9AA

junior1

Interesting year so far. Not qualified to speak about all of the teams in the district but here goes, please contribute whatever insight you've got on the teams.

Lipscomb (6-2) is doing what they do best, hustling, never quitting and listening to their coach, who always has a great plan. Saw CPA (8-1)last night against MLK and caught a glimpse of the region champs they were last year. IF they stay healthy and focused I believe they will be playing deep into March.

Please chime in the rest of 9AA.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest observation is the improvement of all the teams that were near the bottom last season. Last year, it was CPA #1, DL a close #2, and everyone else a good bit behind them. This year, with the exception of FRA and Pearl-Cohn, all the teams including East Lit., Hume-Fogg, MLK, and Ezell-Harding are much better than last year. As a CPA fan I love this because it means that we have mostly stiff competition to keep us sharp heading into the playoffs instead of a bunch of blow-outs to end the regular season like we did last year. If CPA can stay healthy and not get tired out, they should be in good shape heading into the postseason. Winning the region will be vastly important to avoid having to go to play a Bolivar team that has looked really good on paper this season.

I to am a CPA fan and certainly agree that district 9AA is much improved this year. I think when it comes the other district teams playing CPA, it really is obvious that they know this CPA team very well and know how to defend against the weapons that CPA brings. So far, we've seen the other coaches prepare their teams better than ever to play against the big three of Miller, Mason, and Anderson. Having said that, trust me when I say that it will be the 4-5-6 players that will make the difference in the post season. Lately Will Chapman has been hitting huge shots that have been game changers. Matt Zelnick and Marshall Ellson have come to play as well on given nights. If these guys continue to step up, then CPA may run the district.

The biggest concern for CPA is defensive speed. They must improve defensively to go deep in March. Offense will likely take care of itself. Most teams hurt CPA with dribble penetration that end in a mid range jump shot. That's a result of getting burned on the perimeter. If you get closer to the rim, Z is there to meet you. I challenge the rest of the team to step up and focus on "D". If you're slow in the man to man then you must play zone more often. I like the 1-3-1 or 1-2-2 zone they play occasionally. Most teams have a hard time with it. With David Anderson getting back from his injury the defense should improve.

Lispscomb is playing hard and is having a lot of success. I'd say that they have as good a shot at it as anyone. Should be exciting!!!!

Are you kiddin me? Pearl Cohn beat Ezell again? Unbelievable!

CPA probably wins this league again and the tournament. They are not great, they just have the human mismatch. They just don't have the role players they had last year but they will be there in the end.

Lipscomb has done a good job and knocked off CPA without David Anderson. They look to on a couple more collision course games with CPA.

Hume Fogg is getting the most out of what they have. Two good players and a bunch of role players. They have a shot a the #3 seed I believe. A lot better position than the 4 and 5 matchup.

MLK has Doc Shelton and the alumni team that sits on the bench with him. They also may have the best pure basketball player in Antoine Christian. They will be a tough match-up for anyone they play. Don't be suprised if they cheat the fans out of their money and hold the ball for the entire tournament.

East Lit lookd good early on but now they are getting back into their groove. They lost to Ezell. Did I mention ezell lost to Pearl Cohn? They cannot win the close ones. I think they actually work pretty hard to make the games close. The wrong way. They will priobably end up the #5 seed. That will be the best game of the first round. Them and HF or MLK.

FRA is young but they will battle. Good luck in your new league.

Ezell you lost to Pearl Cohn. Twice! They have a couple of good players but go ahead and make plans for baseball practice.

Pearl Cohn with their talent has had a great year. They beat Ezell. Twice!

This district tournament could be really good, after the first round.

Taking into account they were playing a below average talent team, I was still excited to the CPA finally look like the CPA of old last night at FRA. Anderson is still not 100% (not just the ankle, but it appeared he was fighting illness), but when he is in the game, they are a different team defensively. Mason played really hard for a change (hopefully that will continue), and Hunter Miller is just too fast for most high school defenders. The game started with CPA taking the ball away in the backcourt and scoring on FRA's first 4 possessions: 12-2 out of the gate.

CPA is still not a Top 8 team in the state, IMO, but when their top 3 players are playing well, and the role players hit a few shots, they can compete with anyone.

I would not be surprised at all to see both CPA and Lipscomb in the state tourney, but whoever wins the Region will have an easier road in the Sub-State.

I think since the 2007 season. Talent has not been coming out of 9aa.. If you look at the 2007 season you had Pearl Cohn loaded with talent since Ron slay played. Then you had MLK they were a good team and Gerald Rob. CPA was up and coming. and many more. Since that season the district has not been fun to watch. The talent overall is not there anymore, and instead of a five team race like 2007, It is really a one team race

I think since the 2007 season. Talent has not been coming out of 9aa.. If you look at the 2007 season you had Pearl Cohn loaded with talent since Ron slay played. Then you had MLK they were a good team and Gerald Rob. CPA was up and coming. and many more. Since that season the district has not been fun to watch. The talent overall is not there anymore, and instead of a five team race like 2007, It is really a one team race

Not a one team race, but two - CPA and DL. Looking at the entire state, there is a lot of strength in the west and Knoxville. There are really not teams at the level of CPA and DL in Region 5.

Both CPA and DL can reasonably advance to the substate. District 10 is not that strong, so I believe CPA and DL can end up 1,2 in the Region, and could both win a substate game if they play well. The hard road will be whoever plays Bolivar in the Substate.

Long shot for both CPA and DL to make state, but I think one will.