me to be suspect to negative attention. If players keep their "noses" clean, they won't need tissues to dig out the dirt. :rolleyes:

In this day and time coaches come under a great deal of pressure and are evaluated on there teams productions on and off the court. We as coaches do not go out and look for trouble, but when something comes to our attention then we must check it out. To many times coaches have turned their head from some mistakes that student-athletes have made and a larger problem has followed that s-a on in their later lives. When that happens we have done an injustice to that player, we have let them down and we have let down what sports is all about: integrity, honesty, work ethic and character.

Also, whether it is the off season or in season the coach is still over that particular program, and the reputation of the program and the school might be questioned. You are always representing your coach, your team and your school so whenever something comes to our attention it should be looked into. And finally no one player is greater than the program he represents, or the team he is apart of.

A player represents his schoool and his team from the day he enters the school until the day he dies. But most of all during the 4 years he actually attends the school. People see you just as much during the summer as they do during the school year. If you get out and get into stuff that makes you and ur school look bad, the coach is just going to try to help because of the love he has for the player and the respect he has for the school. Whether you believe it or not almost all high school athletes have someone looking up to them. You might be someones hero! You should try to be a role-model and a good example. :D

I would like to commend you people on the remarks you have made. You know what the system is all about. Even though a basketball season lasts about 4-5 months, you are a member of that team year-round. What you do reflects the team. One player doing wrong can affect a team as a whole. The coach is your second father/mother whether you like it or not. Some coaches don't worry about their teams but I greatly appreciate the ones who do.