Best SS in Mid-State?

mrwebgem

If "this area" is Maury County then the answer is yes. There have been players that were more talented than him but he is the one that made it all the way.

Uggla is going to make over $5 million next year in MLB.

You said players. As in plural.

Who all did MLB miss from Maury Co? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uggla is going to make over $5 million next year in MLB.

You said players. As in plural.

Who all did MLB miss from Maury Co? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Bobby Bratton, Todd Bell, Michael Johnson. Just to name a few. Also, I did not say anything to discredit what Dan has done. He has worked his but off and is very talented. All I said was, there have been players with more natural ability that either never got a shot or screwed up the shot they got. He is easily the biggest "name" ever from around here but not the most talented player ever from around here. Just my opinion.

Bobby Bratton, Todd Bell, Michael Johnson. Just to name a few. Also, I did not say anything to discredit what Dan has done. He has worked his but off and is very talented. All I said was, there have been players with more natural ability that either never got a shot or screwed up the shot they got. He is easily the biggest "name" ever from around here but not the most talented player ever from around here. Just my opinion.

Maybe not the most talented youth league player while he was there, but you can't deny the results. As far as I know, Uggla is the only guy that came off the Maury County sandlots that made it to the pros. Claude Osteen from Marshall Co. and Mike Smithson from Hickman Co. made it to the bigs as pitchers. John Shelby played at Columbia State and played in the bigs as an outfielder, but he wasn't a local kid.

Maybe not the most talented youth league player while he was there, but you can't deny the results. As far as I know, Uggla is the only guy that came off the Maury County sandlots that made it to the pros. Claude Osteen from Marshall Co. and Mike Smithson from Hickman Co. made it to the bigs as pitchers. John Shelby played at Columbia State and played in the bigs as an outfielder, but he wasn't a local kid.

Eddie Pye played at Columbia Central in the 80's and made it to the big leagues with the Dodgers for a couple of seasons. Not many people know that it seems. Everybody listed in this discussion was a great player. I am sure there are plenty of other stories from around the state about players that should have gotten shots and never did.

He may not be the best, but he is top 5. Kyle Quillen from Sycamore High School. Senior and 4th year to start the position. 415 plus hitter and has Ju Co's begging for him (from what I was told). He is easily the MVP favorite for district 11AA.

Kendall Keeton from Colombia is good

Michael Moore from BGA is good

Both are WAY better then Dylan Golden, Golden did not make all region last year btw. Michael Moore was DII-AA 2nd baseman for the all region team....Father Ryan is WAY overrated and BGA will sweep them this year in their series

• 4 weeks later...

I've played against all these guys and they are all good but the best shortstop I played against was Jake Little at Franklin. He is the whole package plus one of the best pitchers I've ever faced. He was hurt last year as a Freshman, keep an eye on this kid

Little is pretty incredible he truly is the whole package. His hitting is kind of shaky but it is coming along. He hit a bomb the other night. He is in contention.

Jake is good but not proven. If you are looking for up and comming mid infielders who have not yet played/proven themselves, then my vote is Mookie Betts from Overton, Tyler Fullerton from siegel, and Alex Von Dolen from Blackman - all played with Jake in summer ball. All four of these have their strengths.

Best in the mid state? Sam Dove - going to GT or Auburn.

"Right here, Right now"

betts is at second right now. if we are going by middle infielders not just ss yes he is at the top. led team in batting average as a freshman and solid defensively.