9AA

junior1

Before we start this year's second season, i would like to tell my CPA bretheren good luck. I am a DL parent, but i want to express my appreciation to your senior class (as well as our senior class) who have had 4 awesome years of basketball. I fully expect that the finals of the District will be between us. I fully expect the Region finals to be between us and i really hope that both teams go to Murfreesboro. I think these two teams, although different, both represent all that is right with High School basketball. I have been friends with Mike Ellson for a long time and I really appreciate the program that he has built over there. Thanks for the ride guys....it would be fine with me if you finish 2nd in state this year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPA showed up big tonight, playing unarguably their best game of the season beating FRA by 47. I say that not because the of margin of victory, but because of their incredible energy and relentless attack, something that they have been lacking in recent weeks. CPA had 11 players score, with big contributions by Corbin Taylor who had 14 with four 3's, and a number of other players who were active scoring and and on the defensive end. This is what they need to be successful here on out, as opposed to last Friday vs. East Lit. when only 3 players scored in a victory. CPA has only occasionally looked like last year's state team this year, but their performance tonight helped to wipe away some worries of disappointing performances the last few weeks. Despite playing a sub-par opponent, this has to be huge for CPA's confidence and momentum heading into the rest of the tournament. CPA has struggled often this season finishing games the way they like, too often making close games out of what should be blow-outs, but tonight they won all 4 quarters with the starters only playing 2 or 3 minutes of the second half, and sitting half of the 2nd quarter. CPA will play Hume-Fogg this Friday at Ezell-Harding, and will look to avenge last Tuesday's collapse against HF. HF is a very good team, but I like CPA's chances in this one with their seemingly new found energy and killer mentality. If they can keep that up and stay motivated, they should have a good run in the playoffs. The CPA team, especially the seniors, know that nothing thats happened this season matters anymore, and that it's now or never for them to start playing like they know they are capable of, and boy did they have fun doing that tonight.

By the way, Z Mason had the best dunk tonight that I've ever seen in person. I was in awe /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Box score: http://www.highschoolsports.net/Stats/Game...s_id=tennessean

CPA showed up big tonight, playing unarguably their best game of the season beating FRA by 47. I say that not because the of margin of victory, but because of their incredible energy and relentless attack, something that they have been lacking in recent weeks. CPA had 11 players score, with big contributions by Corbin Taylor who had 14 with four 3's, and a number of other players who were active scoring and and on the defensive end. This is what they need to be successful here on out, as opposed to last Friday vs. East Lit. when only 3 players scored in a victory. CPA has only occasionally looked like last year's state team this year, but their performance tonight helped to wipe away some worries of disappointing performances the last few weeks. Despite playing a sub-par opponent, this has to be huge for CPA's confidence and momentum heading into the rest of the tournament. CPA has struggled often this season finishing games the way they like, too often making close games out of what should be blow-outs, but tonight they won all 4 quarters with the starters only playing 2 or 3 minutes of the second half, and sitting half of the 2nd quarter. CPA will play Hume-Fogg this Friday at Ezell-Harding, and will look to avenge last Tuesday's collapse against HF. HF is a very good team, but I like CPA's chances in this one with their seemingly new found energy and killer mentality. If they can keep that up and stay motivated, they should have a good run in the playoffs. The CPA team, especially the seniors, know that nothing thats happened this season matters anymore, and that it's now or never for them to start playing like they know they are capable of, and boy did they have fun doing that tonight.

By the way, Z Mason had the best dunk tonight that I've ever seen in person. I was in awe /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Box score: http://www.highschoolsports.net/Stats/Game...s_id=tennessean

It's not exactly hard to have that many people score when CPA is already up by 30 and jacking threes. CPA played very well last night, but they have been inconsistent in the past, no doubt about that. Let's not act like everyone else out there does not have the same "energy and killer mentality." CPA is not the only place that wants to win.

Let's not act like everyone else out there does not have the same "energy and killer mentality." CPA is not the only place that wants to win.

That was not stated or remotely insinuated. Hume-Fogg obviously had both last week when they came back in the 4th quarter to beat CPA. Like I said, it is something that CPA has lacked for much of this season.

It's not exactly hard to have that many people score when CPA is already up by 30 and jacking threes. CPA played very well last night, but they have been inconsistent in the past, no doubt about that. Let's not act like everyone else out there does not have the same "energy and killer mentality." CPA is not the only place that wants to win.

Ya thank FRA coach will get Coach of the year thie year?

That was not stated or remotely insinuated. Hume-Fogg obviously had both last week when they came back in the 4th quarter to beat CPA. Like I said, it is something that CPA has lacked for much of this season.

