Officials

fastbreak101

Is it not a rule that when a kid shoots the ball the defender has to give them room to land? I have been to numerous high school games and seen shooters get undercut by defenders and it is never called. Isn't this a safety problem for the kids? Could somebody please let me know the rule on this?

An airborne shooter remains an airborne shooter until he/she returns to the floor. If an official is not calling it when the airborne shooter gets "wiped out" by the box out, he is ball watching. Got to keep an eye on the shooter.

And when it is called, most of the times the player or coach say "We were just boxing out". Got to give them room to come back down.

Some years, and maybe because this site has awareness this year, acl injuries are worse than other years. Not saying that things such as this are the reason, but continuous undercuts might have some impact on such. And also do no calls either way. Officials, this year, seem to be doing a very good job but it is interesting to me that this thread is being responded to by two very knowledgable posters who seem to be seeing this very difficult call being called two different ways and another poster calling it to our attention. This site is very good at explaining misinterpreting rules and these are two of the best.

Some years, and maybe because this site has awareness this year, acl injuries are worse than other years. Not saying that things such as this are the reason, but continuous undercuts might have some impact on such. And also do no calls either way. Officials, this year, seem to be doing a very good job but it is interesting to me that this thread is being responded to by two very knowledgable posters who seem to be seeing this very difficult call being called two different ways and another poster calling it to our attention. This site is very good at explaining misinterpreting rules and these are two of the best.

I continue to have a problem with the foul call on a defender when they have both feet planted and arms extended straight up and the shooter jumps into the defender. Around here it is always a blocking foul and not a charge.

I continue to have a problem with the foul call on a defender when they have both feet planted and arms extended straight up and the shooter jumps into the defender. Around here it is always a blocking foul and not a charge.

I agree, post players are penalized for playing defense correctly, feet planted and arms straight up. Most refs make bad calls because they are out of position, or have bad angles. I saw a game last week where whistles were prolific. Bad calls both ways, and most of those calls were made by the official out of position, when the official in clear view was allowing the play to continue. I know the officials are trying their best, but some crews simply don't get it. I would be curious to see a supervisor's evaluation of the game I saw last week.

I agree, post players are penalized for playing defense correctly, feet planted and arms straight up. Most refs make bad calls because they are out of position, or have bad angles. I saw a game last week where whistles were prolific. Bad calls both ways, and most of those calls were made by the official out of position, when the official in clear view was allowing the play to continue. I know the officials are trying their best, but some crews simply don't get it. I would be curious to see a supervisor's evaluation of the game I saw last week.

I have also seen this quite a few times this year. If the defender's shoulder or arms are slightly forward, the block call is made every time. I have even seen the refs do a lurch type stand to show why they made the call. I think the refs have been a little better this year. They still get some charge/block calls wrong (IMO), but are doing much better at stopping some of the attacks that can happen when pressing. I haven't seen any injuries this year, and by this time last year, there were many! Good job refs!