9AA

junior1

If it wasn't a stall, then why didn't they try and attack it more? Also, watching the game last year, Simpson would drive, but then we would usually pull back. Sounds like quite the offense. I'm pretty sure you're the only person who thought it wasn't a stall.

maybe he was just picking a choosing when to drive, and obviously doing a good job of it....soo good of a job that cpa stopped trying to guard it. why would lipscomb get out of an offense that was working so well just cause cpa wouldn't guard them? seems to make perfectly good sense to me to stand there until guarded rather than comply and run the offense cpa wanted them to run...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think Maddux can be blamed for Hunter Miller getting sick over the summer and David Anderson having two surgeries and then getting injured again. You can't blame Maddux for Z Mason deciding to play or not on any given night. What really happened is the 24/7 basketball mentality of these three players finally caught up with them. You can't blame the kids either. If you're going to "go for broke" then you have to sell out and give it 24/7. You can't blame Maddux for graduating (last year) two seniors that were the perfect compliment to these three great players. You can't blame Maddux for the TSSAA's screw up at the state tournament last season. You can't blame Maddux for running off good players that should be playing (like a few years ago). That hasn't happened. If anything, new players are coming out of the woodwork at CPA. It's already ready starting to happen.....the kids want to play for him and you will see him build a future powerhouse at CPA (if he stays).

So for me, if Maddux, through all of this, manages to rally the troups and pull off a district title and maybe even a region title, then he is without a doubt "coach of the year" in 9AA. Talk about overcoming adversity. Either way, he's still a great coach that will see many more great seasons. If there is any one thing that Drew could improve on it would be talking to the refs less and coaching more. He's like having another really smart man on the floor when he's got his head in the game and not on the refs. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

So essentially, no one is to blame for CPA underperforming? And you're wrong with the statement that you can't blame Maddux for Z not wanting to play some nights. Granted, some players are more stubborn than others, but it is the coach's responsibility to motivate his players.

agreed

Hmm... I seem to remember CPA holding the ball for the entire third quarter in the 2004 region finals. You do what you have to in order to win.

Plus, last year DL ran the same offense the whole game, just eventually when DL was tooling CPA with it CPA decided not to guard them. Give DL credit for taking advantage of the rules. Get over yourselves... apparently you all would not do what was needed to win.

Hmm... I seem to remember CPA holding the ball for the entire third quarter in the 2004 region finals. You do what you have to in order to win.

Plus, last year DL ran the same offense the whole game, just eventually when DL was tooling CPA with it CPA decided not to guard them. Give DL credit for taking advantage of the rules. Get over yourselves... apparently you all would not do what was needed to win.

Ha Ha....how can you take advantage of the rules when you lost? I believe CPA won that championship game last year against DL as well as the other games that year. In fact, we totally put in to you in your own gym. A clean sweep by a CPA team that won the district and region titles. In regards to the 2007-08 season, why should we get over ourselves.....we won.

If you're going to talk about last year then at least have something to back it up with. 0-3 against CPA doesn't exactly give you bragging rights. On the other hand, I give credit to Coach McPherson for playing that game in the only way that DL could possibly win. He knew that he'd have to slow the game way down to have a prayer of winning. He almost succeeded by simply choosing not to play. Boring but effective.

Now let me say that the DL-CPA match up on Tuesday will be a classic. It will go to the team that takes care of the ball and makes free throws.

Ha Ha....how can you take advantage of the rules when you lost? I believe CPA won that championship game last year against DL as well as the other games that year. In fact, we totally put in to you in your own gym. A clean sweep by a CPA team that won the district and region titles. In regards to the 2007-08 season, why should we get over ourselves.....we won.

If you're going to talk about last year then at least have something to back it up with. 0-3 against CPA doesn't exactly give you bragging rights. On the other hand, I give credit to Coach McPherson for playing that game in the only way that DL could possibly win. He knew that he'd have to slow the game way down to have a prayer of winning. He almost succeeded by simply choosing not to play. Boring but effective.

Now let me say that the DL-CPA match up on Tuesday will be a classic. It will go to the team that takes care of the ball and makes free throws.

I don't know who you're referring to when you use the word "you." I am in no way connected with DL. You just restated everything I said. McPherson played the only game that he could win with. Now, he didn't win, but that style gave him the best chance to do so, and if that means taking advantage of the rules, so be it.

It was CPA that chose not to play. CPA could have come out and guarded them if they really wanted to, but they chose not to. If CPA had put pressure on the ball, that would have forced DL to move the ball around. But when CPA did that DL scored on them because the defense was so spread out. CPA fans need to stop acting like if using this same technique gave their team the best chance of winning that CPA wouldn't do it... in fact CPA has done it as I already stated.

maybe he was just picking a choosing when to drive, and obviously doing a good job of it....soo good of a job that cpa stopped trying to guard it. why would lipscomb get out of an offense that was working so well just cause cpa wouldn't guard them? seems to make perfectly good sense to me to stand there until guarded rather than comply and run the offense cpa wanted them to run...