I figured that CPA would show up for the tournament. The seniors Miller, Anderson, and Mason will not go without a serious fight. It's going to take more than streaky 3s to go deep into the post season though. The 4 and 5 positions for CPA are still a huge question mark. They must play better defensively. This year CPA has played best when in a half court trapping zone. The main players don't really play this way, the zone slows the game down which doesn't favor CPA. They're best when they run and score in transition. That's why you haven't seen as many blow outs this season.

I figured that CPA would show up for the tournament. The seniors Miller, Anderson, and Mason will not go without a serious fight. It's going to take more than streaky 3s to go deep into the post season though. The 4 and 5 positions for CPA are still a huge question mark. They must play better defensively. This year CPA has played best when in a half court trapping zone. The main players don't really play this way, the zone slows the game down which doesn't favor CPA. They're best when they run and score in transition. That's why you haven't seen as many blow outs this season.

I think CPA is just fine at the 5 position offensively and defensively with Z Mason, he has been a terror around the basket blocking shots the last few games. You are correct though that a weak link in CPA's team is the 4 position, lacking someone with both size and athleticism like they had last year with Kyle Reeves and Jake Peterson. Matt Zelenik is big and has possibly the best shot on the team, but has struggled at times defensively staying with more athletic 4 men because of his speed. Marshall Ellson is a very good role player who rarely takes a shot, but has come up huge with hustle plays and offensive rebounds, even though his size is much more suited to play the 2 or 3 spot rather than the 4. I assume that a rotation of players at the 4 spot, largely based on match-ups, will suffice as CPA moves through the tournament. You are correct that CPA looks good when they are running in transition against 9AA teams, but you must remember that the further you get into the playoffs, especially state (i.e. Dyer Co.), the teams are much faster and more athletic than what CPA is used to seeing, and CPA will need to slow the pace of the game rather than speed it up to put the chances in their favor.

Ya thank FRA coach will get Coach of the year thie year?

I would assume no, but crazier things have happened when an award is given by rival competitors...

It is voted by only the other coaches in the district correct? In that case, it will probably go to whoever the other coaches dislike the least, given that his team has had at least a decent season. In the past it's seemed to be more of a "most improved team award" rather than a team success award like I believe it should. If that is still the case, East Lit.'s coach has a great chance, but I have no idea. Could go to Shelton, Maddux, HF's coach (don't know his name), or McPherson as well. The award SHOULD go to either Maddux or McPherson IMO.

I think CPA is just fine at the 5 position offensively and defensively with Z Mason, he has been a terror around the basket blocking shots the last few games. You are correct though that a weak link in CPA's team is the 4 position, lacking someone with both size and athleticism like they had last year with Kyle Reeves and Jake Peterson. Matt Zelenik is big and has possibly the best shot on the team, but has struggled at times defensively staying with more athletic 4 men because of his speed. Marshall Ellson is a very good role player who rarely takes a shot, but has come up huge with hustle plays and offensive rebounds, even though his size is much more suited to play the 2 or 3 spot rather than the 4. I assume that a rotation of players at the 4 spot, largely based on match-ups, will suffice as CPA moves through the tournament. You are correct that CPA looks good when they are running in transition against 9AA teams, but you must remember that the further you get into the playoffs, especially state (i.e. Dyer Co.), the teams are much faster and more athletic than what CPA is used to seeing, and CPA will need to slow the pace of the game rather than speed it up to put the chances in their favor.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. By the 4 & 5-- I was refering to the positions after Miller, Mason, and Anderson. So far, the next three to four players on the team lack some of the ingredients to go deep in the post season. Granted, they have made some big shots and hustle plays on occasion but the lack of rebounding and defensive containment in these postions has hurt CPA. Again, you can't deny that they have made some big shots in a few games....which helps as they don't get many looks.

CPA playing the trapping zone is a good thing at this point. I think you're absolutely right about needing to slow the game down if CPA gets to see a Dyer County type team. I wouldn't expect many teams could run the floor with them. I still think CPA will make a run at the BORO.

I would assume no, but crazier things have happened when an award is given by rival competitors...

It is voted by only the other coaches in the district correct? In that case, it will probably go to whoever the other coaches dislike the least, given that his team has had at least a decent season. In the past it's seemed to be more of a "most improved team award" rather than a team success award like I believe it should. If that is still the case, East Lit.'s coach has a great chance, but I have no idea. Could go to Shelton, Maddux, HF's coach (don't know his name), or McPherson as well. The award SHOULD go to either Maddux or McPherson IMO.

I could see it going to HF's coach (Harden is the name or something of that nature) if emotions play into the vote since it is his last year coachign there after I think 19 years, plus he has done a good job there. Not saying it will go there, just that I could see the reasoning for it if it happened.

Thanks HerdFan, feel exactly the same way about DLHS, the players, fans and especially the coach. Looking forward to a great final four in the district. Would love to see a CPA/DLHS classic championship game but this year it's anybody's guess. Having said that, I do think CPA will more than avenge their loss to HF last week and I see DLHS beating MLK. We'll see come Friday.