9AA

junior1

I'll give everyone something to comment on. We just finished up with MLK. They kicked our butts tonight. Now we have played everyone in the district. I believe that Antoine Christian is the best pure basketball player in our district. Mason is the toughest matchup and Miller is a tremendous shooter. What do all of you guys think?

Agreed. Christian is a great ballplayer. Mason isn't so much a great basketball player, i mean he is obviously above most of the players in the district, but his size and strength are so much more than anyone else that he overpowers everyone in the district. Miller is too quick for pretty much every defender, and he's going to hit shots whether you're in his face or not.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how any team could beat CPA if CPA played their diamond/one full court press defense, then a zone on the half court. A team would have to hit 1/2 their 3's to beat CPA playing a zone (assuming Z played defense hard). With CPA in a zone, it is too hard to get a quality shot or rebound in the paint against them.

A 1-3-1 with Z under the basket and Anderson crashing the boards on every shot would force a team to hit outside shots.

Just my opinion based on watching them the last 3 years. They seem to struggle this year when they play man-to-man against a quick offense.

This is exactly right. CPA must stay in a full or half court 1-3-1 zone to beat the quicker teams. They are SLOWER than they should be in the 4, 5, & 6 slots. Don't understand it though. Smaller is usually quicker.

CPA must have mentally overlooked Ezel Harding last night. But even if they didn't, turnovers and missed free throws will be any teams undoing. Trouble for CPA is that everyone knows them. They need some surprises to step up. I understand Corbin Taylor was that "surprise" last night.

I don't see how any team could beat CPA if CPA played their diamond/one full court press defense, then a zone on the half court. A team would have to hit 1/2 their 3's to beat CPA playing a zone (assuming Z played defense hard). With CPA in a zone, it is too hard to get a quality shot or rebound in the paint against them.

A 1-3-1 with Z under the basket and Anderson crashing the boards on every shot would force a team to hit outside shots.

Just my opinion based on watching them the last 3 years. They seem to struggle this year when they play man-to-man against a quick offense.

Anderson was held to only 3 last night...it made a huge difference. Chapman had 9 and Taylor had 6, all at very critical points in the game. Miller played well but I can't remember how many points he had, something around 20.

I agree that CPA and DL will advance from this region, and this was not supposed to be a 'basketball year' for DL. Despite some injuries and adversity, DL seems to keep on battling with a deep bench and big team. The one thing CPA has going is their core 5, I think DL substitutes too much. They need to let their starters get in a rythym, and play the majority of the game. DL's coach seems to get frustrated and sit the entire starting line-up. Mind you, there is plenty of talent deep on the bench, but let the starters get their mojo, and they can beat anyone. Substitute one at a time versus the entire line-up???? I am actually looking forward to watching Sanderson become the leader next year. What a player!!

Webb looks to be getting his stride back despite the head gear. Simpson is great at point, but needs to keep the team settled down a little more. Hudson, Hunt, and Andrews are all good in the paint for different reasons. Hudson has the size and is the better rebounder, Hunt can spin, drive, and jump! Andrews can shoot outside as good as a point guard. Such a dynamic bunch of players! Lots of talent, just need good game coaching.

CPA has the tripple threat. Z, Mason, and Anderson. Dynamic trio. They are a thrill to watch, and they rarely (if ever) make mistakes. I don't see anyone taking their throne.

I agree that the entire district has improved (especially East Lit)!! Sad this district will be drastically changed next year. Can you smell an even bigger rivalry between CPA and DL in the years ahead?? I can! Oughta be fun!!

Good luck to all, and good job to 9AA for making it a dog fight everynight!!

Because nobody wants to take their life into their hands going to and from their gym.

I have been over there the past 4 yrs - never had a problem - and best hot wings for the $$ - do wonder where all the parking is? Only place I have seen to park is the circle drive up to the bldg/gym

We definitely need to step up the defense! Defense wins ballgames! Our offense is hard to beat, but our WHOLE team doesn't seem to want to play defense. Defense will decide whether or not we make it to State!

I agree that CPA and DL will advance from this region, and this was not supposed to be a 'basketball year' for DL. Despite some injuries and adversity, DL seems to keep on battling with a deep bench and big team. The one thing CPA has going is their core 5, I think DL substitutes too much. They need to let their starters get in a rythym, and play the majority of the game. DL's coach seems to get frustrated and sit the entire starting line-up. Mind you, there is plenty of talent deep on the bench, but let the starters get their mojo, and they can beat anyone. Substitute one at a time versus the entire line-up???? I am actually looking forward to watching Sanderson become the leader next year. What a player!!

Webb looks to be getting his stride back despite the head gear. Simpson is great at point, but needs to keep the team settled down a little more. Hudson, Hunt, and Andrews are all good in the paint for different reasons. Hudson has the size and is the better rebounder, Hunt can spin, drive, and jump! Andrews can shoot outside as good as a point guard. Such a dynamic bunch of players! Lots of talent, just need good game coaching.

CPA has the tripple threat. Z, Mason, and Anderson. Dynamic trio. They are a thrill to watch, and they rarely (if ever) make mistakes. I don't see anyone taking their throne.