Oh yeah, my bad. Dean Smith, arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time, ran something like this. You know what he called it? Hmm, I can't remember. Oh, that's right, he called it a stall. Well, the few times they did attack, it worked, DL just didn't know how to make layups when they counted. It was a stall because it stalled the overall flow of the game, if we want to look at it very simply.

Regardless if you want to call it a stall, CPA would do the exact same thing if that is what it took to win. Do not act like CPA is almighty and plays some fair game like it's supposed to play. They would do the exact same thing if that is what it took to win. Who cares what offense you run as long as it is legal and helps you win. I mean is CPA too good to run a slow down offense? Or are they just too mighty and fair to ever do something like that? Ridiculous...Secondly, CPA dropped back off of DL way before DL held the ball. Their offense was great, so CPA went to a sag off defense.

Regardless if you want to call it a stall, CPA would do the exact same thing if that is what it took to win. Do not act like CPA is almighty and plays some fair game like it's supposed to play. They would do the exact same thing if that is what it took to win. Who cares what offense you run as long as it is legal and helps you win. I mean is CPA too good to run a slow down offense? Or are they just too mighty and fair to ever do something like that? Ridiculous...Secondly, CPA dropped back off of DL way before DL held the ball. Their offense was great, so CPA went to a sag off defense.

Ha.....so let me get this straight. DL's offense, in that championship game (that CPA won) was so great that CPA had to back off. No, I don't think so and most folks would not agree either after DL had gone 0-2 against CPA before that game. Here is what happened. Coach McPherson knew that the DL team could not run with last years CPA team so he did what any good coach (including Maddux) would do. He slowed the game to a crawl and made it a chess match. He spread the floor and caused CPA to overplay the ball which did indeed cause problems for CPA. CPA made the adjustment to pull back into a zone and DL stood in the corners with the ball and let the clock run. Maddux chose to let them. That's how Coach McPherson equalized the talent on the floor. It totally worked and DL almost won. No one ever said that CPA was to mighty to play a game that way. Just like any team, they will do whatever needs to be done (inside the rules) to win.

By the way flatline17, it's amazing how you can still spout off about CPA but have nothing to back it up with. CPA won the district and the region and went to the state tournament. They didn't lose a single game in the state of TN last year until the state tournament. It was one of those years to remember. Why not just be happy for the guys. Other schools will have their day.

It was a rare "up" year. 9AA in not usually represented at the BORO. We'll see how tomorrow goes in the 9AA championship game. David Lipscomb will be tough. They are playing very well. I hope it's a classic.

Ha.....so let me get this straight. DL's offense, in that championship game (that CPA won) was so great that CPA had to back off. No, I don't think so and most folks would not agree either after DL had gone 0-2 against CPA before that game. Here is what happened. Coach McPherson knew that the DL team could not run with last years CPA team so he did what any good coach (including Maddux) would do. He slowed the game to a crawl and made it a chess match. He spread the floor and caused CPA to overplay the ball which did indeed cause problems for CPA. CPA made the adjustment to pull back into a zone and DL stood in the corners with the ball and let the clock run. Maddux chose to let them. That's how Coach McPherson equalized the talent on the floor. It totally worked and DL almost won. No one ever said that CPA was to mighty to play a game that way. Just like any team, they will do whatever needs to be done (inside the rules) to win.

I will simply put it at this.....lovedeball you have no idea what your talking about

It was CPA that chose not to play. CPA could have come out and guarded them if they really wanted to, but they chose not to. If CPA had put pressure on the ball, that would have forced DL to move the ball around. But when CPA did that DL scored on them because the defense was so spread out. CPA fans need to stop acting like if using this same technique gave their team the best chance of winning that CPA wouldn't do it... in fact CPA has done it as I already stated.

The glass is half full-CPA stalled by not playing defense. Glass half empty-DL stalled by not attacking on offense. Shot clock anyone?

By the way flatline17, it's amazing how you can still spout off about CPA but have nothing to back it up with. CPA won the district and the region and went to the state tournament. They didn't lose a single game in the state of TN last year until the state tournament. It was one of those years to remember. Why not just be happy for the guys. Other schools will have their day.

It was a rare "up" year. 9AA in not usually represented at the BORO. We'll see how tomorrow goes in the 9AA championship game. David Lipscomb will be tough. They are playing very well. I hope it's a classic.

I have never once said that CPA was bad or anything of that sort last year. I don't understand how I have nothing to back up my point that it was not just DL that played a role in the "stalling" of the game. CPA also did what they had to win, and that was to sit back and not attack the offense. CPA, when attacking on defense, was getting torched and scored on with DL's quick ball movement.