I agree that the entire district has improved (especially East Lit)!! Sad this district will be drastically changed next year. Can you smell an even bigger rivalry between CPA and DL in the years ahead?? I can! Oughta be fun!!

Good luck to all, and good job to 9AA for making it a dog fight everynight!!

DL does have the deeper team! I know Sanderson, Simpson, and Webb...all great players! I like to watch Sanderson and Simpson...Webb is strong underneath the basket and can shoot outside as well. Is Andrews #21...I don't think that is the name that another CPA dad told me. Anyway...#21 is a starting guard, I was told that he is a junior...HE is DL's secret weapon. I have seen DL play in other games besides CPA and #21 is a great player offensively and defensively! Especially defensively. He is a TEAM player and great passer. DL should have a great team again next year with Sanderson, #21, and some other good junior players. With that said, I think that DL will go farther than last year, but not as far as CPA...at least not this year. Next year will be a different story!

I'll give everyone something to comment on. We just finished up with MLK. They kicked our butts tonight. Now we have played everyone in the district. I believe that Antoine Christian is the best pure basketball player in our district. Mason is the toughest matchup and Miller is a tremendous shooter. What do all of you guys think?

So what about the CPA/MLK game tonight? Does anyone have the run down? Was it close the whole game?

DL does have the deeper team! I know Sanderson, Simpson, and Webb...all great players! I like to watch Sanderson and Simpson...Webb is strong underneath the basket and can shoot outside as well. Is Andrews #21...I don't think that is the name that another CPA dad told me. Anyway...#21 is a starting guard, I was told that he is a junior...HE is DL's secret weapon. I have seen DL play in other games besides CPA and #21 is a great player offensively and defensively! Especially defensively. He is a TEAM player and great passer. DL should have a great team again next year with Sanderson, #21, and some other good junior players. With that said, I think that DL will go farther than last year, but not as far as CPA...at least not this year. Next year will be a different story!

CPABALLFAN, I was at the FRA game last night and found out some info on DL #21. His name is Blake Bell and he is a junior. Andrews mentioned above must be Andrew Dickerson, #2, I believe. Both had a very good game against FRA. I was at the game because of friends at FRA, but I have seen DL play several times. They are a very good team, but I find them inconsistent. However, they usually pull out the win! Blake Bell has been consistent in every game I have seen, and DL would have probably lost without him last night. The FRA fans were very happy to see him foul out in the last couple of minutes, but it was a little too late. I was told that Bell, Sanderson, Matthew Powell, and Dickerson are all juniors and play for the Tennessee Tigers AAU team with some other juniors from 9AA and across the state, and was told that they are a very competitive team. DL should have a good team next year, but could use some size. I agree with the above comment about the DL coach's substitutions. I really think that there could be some upsets in the 9AA District Tourney if DL and CPA don't get their teams together and play the ball that they are capable of playing. DL almost got beat last night by FRA, and almost lost to MLK twice. CPA almost lost to Ezell Harding twice and then MLK last night. So I think 9AA could have some surprises!! Good luck....and may the best team win!!

CPABALLFAN, I was at the FRA game last night and found out some info on DL #21. His name is Blake Bell and he is a junior. Andrews mentioned above must be Andrew Dickerson, #2, I believe. Both had a very good game against FRA. I was at the game because of friends at FRA, but I have seen DL play several times. They are a very good team, but I find them inconsistent. However, they usually pull out the win! Blake Bell has been consistent in every game I have seen, and DL would have probably lost without him last night. The FRA fans were very happy to see him foul out in the last couple of minutes, but it was a little too late. I was told that Bell, Sanderson, Matthew Powell, and Dickerson are all juniors and play for the Tennessee Tigers AAU team with some other juniors from 9AA and across the state, and was told that they are a very competitive team. DL should have a good team next year, but could use some size. I agree with the above comment about the DL coach's substitutions. I really think that there could be some upsets in the 9AA District Tourney if DL and CPA don't get their teams together and play the ball that they are capable of playing. DL almost got beat last night by FRA, and almost lost to MLK twice. CPA almost lost to Ezell Harding twice and then MLK last night. So I think 9AA could have some surprises!! Good luck....and may the best team win!!

Thanks for the info....I was curious about DL's team for next year. As for the District Tournament, I do not expect any surprises. Yes, I agree CPA and DL will have to show up to play. But there is no agrument that these two teams have the most overall team talent in the district. Every team in the district has their talented players, they just don't have the deep team talent that CPA and DL have. I am not saying it is going to be easy, but I do think that CPA and DL will come out #1 and #2. Hopefully in that order! Good luck to all 9AA teams, this season has flown by!

Thanks for the info....I was curious about DL's team for next year. As for the District Tournament, I do not expect any surprises. Yes, I agree CPA and DL will have to show up to play. But there is no agrument that these two teams have the most overall team talent in the district. Every team in the district has their talented players, they just don't have the deep team talent that CPA and DL have. I am not saying it is going to be easy, but I do think that CPA and DL will come out #1 and #2. Hopefully in that order! Good luck to all 9AA teams, this season has flown by!

It's the district tournament, there WILL be surprises. Ezell took CPA to overtime. The same Ezell team that lost to Pearl-Cohn. Everyone is beatable in this district.